2017 AMG Mercedes F1 Team - Mercedes

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Schuttelberg

Re: 2017 AMG Mercedes F1 Team - Mercedes

Bill_Kar wrote:
05 Oct 2017, 23:08
Schuttelberg wrote:
05 Oct 2017, 21:01
Shakeman wrote:
05 Oct 2017, 12:41
'Mercedes halfway to signing Verstappen for 2019'

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p05j20xg

Sounds like nothing more than conjecture at the mo.
Absolute BS if you ask me. Mercedes would be barking mad to not centre their plans around LH. It's natural to back someone who's achieved so much for you and still is.

Secondly, MV won't bother with a Mercedes if the RedBull is any good in 2018.

Lastly, this seems like a well placed mischievous act of Mercedes/Ferrari to upset Red Bull. Probably Toto Wolff. I can't ever remember a man on TV who's such a liar. :D
I agree. It's kind of self-contradicting. LH would leave only if 2018 is a failure year for Mercedes, but if that condition is true, why would MV bother with occupying his seat?As much as I'm fond of Max, he has stated that he needs a "ready to go" team, he simply wants to add some statistics to his career now, and I don't think he is ready to take up the challenge of an overthrown team.
BUT it doesn't mean that they are not thinking this scenario at all. Probably conjecture, but where there's smoke, there is fire.
There are a few things here-

1) Lewis has himself said that with Sebastian signing a long term deal, he will now enter negotiations with Mercedes. I think with the emergence of Leclerc, I don't think there's any chance of a Hamilton-Ferrari relationship. I feel Lewis will this time sign a two year deal with Mercedes with an option on his side for a third.

2) There comes a time in the sport, where your decision is no longer relevant. It happened to Schumacher, Alonso and now to Hamilton and Vettel. I think the entire market will stall just to see what Verstappen wants. He is the king pin according to whom all the domino's will fall. So I think everything for 2019 will depend a lot on what MV wants. I think if the Bulls are strong, we could not see any major movement in the market till even 2020-2021. I do think Ricciardo will go in 2019 if he gets beat by Max. Of all the fabulous drivers, he's the only one I see moving teams.

3) If Ferrari/Mercedes can compete for titles in 2018 and 2019, I don't see them getting MV either. They might, but it's a long long shot. I also don't see them overthrowing a LH or a SV to bring a young MV in and upset the apple cart.
"Sebastian there's very, you're a member of a very select few.. Stewart, Lauda, Piquet, Senna, Prost, Schumacher, Fangio.. VETTEL!"

adrianjordan

Schuttelberg wrote:
05 Oct 2017, 21:01
I can't ever remember a man on TV who's such a liar. :D
You never saw Donald Trump on TV?? 😝

Since you said "man" I'll assume you have seen Theresa May...

But let's leave politics out of this shall we....
Favourite driver: Lando Norris
Favourite team: McLaren

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! 🤦🏻‍♂️

hemichromis

Verstappen has a Red bull contract for the whole of 2019. Mercedes would have to give Red bull free engines for the next 5 years to get him before 2020.

You know when you write something silly but it makes sense!

SparkyAMG

hemichromis wrote:
06 Oct 2017, 10:14
Verstappen has a Red bull contract for the whole of 2019. Mercedes would have to give Red bull free engines for the next 5 years to get him before 2020.

You know when you write something silly but it makes sense!
And Mercedes engines are exactly what Red Bull want!

ringo

Mercedes only want a driver that can go up against Hamilton and beat him. Bottas has clearly failed, so maybe they think Max is the great hope?
From what i have seen of Hamilton's career i don't really think there is a driver out there who can beat him in a straight fight on track. Max has the speed and fearlessness, but doesn't have the experience as yet, and also is yet to demonstrate how he does under pressure.
But it would be a very nice experiment. A 33 year old Lewis Hamilton versus a 22 year old Max Verstappen.
For Sure!!

holeindalip

ringo wrote:
06 Oct 2017, 18:15
Mercedes only want a driver that can go up against Hamilton and beat him. Bottas has clearly failed, so maybe they think Max is the great hope?
From what i have seen of Hamilton's career i don't really think there is a driver out there who can beat him in a straight fight on track. Max has the speed and fearlessness, but doesn't have the experience as yet, and also is yet to demonstrate how he does under pressure.
But it would be a very nice experiment. A 33 year old Lewis Hamilton versus a 22 year old Max Verstappen.
I want to see danny ric in the other Merc seat tbh, with Ferrari and rb breathing down their necks now, a secondary finishing 5-6 isn't going to cut it. And let's face it McLaren will be in the mix too before long

GPR-A duplicate2

holeindalip wrote:
06 Oct 2017, 18:36
ringo wrote:
I want to see danny ric in the other Merc seat tbh, with Ferrari and rb breathing down their necks now, a secondary finishing 5-6 isn't going to cut it. And let's face it McLaren will be in the mix too before long
With the Mercedes' rules of engagement and Leader pits first rule, I only see Ric losing badly against Lewis. Ric is thoroughly being outperformed by his younger team mate in qualifying at RB and qualifying ahead is critical to attain race leader status at Merc. Look what is going on with Bottas.

Though Max is a better option, as he has the talent to challenge Lewis in qualifying and race ahead and defend the position well, his eagerness to unnecessarily attack might get a lot of banishment from Merc, if he screws his team mate and his own race. Experience and maturity is what he needs to really challenge Lewis.

dans79

ringo wrote:
Mercedes only want a driver that can go up against Hamilton and beat him.
I have to disagree with this. Mercedes wants drivers that will win the WCC & WDC, minimize intra-team fighting, and maximize the brands exposure, they could care less who the drivers actually are.

I can't see Max teaming with Hamilton or Vettel any time soon, as the fighting would be like Hamilton & Alosno all over again. The only way I can see Max at Merc, would be if it was to replace Hamilton, and I think that's unlikely at this point in time.
197 104 103 7

hemichromis

holeindalip wrote:
ringo wrote:
Ricciardo IS free in 2019. Depending on the Red bull engine situation he could very easily be knocking at Mercedes door.
He'd be great next to Lewis, I hope he could give Lewis something to think about every now and then but maintain a good relationship.

TAG

Decent content but these discussion are probably better off in the silly season thread.
माकडाच्या हाती कोलीत

WaikeCU

Not sure where to put this, but since it's all about this team, let me put it here. This is seriously interesting to watch! Cheers!

This made me tear up :cry:

Sierra117

WaikeCU wrote:
12 Oct 2017, 00:35
Not sure where to put this, but since it's all about this team, let me put it here. This is seriously interesting to watch! Cheers!
Wow, thanks for these! Thoroughly enjoyed them. Especially the story of Niki helping out Hunt and then Hunt fixing himself. Wish these were adapted in the Rush film too.
NIKI LAUDANZ SolidarityCubolligraphy | Instagram | Facebook
#Aerogorn & #Flowramir

digitalrurouni

What a great series of interviews!!! Great find! My respect for Lauda was already stratospheric but these insights! Mad props!

SiLo

Fantastic interviews! Lauda has some great stories, and isn't afraid to tell them either. So refreshing.
Felipe Baby!

Gaz.

GPR-A wrote:
06 Oct 2017, 18:53
holeindalip wrote:
ringo wrote:
With the Mercedes' rules of engagement and Leader pits first rule, I only see Ric losing badly against Lewis. Ric is thoroughly being outperformed by his younger team mate in qualifying at RB and qualifying ahead is critical to attain race leader status at Merc. Look what is going on with Bottas.

Though Max is a better option, as he has the talent to challenge Lewis in qualifying and race ahead and defend the position well, his eagerness to unnecessarily attack might get a lot of banishment from Merc, if he screws his team mate and his own race. Experience and maturity is what he needs to really challenge Lewis.
Because of Merc's "rules" I wouldn't want to see either Max or Danny at Merc with Hamilton, or Max and Danny after Hamilton leaves/retires. Mercedes neuter the 2nd driver and suck the enjoyment out of the sport when their drivers are 1 & 2 and a win is a certainty. All three drivers are incredibly exciting to watch and we'd be robbed of the show & the thrill if any two of the three raced for Merc.

Hopefully Mercedes will change tack and get a 2nd strategist and run the team one side vs the other like Mclaren usually do, I honestly felt robbed at times in 2014-2016 when the 2nd driver could have mounted a challenge for the win but we were denied because they were already going to bag 43 points for the team.
Forza Jules