Renault Power Unit Hardware & Software

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
63l8qrrfy6

Re: Renault V6 Power Unit

carisi2k wrote:
02 Jul 2017, 00:48
Godius wrote:
01 Jul 2017, 13:32
Incorrect, in this interview he states that the failure was oil-pressure related, it was not caused by debris. The debris flew away from VES his radiator already in lap 3. That's why they did not box him just like RIC.
Can you not join the dots. The oil pressure issue was most likely as a result of that debris for 3 laps. Regardless of if the debris cleared the damage was done during those 3 laps. Oil temperatures rose and Max didn't help the situation by sitting right up the rear end of perez immediately after and the engine heat from Perez drove the final nail into the coffin and then instead of coming into the pits immediately he did an extra lap for some reason.
Although this sounds plausible I find it hard to believe that the team failed to notice dangerous temps. I think they would have called him in right away had they thought there was a risk of damage.

carisi2k

Mudflap wrote:
02 Jul 2017, 12:54

Although this sounds plausible I find it hard to believe that the team failed to notice dangerous temps. I think they would have called him in right away had they thought there was a risk of damage.
The debris cleared itself and so the temperatures would have went back down, but the damage was already done and with Max being Max he pushed up to perez close after the temps came back to normal and the engine just wasn't ready for another spike yet and let go.

I'm not saying Max is at fault, but I don't think Red Bull or Renault should be blamed either in this situation. Red Bull was running low drag to keep up with the Mercedes powered vehicles and this probably meant reduced cooling tolerances.

ME4ME

carisi2k wrote:
02 Jul 2017, 14:04
Red Bull was running low drag to keep up with the Mercedes powered vehicles and this probably meant reduced cooling tolerances.
Teams are always on the limit regarding cooling. Baku is no different.

PlatinumZealot

carisi2k wrote:
02 Jul 2017, 00:48
Godius wrote:
01 Jul 2017, 13:32
Incorrect, in this interview he states that the failure was oil-pressure related, it was not caused by debris. The debris flew away from VES his radiator already in lap 3. That's why they did not box him just like RIC.
Can you not join the dots. The oil pressure issue was most likely as a result of that debris for 3 laps. Regardless of if the debris cleared the damage was done during those 3 laps. Oil temperatures rose and Max didn't help the situation by sitting right up the rear end of perez immediately after and the engine heat from Perez drove the final nail into the coffin and then instead of coming into the pits immediately he did an extra lap for some reason.
How do you make out a hot engine to cause low oil pressure?
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

godlameroso

Because hotter oil has lower viscosity, and less resistance for the oil pump to push oil past bearings.

That doesn't really apply to these engines, if there is an oil pressure problem you have bearing issues or a leak somewhere.
Saishū kōnā

godlameroso

Is Hulkenberg using a new spec engine or something? I find it curious that his car is almost as fast as the Red Bull.
Saishū kōnā

Swobber

godlameroso wrote:
16 Jul 2017, 12:14
Is Hulkenberg using a new spec engine or something? I find it curious that his car is almost as fast as the Red Bull.
Maybe its the new floor?

f1316

Swobber wrote:
16 Jul 2017, 13:51
godlameroso wrote:
Maybe its the new floor?
What's interesting to me is that the works Renault team are consistently better in quali than race; I wonder if they have a better quali map than their customers (ala Merc)?

wuzak

f1316 wrote:
26 Jul 2017, 09:58
Swobber wrote:
16 Jul 2017, 13:51
godlameroso wrote:
Maybe its the new floor?
What's interesting to me is that the works Renault team are consistently better in quali than race; I wonder if they have a better quali map than their customers (ala Merc)?
Or Hulkenberg is an ace qualifier but so-so racer?

Or the car wears its tyres to much in races?

PlatinumZealot

Renault were always good at susepnsion tricks. So the chassis shines on tracks such as theses. That fact that they are close to RedBull today more indicates improved aerodynamics. For the poor race pace, i can only guess that they need just a bit more understanding of their aero balance (it is a new kit afterall) and of course tyre temperature management. Knocking on what Wuzak said too, Hulk while good at generating tyre heat over one lap, he was never great at managing his tyres over a race. See hulk V perez at force india.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Blackout

Didnt you watch the last two races? Now the Renault has also a good race pace thanks to the latest aerodynamic updates which have greatly changed the characteristics of the car.

dren

Renault changed too much of their PU which caused the reliability issues this year. Sound familiar?

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.ph ... e-for-2017
Honda!

skoop

So Renault will bring updates to Spa/Monza:

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/13133 ... ne-updates

carisi2k

skoop wrote:
22 Aug 2017, 09:39
So Renault will bring updates to Spa/Monza:

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/13133 ... ne-updates
If the engine is any good I would say it is a safe bet that Red Bull would take the penalties since they are so far behind Mercedes and Ferrari and so far ahead of Force India and the mid pack. Anything that could help them for 2018 would be worthwhile for testing in 2017.

Blackout

The Renault intake plenum* has an odd shape. Bell said they have found an interesting solution in that area (for the air supply or was it for the cooling?)
*Or is that another intecooler (placed in front of the manifold) you can see one the sidepod-intercooler-to-the-manifold pipe, with the green cap, just behind that thing
https://twitter.com/Albrodpul