Honda Power Unit Hardware & Software

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
ArcticWolfie
ArcticWolfie

Re: Honda Power Unit

ringo wrote:
07 Oct 2017, 21:17
Maybe there is no spec 4 that is approved to even leave Sakura's gates.
Maybe spec 3.75 is really spec 37.5 .... :o
It's over 9000!

Anyway, we gotta wait and see til Austin.

OviJohn
OviJohn

Sasha wrote:
07 Oct 2017, 21:34
DFX wrote:
07 Oct 2017, 20:33
Sasha wrote:
07 Oct 2017, 20:08
No he doesnt, his salary already include all bonuses.

There is no sense in that, Spec 4 is not ready, they need the track data even if they were focusing in TR already..
Alonso has performance bonuses on his contract(points, wins and being crown world champ)
Still doesnt justify the fact that Honda had to change yet another PU in their home GP and that spec 4 is not ready.

Also, do consider that w/e development Honda has working on bench right now, will benefit immensely by actual track test. So by not deploying or delaying the infamous "Spec 4", they´re effectively "shooting themselves on the foot".

Total nonsense #-o

techman
techman

Maybe true but Honda needs to get its act together next year and have a powerful engine too. Hopefully there is a Spec 4.0 debut next race and we get to see Honda closer to other engine manufacturers.
why do thing redbull chassis is good as mclaren, even if mclaren run a renault this season , they would not even come close to redbull chassis efficiency. dont compared with the best chassis redbull, mclaren are already doing pretty good against other renaults cars. next year its an eye opener for mclaren.

makecry
makecry

Sasha wrote:
07 Oct 2017, 20:06
MrPotatoHead wrote:
07 Oct 2017, 19:54
Sasha wrote:
07 Oct 2017, 19:36
Keep Alonso out of points and Honda saves money.And now that they are divorce,Honda doesn't have too rush Spec 4.
It's all about fixing all the little fires now to make the PU now more reliable and better the ERS mapping.

Honda is 100% now working for 2018 and STR.
This is the stupidest thing I've read on this forum. And that is saying something.
WHY? Alonso makes more money with every point he scores.So he scores no points, there is more money from the F1 budget to use on the PU.
Oh cmon it's BS. How much do you think the entire PU costs for Honda to even break even? lol.

Postmoe

Sasha wrote:
MrPotatoHead wrote:
07 Oct 2017, 19:54
Sasha wrote:
Keep Alonso out of points and Honda saves money.And now that they are divorce,Honda doesn't have too rush Spec 4.
It's all about fixing all the little fires now to make the PU now more reliable and better the ERS mapping.

This is the stupidest thing I've read on this forum. And that is saying something.
WHY? Alonso makes more money with every point he scores.So he scores no points, there is more money from the F1 budget to use on the PU.
I don't understand Honda's need to go very hard on the dumbometer spectrum here. If they had spec 4, they would use it, if they were doing as you say they are, they'd be the less professional group of people in F1 right now.

restless
restless

Sasha wrote:

For god's sake I pray Honda are not THAT dumb

Soichiro
Soichiro

Sasha wrote:
Honda has stated they want to help McLaren get as much points as possible, that would mean they lied and are now doing the opposite?

I find it hard to believe that. Also the latest spec could get some running - it would be useful for 2018 development.

ArcticWolfie
ArcticWolfie

We will see in 2 weeks time if there's a spec 4 engine waiting at Austin (which will be probably for Vandoorne).

muramasa
muramasa

PlatinumZealot wrote:
06 Oct 2017, 23:33
Why is the fuel piping going into the valve cover (on the left side)?

I see the cam driven pump on the right.(or maybe it's just something else bolted to the valve cover?) but.. look.. no fuel lines to be seen otherwise? hmm..

Those spark plugs might be combination injectors.. TJI... with an internal passage built into the valve cover that goes into the injectors from there?

Or maybe i am just crazy, and the injector are side entry hidden from view..

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DLXW2BfUEAEAY3Y.jpg
that's bosch's cam drive fuel pump yes, because it looks the same as last year's.
https://c1.staticflickr.com/1/438/32483 ... 4a2f_o.png
Last year's fuel rail or fuel line was above the coils, can not see from photos somehow but in person it's just too clear to miss.
2015's engine had side injection so fuel rail was not visible. 2016 they switched to top injection.
(sources: japanese motor magazine interviewing Honda engineers sometime in winter 2016)
This year's there is no visible fuel line on the cover. In person at least you can see that fuel line goes to the back of the cover from the pump but cannot tell if it's side or top but i'd guess internal passage in the cover as well.

nzjrs

Interesting article about the Honda facilities;

http://en.hondaracingf1.com/newsroom/in ... f5101bf980

Interesting that they appear to have dyno and engine facilities in both UK and Japan.

loner

nzjrs wrote:
08 Oct 2017, 17:35
Interesting article about the Honda facilities;

http://en.hondaracingf1.com/newsroom/in ... f5101bf980

Interesting that they appear to have dyno and engine facilities in both UK and Japan.
yeah and they have an aerodynamics team as well
http://www.hondajet.com/hondajet/innovations

and 450 m$ budget, it could lead to buy Toro Rosso on the cheap and advance on their own.
think how the spec 4 will perform will draw the near future image for what Honda aim for...
para bellum.

PlatinumZealot

muramasa wrote:
08 Oct 2017, 15:42

that's bosch's cam drive fuel pump yes, because it looks the same as last year's.
Last year's fuel rail or fuel line was above the coils, can not see from photos somehow but in person it's just too clear to miss.
2015's engine had side injection so fuel rail was not visible. 2016 they switched to top injection.
(sources: japanese motor magazine interviewing Honda engineers sometime in winter 2016)
This year's there is no visible fuel line on the cover. In person at least you can see that fuel line goes to the back of the cover from the pump but cannot tell if it's side or top but i'd guess internal passage in the cover as well.
Thanks. So. You have finally arrived on F1 technical . ... Muramasa... We have been waiting for your arrival for a long time.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

MrPotatoHead

PlatinumZealot wrote:
08 Oct 2017, 19:54
muramasa wrote:
08 Oct 2017, 15:42

Thanks. So. You have finally arrived on F1 technical . ... Muramasa... We have been waiting for your arrival for a long time.
I second that. Welcome.

Joseki
Joseki

Sasha wrote:
If this is true, and I really don't think it is, I hope that Honda never score a single point in F1 for the rest of time.
It's pure and simple unprofessionalism and borderline sabotage.

ArcticWolfie
ArcticWolfie

Joseki wrote:
09 Oct 2017, 18:14
Sasha wrote:
If this is true, and I really don't think it is, I hope that Honda never score a single point in F1 for the rest of time.
It's pure and simple unprofessionalism and borderline sabotage.
If it comes, it will be 1 engine in Austin and 1 in Mexico, although I think Vandoorne will get the new PU first since his current one is now 3 races old.
We will see, I certainly hope it will come in Austin and hopefully Vandoorne ends up in the top 6 in Q3.