2017 Mclaren F1 Team - Honda

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
zxof

Re: 2017 Mclaren F1 Team - Honda

Sure Mclaren and Honda relationship hasbeen ugly this year to say the least but between 2015-2016 I thought McLaren were quite positive about the collaboration (publicly anyway). Other than that their past relationships with their engine suppliers (successful one with Mercedes and the not so successful ones with Ford and Peugeot) were quite amicable IMO.

loner

hemichromis wrote:
18 Sep 2017, 17:41
Well leaving the first corner in second, I think he would have had fun with Ricciardo!
With the conditions and the track he could actually race. His main gripe has been that he can take corners perfectly than get overtaken with ease in a skill less DRS overtake in the middle of the straight.
4th would have been minimum if he had not been thrown into the air like that.
thats why iam extremely excited about the spec 4 it will unleash all the pre-chamber advantage which Mercedes , Ferrari,Renault already enjoying its graces , i believe as soon as Honda introduce it, the talk about leaving the regulations intact untill 2025 will be strong, the manufacturers even may push for higher harvesting stronger mghu-H.
para bellum.

Mad
Mad

zxof wrote:
18 Sep 2017, 17:47
Sure Mclaren and Honda relationship hasbeen ugly this year to say the least but between 2015-2016 I thought McLaren were quite positive about the collaboration (publicly anyway). Other than that their past relationships with their engine suppliers (successful one with Mercedes and the not so successful ones with Ford and Peugeot) were quite amicable IMO.
The whole Mclaren team was on Honda's back as soon as Dennis left. Maybe only Dennis wanted Honda, everyone else on the board didn't or dont share his vision for the team. They have been trying to break up since the start of this season.

As Ecclestone said, Mclaren have been fighting on every single thing with Honda instead of working as a team, and he has much more insight of the situation than us. Now Honda's chief saying "Mclaren unable to adapt"...Or maybe they didnt want to. Good luck bossing Renault.

And for Alonso, he just exchanged a few lucky wins for a title winning chance.

ZakB

zxof wrote:
18 Sep 2017, 17:47
I see everyone talking about the relationship being ugly? But what did Honda and McLaren said about each other? No shocking as far as I know. Alonso yes, but not from Brown or Boullier. It just didn't work out, both have moved on. Everyone probably would have wished things would work out, but it sadly didn't. Let's hope the best Honda and McLaren, because we need more competition in F1.
hemichromis wrote:
18 Sep 2017, 18:17
loner wrote:
18 Sep 2017, 17:54
hemichromis wrote:
18 Sep 2017, 17:41
Well leaving the first corner in second, I think he would have had fun with Ricciardo!
With the conditions and the track he could actually race. His main gripe has been that he can take corners perfectly than get overtaken with ease in a skill less DRS overtake in the middle of the straight.
4th would have been minimum if he had not been thrown into the air like that.
thats why iam extremely excited about the spec 4 it will unleash all the pre-chamber advantage which Mercedes , Ferrari,Renault already enjoying its graces , i believe as soon as Honda introduce it, the talk about leaving the regulations intact untill 2025 will be strong, the manufacturers even may push for higher harvesting stronger mghu-H.
Exactly! I remember when Renault introduced their new combustion system and it came with a big step on performance, was it mid 2016?
If Honda get similar step and fix their reliability, Mclaren could start to look foolish.
If, then, when, how, future, it's all based on empty promises. McLaren knows more about Honda and Renault than everyone in here.

loner

hemichromis wrote:

Exactly! I remember when Renault introduced their new combustion system and it came with a big step on performance, was it mid 2016?
If Honda get similar step and fix their reliability, Mclaren could start to look foolish.
yep Renault introduced it in Monaco gp 2016 and surprise they were better than Ferrari :wink:
the positive about the reliability issues of Honda its not so ICE related and they are doing some tricks (quoting Wazari hinting of much greener process ) perhaps the gearbox shifting issues was that Mclaren couldn't cope with this tricks
the thing about mclaren looking foolish i can guarantee you alot of Mclaren fans still wish if they stick with Honda
but they are just fans, Zak Brown , E.B , the administration will suffer the sequences.
para bellum.

ZakB

loner wrote:
18 Sep 2017, 19:06
hemichromis wrote:

yep Renault introduced it in Monaco gp 2016 and surprise they were better than Ferrari :wink:
the positive about the reliability issues of Honda its not so ICE related and they are doing some tricks (quoting Wazari hinting of much greener process ) perhaps the gearbox shifting issues was that Mclaren couldn't cope with this tricks
the thing about mclaren looking foolish i can guarantee you alot of Mclaren fans still wish if they stick with Honda
but they are just fans, Zak Brown , E.B , the administration will suffer the sequences.
You can guarantee jack sh!t.

It's amazing to see how the Honda fans look at things.

They ask people in here why they expect that it will get better with Renault, because they suck [according to them]. But still they believe all the promises from the Honda people, while they have failed in the last three years. It makes no sense. I'm not saying they won't get it right eventually, but the expectations from some people in here are a bit too much for me.

perhaps the gearbox shifting issues was that Mclaren couldn't cope with this tricks
What are you even talking about, it's now McLaren's gearbox that isn't extracting the magical power of the Honda?

techman

completly agree. mclaren were hiding behind honda. its a shame honda did not have a benchmark chassis to use their engine. they got bashed for everthing. as we know honda tried to keep this team together and never said anything bad. anyway next season will open a lot of eyes in mclaren

ZakB

Video: McLaren and Renault - what happens now? https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/13190 ... appens-now

bauc

Guys & Gals, we all know what happened between both parties, Mclaren is way to structured and committed to timelines, targets ect where Honda likes to go on their own pace. Both companies from the start had a different approach on the very basic things and it was just a marriage that could have never lasted long. We all as fans of Mclaren, Honda or F1 in general wanted to see that old spark from the late 80's to be brought back to life, however the reality is that neither Mclaren or Honda are the same. Times have changed, people have left the sport,new people arrived, technologies evolved and simply this time around it was not a match, as simple as that.

So I ask from all of you, to stop this blame game, its really old now, its been more than 3 years now, and lets get this debate to a healthy legs again.
Формула 1 на Македонски - The first ever Macedonian Formula 1 YouTube channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJkjCv ... 6rVRgKASwg

Alonso Fan

bauc wrote:
19 Sep 2017, 12:11
Guys & Gals, we all know what happened between both parties, Mclaren is way to structured and committed to timelines, targets ect where Honda likes to go on their own pace. Both companies from the start had a different approach on the very basic things and it was just a marriage that could have never lasted long. We all as fans of Mclaren, Honda or F1 in general wanted to see that old spark from the late 80's to be brought back to life, however the reality is that neither Mclaren or Honda are the same. Times have changed, people have left the sport,new people arrived, technologies evolved and simply this time around it was not a match, as simple as that.

So I ask from all of you, to stop this blame game, its really old now, its been more than 3 years now, and lets get this debate to a healthy legs again.
Agreed
SHR Modding
Youtube
Twitter
Discord

Sound Developer for Reiza Studios
Sound Modder for Assetto Corsa

Steven
Owner

Please note that posts including the following subjects later than this one will be subject for removal:
- Speculation and assumptions on which is currently the better power unit (Honda vs Renault)
- Speculation of next year's performance
- Endless blaming of Honda or McLaren for the current split

After all, this would be all off-topic, as this thread is about McLaren Honda in the 2017 season. Nothing else.
Warnings will be handed accordingly

Mansell89

Will Honda continue with the development and give McLaren spec 4 in 2017? I appreciate there is now the secrecy aspect with regards to next year but I can't see what McLaren would gain in knowledge from spec 4 and I suspect Honda really need to use these last races as a test bed prior to next season engine.

A bizarre situation but I think both McLaren and Honda will benefit from continuing the development until they separate in Abu Dhabi.

DFX
DFX

Mansell89 wrote:
19 Sep 2017, 18:33
Will Honda continue with the development and give McLaren spec 4 in 2017? I appreciate there is now the secrecy aspect with regards to next year but I can't see what McLaren would gain in knowledge from spec 4 and I suspect Honda really need to use these last races as a test bed prior to next season engine.

A bizarre situation but I think both McLaren and Honda will benefit from continuing the development until they separate in Abu Dhabi.
Why wouldnt they? If Mclaren could learn something about the architecture 'secrets' of the PU by installing it, they would have learn about the Mercedes PU tricks in 2014. Honda will not include Mclaren in future design decisions/discussions but they both need each other now, Mclaren need those points and Honda needs the track data to be able to improve to 2018.

ZakB

DFX wrote:
19 Sep 2017, 20:40
Mansell89 wrote:

Why wouldnt they? If Mclaren could learn something about the architecture 'secrets' of the PU by installing it, they would have learn about the Mercedes PU tricks in 2014. Honda will not include Mclaren in future design decisions/discussions but they both need each other now, Mclaren need those points and Honda needs the track data to be able to improve to 2018.
Those engines are completely sealed right? Honda probably never shared their architecture secrets with McLaren, because there is always a chance someone will use that information.

makecry

ZakB wrote:
19 Sep 2017, 23:32
DFX wrote:
19 Sep 2017, 20:40
Mansell89 wrote:

Those engines are completely sealed right? Honda probably never shared their architecture secrets with McLaren, because there is always a chance someone will use that information.

Honda and McLaren were partners. I am pretty sure McLaren knows exactly what inside the Honda PU.