Optimal tyre temperatures

Here are our CFD links and discussions about aerodynamics, suspension, driver safety and tyres. Please stick to F1 on this forum.
Santozini

Optimal tyre temperatures

Hi everyone,

I have been wanting to know more about this for a while and I hope some of you could shed some light on this topic.

What are the optimal operating temperatures for today's tyres (give or take) and how do dry tyres compare to intermediate or wets temperature-wise?

Thanks!

ripper

Re: Optimal tyre temperatures

I found this:

HARD and SOFT are High working range tyres: 110°C - 145°C
MEDIUM is a Low working range tyre: 105°C - 135°C
SUPERSOFT and ULTRASOFT are Low working range tyres: 85°C - 115 °C

source: http://www.circusf1.com/2017/07/working ... mula-1.php

I remember Marc Gene saying on Italian SKY that full rain works at 30-40 °C more or less and MAYBE intermediate works at 60-70 °C, but i'm not sure about the latter

godlameroso

Re: Optimal tyre temperatures

You know what would be interesting? Making the hardest tire of the weekend, the best race tire, but with one key flaw. Making it so it's not an easy tire to get working, that it really needs to be thrashed for it to work well. Make it a high risk high reward type of tire. The soft should be easy performance, but rapid degredation, and should lead to a 2 or 3 stopper. The medium should be the safe sensible tire, good average performance, and sensible degredation, easy one stop tire with some looking after, or bold two stop.

The hard should be one stopper as well but should easily last the whole race with no regard for it's life, however, it should take a good lap to get into it's window, and have a bit more performance than the medium overall. However make that performance difficult to achieve, requiring real aggression, to the point that it can result in a mistake and going off.

The result of this would be that the two softest compounds would work as they do now, with the added effect that the currently useless hard compound would gain strategic value.

Frankly this effect can be achieved by going one step softer next year and tweaking a compound or two. Maybe this is what Pirelli is going for, trying to re-create Bahrain the last few years to the rest of the calendar.
Saishū kōnā