2017 Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team - Ferrari

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
TAG

Re: 2017 Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team - Ferrari

Currently 5th place in what's arguably the best car for the fist half of the season is good enough for a contract renewal? Not enough IMO, Vettel must have very iron clad contract stipulations.
माकडाच्या हाती कोलीत

Schuttelberg

TAG wrote:
22 Aug 2017, 14:23
Currently 5th place in what's arguably the best car for the fist half of the season is good enough for a contract renewal? Not enough IMO, Vettel must have very iron clad contract stipulations.
Vettel is extra ordinary!

He's responsible for global warming, NY traffic and now even Raikkonen's performances!
"Sebastian there's very, you're a member of a very select few.. Stewart, Lauda, Piquet, Senna, Prost, Schumacher, Fangio.. VETTEL!"

iotar__

Critical mass of absurd driver decision has been reached. After two seasons of losing everything that was possible, including no excuses '17 car, not only do they keep Raikkonen but they also offer insane money for mediocre performance to Vettel. Enjoy losing everything next season "Ferrari fans".

Add to that open cheating (China, GB), team orders and non-existent competitiveness both internal (Rosberg, Raikkonen) and between teams and the answer is - why bother with F1. Sport where the only story from the race is two sets of team orders from two top teams.

Zynerji

iotar__ wrote:
22 Aug 2017, 15:24
Critical mass of absurd driver decision has been reached. After two seasons of losing everything that was possible, including no excuses '17 car, not only do they keep Raikkonen but they also offer insane money for mediocre performance to Vettel. Enjoy losing everything next season "Ferrari fans".

Add to that open cheating (China, GB), team orders and non-existent competitiveness both internal (Rosberg, Raikkonen) and between teams and the answer is - why bother with F1. Sport where the only story from the race is two sets of team orders from two top teams.
*sniffle*

It must burn you pretty bad to see the "mediocre" performance putting Seb 14 points in the lead of the championship.

Makes everyone else even more mediocre.

F1NAC

outsid3r wrote:
22 Aug 2017, 14:07
F1NAC wrote:
22 Aug 2017, 12:51
Kimi stays with Scuderia in 2018.
Do you think SEB is really considering a move to Merc. given that Kimi was confirmed first?
Probably next week we will hear also for Seb

Sevach
Sevach

It doesn't make a lot of sense to hire a new driver now, they should wait out with Kimi and go for their guy Leclerc in 2 years.

Plus i'm sure this makes Vettel happy.

JonoNic

Sevach wrote:It doesn't make a lot of sense to hire a new driver now, they should wait out with Kimi and go for their guy Leclerc in 2 years.

Plus i'm sure this makes Vettel happy.
A happy driver wins you titles. Alonso was unfortunately unhappy and his relationship with the team deteriorated. Maybe they learnt from that? A happy Alonso in the 2017 Ferrari would have done better than an unhappy one.

Always find the gap then use it.

Powy
Powy

Radio Raikkonen | Kimi's Top 5 Moments of 2017 So Far

f1316
f1316

Personally, I've come to think Ferrari ought to have called Sebastian's bluff. You're in a competitive, championship leading Ferrari and you're still looking around at Mercedes for 2019, not wanting to commit for the long-term? Well then, we don't need you.

Ferrari's Real Madrid, NY Yankees - yes, you can imagine a player leaving the team when struggling, ala Alonso, but when winning? Plenty of other drivers wanting the drive - including Alonso, who, I've come to believe, has the edge on Seb.

I would have liked to have seen a Fernando + Gio/Leclerc team for next season; too late for that now but if Seb still won't do more than 1 year, can still put a rookie in with Kimi if needed
Last edited by f1316 on 23 Aug 2017, 08:31, edited 1 time in total.

Fulcrum
Fulcrum

I think a bit more creative energy could be spent assessing why Raikkonen was confirmed before Vettel. Here's my conspiracy theory.

I assume the extension for Raikkonen will be his last - were this not to be the case, it could only be as a function of massively increased performance on his part, which seems unlikely given his late career trajectory.

Negotiations with Vettel have hit a roadblock; likely as not, the duration of employment. I know there has been a lot of speculation about the sticking point being 1 or 2 years, but I'm wondering if there is, in fact, a significant chance Vettel leaves at the end of this year?

If Vettel were to leave, Raikkonen provides continuity, decent performance and development knowledge to support whoever takes Vettel's place. At the same time, signing Raikkonen is a move on Ferrari's part that both placates and places pressure on Vettel to sign with Ferrari for 2 years, not 1.

It is placatory in the sense that Raikkonen is obviously a highly compliant teammate for Vettel, but the realities of Ferrari's succession plans dictate that Raikkonen would not hold the same length contract as Vettel, given Ferrari - and most large teams - don't normally field brand new driver lineups.

This move is effectively a statement on the behalf of Ferrari, whereby they highly prejudice the 1-year option, in favour of a 2-year option, with the possibility of no extension at all.

I don't think Vettel leaving Ferrari at the end of this year would suit Ferrari, but under the right circumstances it might suit Vettel. Winning the Championship and swapping seats with Bottas perhaps? It would be controversial to leave Ferrari as a World Champion. Not winning, and getting an early case of Alonso-itus? Possibly, especially if a Mercedes seat is available.

In all likelihood the Raikkonen extension confirms Vettel will stay for 2 years, but there is scope for alternative arrangement.

f1316
f1316

Yes, I think that's an accurate analysis. There is a reasonable possibility that Kimi's retention is as much about car development continuity in the case of Seb's departure as an attempt to placate Vettel (although it does fortunately fulfill both functions).

I don't think a swap with Bottas is a likely solution though; if indeed there's any possibility of a Seb/Lewis teammate situation at Merc, that could well be highly combustible, and Bottas is a proven understudy that I'm sure they'd like to keep in their pocket. Moreover Ferrari are looking to place their own development drivers, so suspect wouldn't be interested in a Bottas/Kimi partnership (as exciting as that sounds! ;) )

Part of me thinks that you want to do a Hamilton with Leclerc - I.e. Take your hot property, dominant champion from lower formulas and put him straight into a competitive car; that allows him to maintain that momentum and self-belief, in tandem with a steady (but eminently beatable) hand in Kimi in terms of car development direction.

As you say, I think the likelihood is Vettel stays in one form or another, but personal view is that he's not indispensable and Ferrari have two very viable options: invest in youth and throw Leclerc straight in, or take a proven property like Alonso who would bite your hand off for the second bite at the Ferrari cherry. They don't need to retain a driver who's clearly not overly committed to the long-term project.

GPR-A duplicate2

f1316 wrote:
23 Aug 2017, 06:31
Personally, I've come to think Ferrari ought to have called Sebastian's bluff. You're in a competitive, championship leading Ferrari and you're still looking around at Mercedes for 2019, not wanting to commit for the long-term? Well then, we don't need you.
If there is one driver on the grid, who is not greatly hungry to win a/another title, it is Vettel. His motivation is to win another title with Ferrari. He is still a great bet than most others on the grid. For the simple reason that, if Ferrari doesn't make a clear championship WINNER (not just a contender), the chances of any other competitive driver (who is really longing to win a/another championship) would leave, the way Alonso did. Vettel has 4 titles and it's been three years since he has joined Ferrari, but hasn't really made too much of a fuss about his frustrations of not winning a title (so far). Imagine another hungry driver, by now they would be making all sorts of threats. So, he is still their best bet.
f1316 wrote:
Ferrari's Real Madrid, NY Yankees - yes, you can imagine a player leaving the team when struggling, ala Alonso, but when winning? Plenty of other drivers wanting the drive - including Alonso, who, I've come to believe, has the edge on Seb.
Any team would be a lucrative option, only if it is winning, regardless of which team it is. Imagine if anyone wanted to join Mercedes in 2012? But now? Imagine Seb or Mark quitting Red Bull in 2012 because they got an offer from Ferrari then!
f1316 wrote:
I would have liked to have seen a Fernando + Gio/Leclerc team for next season; too late for that now but if Seb still won't do more than 1 year, can still put a rookie in with Kimi if needed
The chances of Ferrari quitting F1 are higher than they putting a rookie in their car. They are not Red Bull, who invest in their young drivers heavily and then reap the rewards of having developed them. Ferrari has always gone for established (not just experienced) drivers and it's hard to imagine why they would change it now.

WaikeCU

Fulcrum wrote:
23 Aug 2017, 07:12
I think a bit more creative energy could be spent assessing why Raikkonen was confirmed before Vettel. Here's my conspiracy theory.

I assume the extension for Raikkonen will be his last - were this not to be the case, it could only be as a function of massively increased performance on his part, which seems unlikely given his late career trajectory.

Negotiations with Vettel have hit a roadblock; likely as not, the duration of employment. I know there has been a lot of speculation about the sticking point being 1 or 2 years, but I'm wondering if there is, in fact, a significant chance Vettel leaves at the end of this year?

If Vettel were to leave, Raikkonen provides continuity, decent performance and development knowledge to support whoever takes Vettel's place. At the same time, signing Raikkonen is a move on Ferrari's part that both placates and places pressure on Vettel to sign with Ferrari for 2 years, not 1.

It is placatory in the sense that Raikkonen is obviously a highly compliant teammate for Vettel, but the realities of Ferrari's succession plans dictate that Raikkonen would not hold the same length contract as Vettel, given Ferrari - and most large teams - don't normally field brand new driver lineups.

This move is effectively a statement on the behalf of Ferrari, whereby they highly prejudice the 1-year option, in favour of a 2-year option, with the possibility of no extension at all.

I don't think Vettel leaving Ferrari at the end of this year would suit Ferrari, but under the right circumstances it might suit Vettel. Winning the Championship and swapping seats with Bottas perhaps? It would be controversial to leave Ferrari as a World Champion. Not winning, and getting an early case of Alonso-itus? Possibly, especially if a Mercedes seat is available.

In all likelihood the Raikkonen extension confirms Vettel will stay for 2 years, but there is scope for alternative arrangement.
Actually, If Vettel doesn't win the WDC this season, it would mean 3 years without a single title at Ferrari. It would still mean, Kimi being the last Ferrari driver to win the WDC.

What must be said is when Kimi was 1st driver for the team, he was always in the running for the Championship. Whether he was at Mclaren, Ferrari and his comeback at Lotus. It's mainly when he returned back to Ferrari he wasn't the no.1 driver with Alonso then and now Vettel being his teammates.

I'm quite sure with a great car Kimi can perform at his best when the team fully backs him up. His results prior to his comeback to Ferrari, does say so.

LionKing
LionKing

WaikeCU wrote:
23 Aug 2017, 12:35
Actually, If Vettel doesn't win the WDC this season, it would mean 3 years without a single title at Ferrari. It would still mean, Kimi being the last Ferrari driver to win the WDC.

What must be said is when Kimi was 1st driver for the team, he was always in the running for the Championship. Whether he was at Mclaren, Ferrari and his comeback at Lotus. It's mainly when he returned back to Ferrari he wasn't the no.1 driver with Alonso then and now Vettel being his teammates.

I'm quite sure with a great car Kimi can perform at his best when the team fully backs him up. His results prior to his comeback to Ferrari, does say so.
His results compared to Massa, prior to his comeback, would indicate otherwise. There was really nothing in between him and Massa. I think Kimi is a very good driver as is Massa, but the problem is they are not great drivers. For instance Schumacher was on the average half a second quicker than Massa at quali in 2006 ( being an average, that is huge).

That being said Ferrari might have done the right thing. RBR drivers are under contract, if they want to get one of them in 2019, gambling on another driver for a single year does not make much sense.

Vanja #66

Seb will remain in the team for 3 more years...

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/13143 ... hree-years
And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#Aerogimli
#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie