Mercedes AMG F1 W08 EQ Power +

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
cplchanb
cplchanb

Re: Mercedes AMG F1 W08 EQ Power +

Big Mangalhit wrote:
18 Sep 2017, 16:17
WaikeCU wrote:
18 Sep 2017, 16:09

Well I think it was on purpose. The Pirelli wet/intermediate tires aren't great for years. Drivers say it's like driving on ice in wet conditions. Knowing that the F1 cars anno 2017 are monsters and common sense telling that on normal icy, snowy roads, it is recommended to start in 2nd gear to reduce wheelspin and have more traction. I think that's the whole idea behind it. Clever thinking by Lewis.
This year cars are monsters in laptime but everything in them makes them easier to start without wheelspin. They have comparable power as last year (no rule change in there) yet are slightly heavier, more downforce (a bit irrelevant for the start) but more importantly much larger rear tyres for better grip under start.
i think in the end it all comes down to driver preference. with these engines and 8 gears i recall drivers being able to get wheelspin at 5th gear in certain cases. Ham just felt more comfortable based on his exp and it wouldnt have mattered much because 1st and 2nd are so closely spaced together anyways

designf1
designf1

toraabe
toraabe

GPR-A wrote:
18 Sep 2017, 15:59
WaikeCU wrote:
18 Sep 2017, 15:22
Mark4211 wrote:
18 Sep 2017, 15:03
Annotated wheel adjustments: Mercedes Race Start & Safety Car Procedures - Singapore 2017
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8u6LwveThc0&dummy=1
Mirror: https://vid.me/x1MKU
Interesting to see. He started in 2nd gear. Wonder if others did the same? :shock:

EDIT: Just checked Max, Kimi, Seb, Fernando, all started in 1st gear. Wondering if Bottas did the same or was it just masterful car knowledge by Lewis himself?
Wow. That is quite interesting! I can only assume that, the torque delivered on 1st gear was a little too much for those conditions and would have caused large amount of wheel spin. He did get wheel spin even at 2nd. So, he probably chose to start on 2nd, which in 1st, he probably had to moderate a lot more. OR was it just an error while starting the car?
Since I live in Norway and we have some amount of snow and slippery roads, I do prefer when the road is quite slippery to start in 2nd gear when driving manual. Also when going uphill on icy roads. let the torque do the job instead of massive wheel-spin. It's the same

F1Krof

I wonder why do they have the T-Wing mounted on a special pillar? Everyone else seems to the T-Wing mounted on the shark fin.
Wroom wroom

Maritimer
Maritimer

F1Krof wrote:
22 Sep 2017, 14:53
I wonder why do they have the T-Wing mounted on a special pillar? Everyone else seems to the T-Wing mounted on the shark fin.
The pillar ensures the force is directed exactly where they want, why they deemed it a more optimal solution over the simpler one everyone else went with is a different matter.

F1Krof

Maritimer wrote:
22 Sep 2017, 17:37
F1Krof wrote:
22 Sep 2017, 14:53
The pillar ensures the force is directed exactly where they want, why they deemed it a more optimal solution over the simpler one everyone else went with is a different matter.
I don't think it has such a significant impact that it would be beneficiary to direct the force exactly where they need it. The t-wing itself doesn't produce that much of downforce, it has more to do with the manipulation of the airflow for better rear-wing performance.

I think a more viable explanation is the fact that Mercedes runs a chimney cooling solution at the far end of the shark-fin, and by attaching the t-wing there would not be able to secure it within the mandatory flex limits without screwing the chimney. And if you analyze, only Merc run the chimney, and they're also the only team running the t-wing with its dedicated pillar.
Wroom wroom

wesley123
wesley123

F1Krof wrote:
22 Sep 2017, 23:23
I don't think it has such a significant impact that it would be beneficiary to direct the force exactly where they need it. The t-wing itself doesn't produce that much of downforce, it has more to do with the manipulation of the airflow for better rear-wing performance.

I think a more viable explanation is the fact that Mercedes runs a chimney cooling solution at the far end of the shark-fin, and by attaching the t-wing there would not be able to secure it within the mandatory flex limits without screwing the chimney. And if you analyze, only Merc run the chimney, and they're also the only team running the t-wing with its dedicated pillar.
No, the main goal of the T-wing is to create downforce.

Also, the chimney would be beneficial in terms of structural integrity as there essentially are two surfaces it connects to
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

NYGIANTS
NYGIANTS

toraabe wrote:
19 Sep 2017, 21:52
GPR-A wrote:
WaikeCU wrote:
18 Sep 2017, 15:22

Interesting to see. He started in 2nd gear. Wonder if others did the same? :shock:

EDIT: Just checked Max, Kimi, Seb, Fernando, all started in 1st gear. Wondering if Bottas did the same or was it just masterful car knowledge by Lewis himself?
Wow. That is quite interesting! I can only assume that, the torque delivered on 1st gear was a little too much for those conditions and would have caused large amount of wheel spin. He did get wheel spin even at 2nd. So, he probably chose to start on 2nd, which in 1st, he probably had to moderate a lot more. OR was it just an error while starting the car?
Since I live in Norway and we have some amount of snow and slippery roads, I do prefer when the road is quite slippery to start in 2nd gear when driving manual. Also when going uphill on icy roads. let the torque do the job instead of massive wheel-spin. It's the same
i wonder how hard it is to feather the clutch in a F1 car in 2nd gear vs 1st starting in the wet from a stop?

my S2000 can do 2nd gear starts but the lack of torque hurts it.

mmred
mmred

wesley123 wrote:
23 Sep 2017, 11:31
F1Krof wrote:
22 Sep 2017, 23:23

No, the main goal of the T-wing is to create downforce.

Also, the chimney would be beneficial in terms of structural integrity as there essentially are two surfaces it connects to
maybe flexibility for drag reduction could be a factor too here
after all they are not verified by the fia, so it s quite a big regulation hole

drunkf1fan
drunkf1fan

NYGIANTS wrote:
23 Sep 2017, 19:19
toraabe wrote:
19 Sep 2017, 21:52
GPR-A wrote:
i wonder how hard it is to feather the clutch in a F1 car in 2nd gear vs 1st starting in the wet from a stop?

my S2000 can do 2nd gear starts but the lack of torque hurts it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yJ8aCy7qIPI

Vettel started in 2nd for sure as can be seen in the video.

It seems to me that amongst those on the dirty side of the grid that is liable to have more traction in the wet everyone started in 1st, on the normal side of the grid that is more slippery in the rain you had both Vettel and Hamilton starting in second gear though I don't know about Ricciardo as I can't seem to find an onboard video of him in any compilation or stand alone video.

I don't know if they expect less wheel spin directly off the start in 2nd rather than first or if it's actually avoiding the shift between 1st and 2nd and losing time there because maybe they expect they might have moved by the gear shift and have some tires on, some off the racing line and get problems there where as obviously the very start they'll be on that line for sure.

Either way there seemed to experienced and excellent drivers on each side and they seemed to very much pick separate gears. The real kicker would be what gear is Ricciardo in. Though his poor start makes it more complicated, if he had a similar start to the others and was in 1st, then I'd say 2/3 of the front runners on that side isn't enough to mean anything, if Ricciardo was in 2nd also despite the fact he had a poor start I would say if Ferrari, Merc and RBR all told their drivers to be in 2nd gear and/or the drivers all chose it, then at least the top teams (and Mclaren... sorry) all seemed to know what is up when starting on the racing line in the wet in these cars.

Vandoorne was also on the right side so knowing what gear he was in would be interesting also.

zibby43
zibby43

F1Krof

Again I see no updates :wtf: :wtf:

Source: http://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de
Wroom wroom

Sevach
Sevach

Last edited by Sevach on 28 Sep 2017, 13:55, edited 1 time in total.

designf1
designf1

OO7
OO7

Possibly new or just photo angle?: