Mercedes AMG Hyper Car

Breaking news, useful data or technical highlights or vehicles that are not meant to race. You can post commercial vehicle news or developments here.
Please post topics on racing variants in "other racing categories".
Cold Fussion

Re: Mercedes AMG Hyper Car

It will be interesting to see how useful the MGU-H is at harvesting in real world applications with the vast majority of the operating time is spent at ~<10% WOT.

Just_a_fan

VARIANT | one wrote:
13 Sep 2017, 02:34
Holm86 wrote:
12 Sep 2017, 11:46
They are two different philosophies, the Merc is a study in powertrain efficiency, and the Aston is all about aero.
Though the Aston will have an amazing engine, it won't be as efficient as the Merc powertrain.
Is there a need for powetrain efficiency, though? I'm trying to picture the average Valkyrie or Project One buyer skipping on a day at the track because "fuel just got too cost prohibitive". Ha ha.
If the efficient but slightly dull engine gives higher performance it might be seen as a good thing.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

OO7
OO7

timbo wrote:
12 Sep 2017, 07:19
Somewhat uninspiring IMO. The tech behind the car is undisputable, but the styling is bland.
I agree.

CHT
CHT

bland styling is typical of the german. But I will reserve the judgement until seeing the real thing is perhaps different colour.

hurril

CHT wrote:
14 Sep 2017, 16:14
bland styling is typical of the german. But I will reserve the judgement until seeing the real thing is perhaps different colour.
I think the word you are looking for is "Tasteful" as contrasted with american: flamboyant or tacky :)

VARIANT | one

Andres125sx wrote:
13 Sep 2017, 08:24
VARIANT | one wrote:

Is there a need for powetrain efficiency, though? I'm trying to picture the average Valkyrie or Project One buyer skipping on a day at the track because "fuel just got too cost prohibitive". Ha ha.
Obviously no, but if we become logical, then there´s no need for any hypercar
I guess I don't really understand what a "hypercar" is. :?

Cold Fussion wrote:
13 Sep 2017, 10:06
It will be interesting to see how useful the MGU-H is at harvesting in real world applications with the vast majority of the operating time is spent at ~<10% WOT.
Yeah, this came to mind when I started noticing that "regular" "supercars", namely the Viper ACR and Lamborghini Huracan Performante, started putting in lap times a lot of places quicker than $1 mil+ hybrid "hypercars". It's fun, I'm sure, to quote 1000 horsepower!* (and then whisper, *...combined), but you've got to wonder if there aren't gaps at a lot of tracks where you don't have enough charge in the tank, so to speak, to actually put that down, and you're basically just on the ICE, and pulling around dead weight.

Just_a_fan

The reality is that most of these hypercars (or supercars for that matter) aren't driven hard, many aren't driven at all in any meaningful sense. They're bought as investments and they're bought as a way of showing off wealth.A headline figure of 1000hp is more important than how it is achieved in this context.

The AMG One will beat a Veyron to 120mph (<6 seconds) according to AMG. How many people are going to actually do that outside of the media test drives?
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Edax

hurril wrote:
14 Sep 2017, 16:44
CHT wrote:
14 Sep 2017, 16:14
I think the word you are looking for is "Tasteful" as contrasted with american: flamboyant or tacky :)
I think that taste has little to to with it. Within a given set of constraints the most optimal solutions will allways converge, to something sleek and bland. Distinguishing features on cars rather reduce efficiency than enhance them. I mean lamborghini's may be great for radar avoidance, but all the angles have little to do with aero.

The mercedes car is just a study in efficiency. I can imagine that the only consessions the engineers made to the stylists were the exhaust and the logo embossed fin.

As for the American cars. As a European I always considered them studies in ridiculousness. But since the car rental treated me to one of the these hemi powered monsters I start to get it. Yes they are build from pig iron and cheap plastic, and they are designed by a chinese toy company. But yet you keep grinning all the way while emptying the tank, smoking up the tires and rolling down the windows at each and every overpass or tunnel.

There is no point to high performance cars, and yet that is exactly the point.

VARIANT | one

Edax wrote:
14 Sep 2017, 23:31

Within a given set of constraints the most optimal solutions will allways converge, to something sleek and bland.
Disagree wholeheartedly. Differing end goals will dictate a variety of solutions and configurations, even within the performance realm... that, and stylists can manage to cram "style" onto to cars without mucking up the aero too bad in many cases. I tend to find styling unnecessary, but it's impressive when they can make it work with the aero requirements.

The car on topic here I don't really see as optimal at all. It seems a fairly conservative package, and a lot of forced styling. Whether it's "good" styling or not is subjective. I don't think it's particularly great, but that might just be my engineering gut saying, "Why are the radiators in the front?", "Why is there so much frontal area?". :wtf:

NoDivergence

No offense, but there isn't a lot of unnecessary frontal area of this car. And a lot of aero design built into it. Radiators in the front because this is a two seater car designed to actually be comfortable for the passenger, unlike the Valkyrie. Lots of front end downforce from the vented "hood" and front diffusers with front wheel exits. Fin to provide yaw stability. Double diffuser and two stage extremely large wing with secondary element at downforce optimal 40-45% angle of attack. Extremely large floor surface area, probably 50-60% larger than the Valkyrie. It's a different aero philosophy, along the lines of late era Group C vs Formula car. Doesn't mean it's not effective. I'm sure the front air intakes also help cool the hub electric motors as well as the brakes. Side mirror stalks designed to keeps flow attached to the side of the canopy. Active front splitter and fender louvre to increase downforce. These are sensible, reliable aero choices for a hypercar. Combine that with game changing powertrain and AWD in a fairly light and wide package and this car will be ~7-10 seconds a lap faster than cars like the P1 and 918 despite having similar power. No, it's not a Valkyrie, but that car has far less compromise for the road than this car. 70% of the people buying that car will struggle to even get in

Chuckjr

Beautiful car with amazing technology, but the shark fin and rectangular steering wheel are a fail. This car did not need to go that far to prove it's inspired by F1. Everything else tho, imo, is beautiful.
Watching F1 since 1986.

MadMatt

The car reminds me a bit of the H2 Speed: http://greengt.com/nos-projets/h2-speed/

Those who say its boring need more pictures I guess.

For sure it is not as extravagant as the Valkyrie, but as said, that car will probably be as easy to drive and maintain as it is to drive a Golf. Not like other hypercars.

I salute the effort, and let's not forget there is probably also a margin for an "R" version down the road, who knows! :)

Andres125sx

VARIANT | one wrote:
14 Sep 2017, 22:41
Andres125sx wrote:
13 Sep 2017, 08:24
VARIANT | one wrote:

Obviously no, but if we become logical, then there´s no need for any hypercar
I guess I don't really understand what a "hypercar" is. :?
In my dicctionacy an hypercar is an engineering showroom where everything possible was done and it´s so overwhelmingly expensive you could purchase several supercars with same cost :P

F1NAC

MadMatt wrote:
15 Sep 2017, 08:25
The car reminds me a bit of the H2 Speed: http://greengt.com/nos-projets/h2-speed/

Those who say its boring need more pictures I guess.

http://www.autoguide.com/blog/wp-conten ... tos-02.jpg

http://www.autoguide.com/blog/wp-conten ... tos-08.jpg

For sure it is not as extravagant as the Valkyrie, but as said, that car will probably be as easy to drive and maintain as it is to drive a Golf. Not like other hypercars.

I salute the effort, and let's not forget there is probably also a margin for an "R" version down the road, who knows! :)
whoever buys this car is probably going to do few km's and then rest it in garage.

SectorOne

MadMatt wrote:
15 Sep 2017, 08:25
that car will probably be as easy to drive and maintain as it is to drive a Golf. Not like other hypercars.
Wikipedia states the whole engine has to be refurbished every 50,000km.
This is a wolf in sheep´s clothing.
"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"