2017 Singapore Grand Prix - 1st lap crash discussion

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
Jolle

Re: 2017 Singapore Grand Prix - 1st lap crash discussion

Edax wrote:
18 Sep 2017, 22:45
Jolle wrote:
18 Sep 2017, 22:02
Edax wrote:
18 Sep 2017, 20:53

I think I understand what he means. It does look like he accellerates just before hitting verstappen. But that is not actual accelleration, but Rai releasing the brakes. When drivers know they are going to crash they often take their weight of the pedals. This is to prevent injuries as the pedals are pushed into the cockpit.

Otherwise you can clearly see that the impact with Vettel had destroyed his steering rack. He was full lock and the wheels where still pointing straight. He was just a passenger.
They weren’t in the braking zone yet... the sudden speed difference you see is Verstappen backing off because there isn’t enough space for his car in front of him.
This is about the second impact.
For the second impact he had zero grip or brakes. Like said before, he was sliding on the “plank” (some low friction plastic) and no weight on the remaining front wheel.

iotar__

Edax wrote:
18 Sep 2017, 22:45
I think I understand what he means. It does look like he accellerates just before hitting verstappen. But that is not actual accelleration, but Rai releasing the brakes. When drivers know they are going to crash they often take their weight of the pedals. This is to prevent injuries as the pedals are pushed into the cockpit.

Otherwise you can clearly see that the impact with Vettel had destroyed his steering rack. He was full lock and the wheels where still pointing straight. He was just a passenger.
Jolle wrote:
18 Sep 2017, 22:02

They weren’t in the braking zone yet... the sudden speed difference you see is Verstappen backing off because there isn’t enough space for his car in front of him.
- Absurd. Raikkonen "hit" Verstappen now? :roll: Twice? Accelerates? Yes he did accelerate from start to crash - he was quicker and overtaking new Senna, going forward not zig-zaging

- Raikkonen went left and forward, then it was MV's idea of wheel to wheel, aim for the other car and hope it gets out of the way (20 examples if you want). Luckily Vettel moved sideways and was close enough to be used as en excuse.

- as for avoiding Vettel. You don't avoid a car that is 3 m away moving into a car 1 m away, you block the latter to prevent the overtake after a poor start. While losing to both cars by changing directions because you're not that good.

reaper663

GrandAxe wrote:
18 Sep 2017, 19:28
The claim that Vettel could not (or did not) see Kimi is simply ridiculous, even the most ordinary driver on a motorway can see across lanes.

Vettel should completely avoid making such dangerous moves if he truly lacks the reaction time to see a rapidly moving third car outside of him. Leave it to those with the skill to handle electric moves; the likes of Lewis, Ricciardo and Alonso.
Hmmm so less visibility in the rain and f1 cockpit than normal car and verstappen mainly in the way for most of it and tiny mirrors in an f1 car, why would you be able to see it.

sosic2121

pagatti wrote:
18 Sep 2017, 10:54
it's very clear that VES is the victim.
He has nowhere to go except banging RAI. :D :D :D :D :D :D
http://cdn-autosprint.corrieredellospor ... 0f67c0.jpg
Dear lord. This boy simply can't drive.
Just imagine how many points RB would have if Carlos was driving...

sosic2121

Obviously, Vettel was very aggressive.
But let's try to imagine what would happen if he wasn't.
He was on the outside.
If Verstappen came to T1 anywhere near Vettel, he would dive in, and pushed Vettel wide, as he did countless times before.
IMO it's FIAs fault for tolerating his driving.

Steven
Owner

I think we all know by now what happened.
I can't believe that some are still looking for arguments to blame someone else.

Let's focus on the tech bits again, shall we?