Silly Season 2017/2018

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
dodds_turbo

Re: Silly Season 2017/2018

djos wrote:
14 Sep 2017, 10:10
LookBackTime wrote:
14 Sep 2017, 10:05
Renault terminate contract with Red Bull from end of next season casting doubt on future of Daniel Ricciardo and Max Verstappen

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/formul ... -Bull.html

That is interesting!
Wow, RedBull switching to Honda in 2019 is looking much more likely now!
Porsche have expressed interest at F1 entry in 2021, with the new engine formula. Rumour has it that a buy-out of the Redbull Team is one option they are looking at, keeping the same team/staff/etc.

Can you see Honda happy with only supplying Red Bull with engines for 2019-2020? Or will if Red Bull reveal the Porsche deal will they find themselves without a Engine supplier in 2019-2020?

SOURCE: http://www.motorsportmagazine.com/opini ... ull-buyout

Gerhardsa

That made me chuckle.
Max and Dan are 2 of the 5 best drivers on the grid, so I doubt their futures are in doubt, no matter what happens to RB.

Besides, Daniel Ricciardo will be just fine. He will most likely drive for Ferrari or Merc in 2019 anyhow.
As for RB and Max. They will be fine as well. There is Honda to switch to, the rumored Porsche Buyout for 2021 etc. They will be just fine.

Daily FAIL again.

Jolle
Jolle

in other daily mail news....

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/ar ... Ofcom.html

(to show the level of journalism)

LookBackTime
LookBackTime

Manoah2u
Manoah2u

Nice to see my suspicions were correct.

As for the Porsche-RB claims; Porsche will go hand in hand with Williams if they actually enter F1.
Mclaren is going to either stay with Renault for the time being or they'll catch BMW.
Mclaren-Porsche is just not gonna work because of the conflicting company interests.
The TAG era was different for both brands.

If Mclaren wants a works deal, i can only see BMW or Cosworth stepping in. The latter i have zero trust, the former i don't think will enter,
and above all, last time Mclaren paired with a 'newcomer' well......didn't go so good. So only Mercedes is a possibility there but i don't think for one second
that Mercedes will ditch their own team now to get back together with Mclaren and benefit where exactly?
So the Renault partnership can only be really whats left for them but that's not a works deal.

well, talk about stupidity from Mclaren.
I've got to find my former memes about Bouillier and Brown 'having no idea what they're doing' again.
This is only getting worse for Mclaren.

By 2021 we'll have a powerfull RedBull - Honda, Mercedes, Ferrari, Renault, and we'll have Williams - Porsche, and remain with a customer Mclaren Renault.
Also there's still good chance Force India will become Aston Martin at one point, and Force India already is beating Mclaren hands down.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

ScottB
ScottB

Ouch.

So if Honda don't improve, come 2019, Red Bull will be struggling, with Max and Dan scarpering for the exit. That's a risky move!

Of course the opposite is that Honda come good and Mclaren look daft, who face three seasons with a customer engine that isn't likely to be a world beater.

Sad to see two teams that should be up the front facing potentially difficult futures. 2021 is a long way away.

skoop
skoop

Manoah2u wrote:
14 Sep 2017, 11:24

McLaren stated that they're considering to build their own engine from 2021 onwards. So maybe they decided to be a sure midfielder and get the occasional podium/win (at least in their opinion) and attack from 2021 onwards.

hemichromis
hemichromis

ScottB wrote:
14 Sep 2017, 12:18
Ouch.

So if Honda don't improve, come 2019, Red Bull will be struggling, with Max and Dan scarpering for the exit. That's a risky move!

Of course the opposite is that Honda come good and Mclaren look daft, who face three seasons with a customer engine that isn't likely to be a world beater.

Sad to see two teams that should be up the front facing potentially difficult futures. 2021 is a long way away.
Well Dan will be free from contract at the end of 2018, good time to make a choice after seeing the Honda in a Toro Rosso for a year.

LookBackTime
LookBackTime

Renault to drop Red Bull?
by Mark Hughes on 14th September 2017

http://www.motorsportmagazine.com/opini ... ullRenault

dren

LookBackTime wrote:
14 Sep 2017, 14:39

Not surprising. Renault didn't really want to supply Red Bull after their 'split'.
Honda!

basti313
basti313

dren wrote:
14 Sep 2017, 14:41
LookBackTime wrote:
14 Sep 2017, 14:39

Not surprising. Renault didn't really want to supply Red Bull after their 'split'.
I do not think this is the real background. Such management decisions are made by professionals. There is not so much love/hate/dislike like here in the forums...
To me it looks like a simple packing order decision: They will not beat RedBull with their works team. They can not just turn down the power like Merc without big noise for their customer. The ending engine deal is an easy way to get rid of RedBull and one place more in the WCC brings more money than the engine deal with RedBull. Plus bringing McL back to a competitive position will give good reputation and a strong team showing the performance of the engine if the works team fails.
There is simply no more need or good argument for a TAG engine in the Bull for Renault.
Don`t russel the hamster!

Silent Storm
Silent Storm

PlatinumZealot wrote:
11 Sep 2017, 00:41
That comprison does't really apply because Max switches in-season and was basically a boy in the sport. Daniel was obviously going to stay on top of him forst time around. Daniel had no business beating a 4XWDC in his own team... But he did... Qualli after Qualli, Race after race. It was certainly legitimate speed.
I see 2014 season between Dan and Seb as 2011 season between Jenson and Lewis, it's also important to note how drivers get overconfident or just switch off after achieving their aim, Seb had won 4 titles and was not hungry in 2014, same happened with Lewis after he won the championship in 2015 and everyone thought Rosberg has suddenly found some speed out qualifying Lewis and beating him in races, but Lewis couldn't care less as he had done his job on winning the title, although a couple more wins and poles would have been even better but that was his decision, same can be said about Vettel as he didn't see Redbull fighting for the championship so he switched off and then lost his mind and started overdriving the car which he was not comfortable in. If Seb was perfectly comfortable in that car and found the balance he liked and was not destroying his tyres in a couple laps then we could say that Daniel is better than him, you can say he could have adapted to it, but then we both have many reasons to prove each other wrong and this will go OT.
The ones with the least to say always want to be heard the most…

dodds_turbo

Manoah2u wrote:
14 Sep 2017, 11:24
Nice to see my suspicions were correct.

As for the Porsche-RB claims; Porsche will go hand in hand with Williams if they actually enter F1.
Mclaren is going to either stay with Renault for the time being or they'll catch BMW.
Mclaren-Porsche is just not gonna work because of the conflicting company interests.
The TAG era was different for both brands.

If Mclaren wants a works deal, i can only see BMW or Cosworth stepping in. The latter i have zero trust, the former i don't think will enter, and above all, last time Mclaren paired with a 'newcomer' well......didn't go so good.
So only Mercedes is a possibility there but i don't think for one second that Mercedes will ditch their own team now to get back together with Mclaren and benefit where exactly?
So the Renault partnership can only be really whats left for them but that's not a works deal.

By 2021 we'll have a powerful Red Bull - Honda, Mercedes, Ferrari, Renault, and we'll have Williams - Porsche, and remain with a customer Mclaren Renault.

Also there's still good chance Force India will become Aston Martin at one point, and Force India already is beating Mclaren hands down.
Looking ahead I'd love to see the following teams form/merge/enter F1 with the new engine formula in 2021:

Porsche Williams Martini F1: Porsche+Martini and Williams+Martini are two good existing relationships, it'd be nice to see them partner up and Porsche enter F1. Drivers could range from any current Williams young talent (not Stroll please) or any of Porsche WEC youngsters.
Mercedes haven't seen much success in their supplied engines with Williams so shouldn't be too difficult to part ways.

BMW Sauber F1 - For nostalgia, but also a cheap way for BMW to enter F1 and buy stakes in a current team. BMW could look to their drivers in DTM, WTCC and shortly WEC for potential F1 drivers

McLaren-TAG Heuer F1 - again for nostalgia-sake it'd be nice to see McLaren have some good luck for a change and some success with the Renault engine (badged as TAG Heuer). It would take some convincing/miracle for TAG to part ways from RedBull (but this is the Silly Season Thread!)

RedBull AMR F1 - assuming Aston Martin want to take their F1 involvement further and enter the new engine formula I'd love to see what the combined RBR and AMR design team can produce (aero and livery).

Mercedes Force One F1 - previously Force India F1, after several years of success Mercedes buys a stake in the team and injects some money to attract some bigger names (drivers) to team F1F1. Remaining with Mercedes engines, this should provide a decent (but not too much of a) challenge for the works Mercedes Team).

Phil

basti313 wrote:
14 Sep 2017, 15:12
They can not just turn down the power like Merc without big noise for their customer.
I don't believe this is what Mercedes is doing. Mercedes able to get more out of their engine has more to do with different fuels being used, better engine maps, intimate knowledge of the package. For example; They have all the data to know just how tightly packaged, how much cooling etc is required to run things at the limit. Customer teams, lacking that knowledge, may prefer to runs things with safer tolerances etc. I also don't think the oil additives saga would expand to the customer teams. The PU is essentially the same, but what can be done with it is a different matter that requires intimate knowledge - knowledge the customer teams don't have.

RedBull may just not have had these issues because Renault have gone less aggressive. When Renault starts upping their game - e.g. by pushing limits, then I'd expect McLaren as a mere client to suffer the same limits of making full use of the PUs potential that teams like Force-India and Williams face with Mercedes engines too.
Not for nothing, Rosberg's Championship is the only thing that lends credibility to Hamilton's recent success. Otherwise, he'd just be the guy who's had the best car. — bhall II
#Team44 supporter

skoop
skoop

According to AMuS Red Bull didn't want to commit to a longer contract with Renault, because they [Red Bull] want to decide for an engine after they had the chance to evaluate the Honda engine. Renault didn't like that very much.