[MVRC] Mantium Virtual Racecar Challenge 2017

Post here information about your own engineering projects, including but not limited to building your own car or designing a virtual car through CAD.
etsmc

Re: [MVRC] Mantium Virtual Racecar Challenge 2017

variante wrote:
21 Aug 2017, 03:34
etsmc wrote:
21 Aug 2017, 03:15
Had to make a quick last minute resubmission as I forgot to include a file in my original submission.

Quick question here.
If I have run a simulation with a basic body with no wings and have the results if I then add a rear wing can I simply take the new results and subtract the original results to find out how much the rear wing has added or removed from the car?

say the original no wing simulation had a
cd=0.4
cl=0.7

simulation with a rear wing had
cd=0.5
cl=1.2

could it be assumed that the rear wing values would be
cd=0.1
cl=0.5
giving the rear wing a cd/cl of 5?
Yeah but that´s just an approximation. The wing interacts with the body of the car, so the Cd and Cl that you have gained have been produced by the wing AND the rest of the bodywork together. The actual values of the wing itself would be different. But I think that, for your purposes, that calculation is good enough.

Thanks for the clarification.
Yes, I understand there is an interaction, I guess the most influential interaction would be that of the rear wing and the exit of the diffuser? Improving the efficiency of the floor?

rjsa

Yup, it affects since the nose splitter all the way down to the rear diffuser, HX included.

LVDH

I have just prepared the first four cases. It looks like you guys are getting better at preparing the cars for the race. On those four cars I had only one CAD related issue to fix. The Mercury and the Pure Power Racing cars are nicely meshed. Maybe you guys could lay out what your process is. It could help the others.

RicME85

I have just uploaded my car as I have been able to get out of bed for 5mins so did that whilst up.
Here is what I have submitted for the second race:

Ft5fTL

LVDH wrote:
21 Aug 2017, 16:02
I have just prepared the first four cases. It looks like you guys are getting better at preparing the cars for the race. On those four cars I had only one CAD related issue to fix. The Mercury and the Pure Power Racing cars are nicely meshed. Maybe you guys could lay out what your process is. It could help the others.
Nurbs and proboolean does the job nicely on 3ds max. I dont think anyone here uses 3D Studio Max though. If there is anyone i will glady lend some help for the meshing process.
Mantium Challenge - Pure Power Racing

etsmc

LVDH wrote:
Are you sure it was not my car (MercuryMotorsport) that you had to fix??
I am still using sketchup 8 for my car :oops:

LVDH

RicME85 wrote:
21 Aug 2017, 16:08
I have just uploaded my car as I have been able to get out of bed for 5mins so did that whilst up.
Here is what I have submitted for the second race:
http://i.imgur.com/qHGKqv7.png
Looks pretty cool. Last race I though the two most elegant cars were the intro class cars. Strange that the designer could not carry that over for the main car. I can say that the Nürburgring edition looks better though.

etsmc wrote:
22 Aug 2017, 01:47
LVDH wrote:
Are you sure it was not my car (MercuryMotorsport) that you had to fix??
I am still using sketchup 8 for my car :oops:
Yepp, I have now prepared all full entries. CAD cleanup took much less time than usual. So good work guys.

IDADOX still needs to understand what convergence means. While we never achieve 100%, there is one plot that is still dropping even after 3500 iterations. This is a shame because the car is an overall very good design but will probably not have full engine power.
Variante has a strange monitoring surface for his HX. It looks like a flattened volume or something. The are triangles overlapping each other. This can cause a flow to get measured twice. On SHM there was also a bad tessellation of this surface.
If you have one central engine intake, please do not separate the part into two files. If that separation is slightly off of the symmetry plane, this could cause issues.
CAEdevice submitted wheels and suspension parts. Please do not do this.

And thanks to JJR. Usually he has the most annoying to fix car. While there is nothing bad with the geometry, I always have to separate the radiators, all the surfaces and so on. Thanks to Chris and his fine rule book this is now over.

My prediction is that we will see a tight battle between JJR and CAEdevice. While the CAEdevice is a fine tuned well known design, JJR has the more interesting concept. Lets see if he bring this concept to the top this race.
Images should be available tomorrow.

garyjpaterson

Just a bystander, but really enjoying following this. Can't wait to see the latest iterations!

Keep up the good work :)

variante

LVDH wrote:
22 Aug 2017, 10:53
Variante has a strange monitoring surface for his HX. It looks like a flattened volume or something. The are triangles overlapping each other. This can cause a flow to get measured twice.
Yeah...I think this happens because I don't triangulate entirely the surface manually. But even with that, the triangulation gets partially messed up during the STL conversion... (but don't worry guys...I don't need to gain anything on the cooling side, as I have tons air going through those surfaces anyways).

My problem, on the other hand, is still front downforce: I finally managed to test the car that I submitted and found out that I'm not fighting for the podium...
My n°1 for this round is JJR, closely followed by CAEdevice, and then TF, who is going to "unleash his actual powers" from the next round.

CAEdevice

My expectations for the next race are:
1) JJR, with huge margin 2) Variante 3-4-5) TF, CAEdevice, Rjsa 6) BrookMotorsport (RicME).
Last edited by CAEdevice on 22 Aug 2017, 14:40, edited 1 time in total.

rjsa

I realy hope to have the same reults I had at home - I ran 3500 and HX flow was rasing by the end, above 3 already.

I understand convergence, but my setup got really crazy with the new solver. I know that for sepang, where I'll drop the gurneys, things look way smoother.

etsmc

CAEdevice wrote:
22 Aug 2017, 13:58
My expectations for the next race are:
1) JJR, with huge margin 2) Variante 3-4-5) TF, CAEdevice, Rjsa 6) BrookMotorsport (RicME).
I hope to hang on to my 6th place from the first round. If my results are anything close to the official results I am looking at an increase in cd/cl and fingers crossed for 100% power. [-o< [-o<

Race 2 and it is getting exciting =D>

LVDH

The images are out:
http://mantiumchallenge.com/cars-mvrc-nurburgring-2017/
Somehow the slider is oddly skewed. By clicking on an image, it appears in a bigger size. No idea how to fix this.

RicME85

There is a slider? I get a button on the left and right of the image to go forward and backward. When I click them nothing happens other than cycling through the image as it is supposed to do

Alonso Fan

RicME85 wrote:
23 Aug 2017, 13:57
There is a slider? I get a button on the left and right of the image to go forward and backward. When I click them nothing happens other than cycling through the image as it is supposed to do
Same here
SHR Modding
Youtube
Twitter
Discord

Sound Developer for Reiza Studios
Sound Modder for Assetto Corsa