[MVRC] Mantium Virtual Racecar Challenge 2017

Post here information about your own engineering projects, including but not limited to building your own car or designing a virtual car through CAD.
Alonso Fan

Re: [MVRC] Mantium Virtual Racecar Challenge 2017

machin wrote:
03 Oct 2017, 22:50
Ah cool... I was wondering whether it might be worth writing a very short tutorial for newcomers...

I really like Andre's (LVDH) presentation... I think the CAESES interface looks neat... I really should get around to having a play with it...
Yes why not? This is a good idea

I would make it as accessible as possible
SHR Modding
Youtube
Twitter
Discord

Sound Developer for Reiza Studios
Sound Modder for Assetto Corsa

machin

Well I started off by updating the Introduction to Racecar Aerodynamics guide that I wrote a couple of years back... mainly this is just removing the old KVRC logos and replacing them with Mantium Challenge ones!

It can be download here:-

INTRODUCTION TO RACECAR AERODYNAMICS

Andre, perhaps you could link on the Mantium Challenge website?
COMPETITION CAR ENGINEERING -Home of VIRTUAL STOPWATCH

LVDH

machin wrote:
04 Oct 2017, 22:00
Well I started off by updating the Introduction to Racecar Aerodynamics guide that I wrote a couple of years back... mainly this is just removing the old KVRC logos and replacing them with Mantium Challenge ones!

It can be download here:-

INTRODUCTION TO RACECAR AERODYNAMICS

Andre, perhaps you could link on the Mantium Challenge website?
It is now up on the Rules & Files section.

I have also written an article about how to fix holes in the car geometry. If Chris gets the new version of the rules out in time, soon there will be immediate penalties for non-closed cars. So if you are having trouble, you might want to have a look to find out how to fix these issues:
http://mantiumchallenge.com/locating-ho ... mulations/

etsmc

LVDH wrote:
05 Oct 2017, 10:32
I have also written an article about how to fix holes in the car geometry. If Chris gets the new version of the rules out in time, soon there will be immediate penalties for non-closed cars. So if you are having trouble, you might want to have a look to find out how to fix these issues:
http://mantiumchallenge.com/locating-ho ... mulations/
Well, I must be doing something wrong here.
I have followed the instructions but all I am getting is my car (half of it) in just a dark shade of blue. I don't get the bit red could you are getting.
If i apply the minimum threshold i just start to loose parts of the car.

LVDH

Well maybe the tutorial is not good enough. I did not point out to color the pressure gradient threshold in red for better visibility. Where do you exactly fail? Are you sure to have the case correctly loaded. If it is still decomposed you have to select so in Paraview. And when doing the calculations you have to keep the case selected and not the car.

LVDH

OK guys,
other question:

I have implemented an automatic detection of the HX rotation. The algorithm is pretty slow though. I could spend time tuning the code and so on. Much simpler would be to only allow rotation around the y-axis. What do you think about this?

CAEdevice

LVDH wrote:
06 Oct 2017, 14:02
OK guys,
other question:

I have implemented an automatic detection of the HX rotation. The algorithm is pretty slow though. I could spend time tuning the code and so on. Much simpler would be to only allow rotation around the y-axis. What do you think about this?
Hi LDVH, y-axis has the same direction of the wheel axis? I agree, it should be the most useful rotation.

What about a rotation about y-axis OR z-axis (not any direction rotation)?

rjsa

What do you mean by slow? A one time solution or once a frame?

If it's the later I guess Y would be fine.

We'll get some extra wiggle room on dimensions too, right?

LVDH

Well it is a log(N)*N^3 problem. As soon as the stl for the HX has too many nodes, it gets very slow. Yesterday I was able to tune the code so much that a 1MB stl took 8 seconds, down from over a minute. I think it is still way too slow. If I create a convex hull around the HX it might be more or less independent from the stl size as the hull gets calculated once and then the rotation part can be done much faster,

schwepes

Noob question... Can sameone explain me two points from the floor rules K3.3?
● Any bodywork visible from below, which lies directly above/below floor guide 2,
excluding the parts inside the rear wing volume, must be no more than 270mm
above the reference plane.
and
● Any bodywork visible from below, which lies directly above/below floor guide 3,
must be no more than 125mm above the reference plane
Does it apply to some winglets which would be visible through holes/cutouts in the floor in these areas? Maybe you have some example of illegal solution for better understanding?

Thanks.

cdsavage

schwepes wrote:
07 Oct 2017, 16:06
Noob question... Can sameone explain me two points from the floor rules K3.3?
● Any bodywork visible from below, which lies directly above/below floor guide 2,
excluding the parts inside the rear wing volume, must be no more than 270mm
above the reference plane.
and
● Any bodywork visible from below, which lies directly above/below floor guide 3,
must be no more than 125mm above the reference plane
Does it apply to some winglets which would be visible through holes/cutouts in the floor in these areas? Maybe you have some example of illegal solution for better understanding?

Thanks.
The important thing to pay attention to with K3.3 is the final point - if you were to draw lines along the surfaces visible from below in those regions, in directions parallel to the X or Y axes, then there shouldn't be any gaps in those lines (looking at each half of the car separately, and ignoring the gap that forms between the two guides in the wheel well region). This rule means that almost any cutout in the floor in those areas is not legal in the first place. But yes, if there was a cutout which was still legal somehow, then those height rules apply to any bodywork visible from below, except for the parts inside the rear wing volume. If you have a particular design in mind, then we could continue the discussion through PMs.

LVDH

Hi guys,
it was a bit harder than anticipated but there is a new rulebook and a new version of MantiumFlow MVRC Edition. The main new point is the rotation of the radiators. Have a good look and let me know if everything works. There are more new things than it looks like on the surface. One new thing is that the Windows version is now so big that I have to deliver it through Dropbox, I hope this works. From what I have seen it now takes longer for the software to start. Please let me know if that is only on my laptop like this.
Have fun the redesigning your cars.

Alonso Fan

Great news and nice to see this mvrc and the software maturing.

Change of topic: Toro Rosso came to my uni today and did a presentation about internships etc and brought a few car parts etc along for everyone to have a look (and free red bull...!) An interesting thing they mentioned (can't remember if it was a response to a question or not) is that they get a cl/cd ratio of about 3 or 4 on their wings and around the region of 10 on their diffuser :o

So you guys leading the championship are doing a fine job indeed!
SHR Modding
Youtube
Twitter
Discord

Sound Developer for Reiza Studios
Sound Modder for Assetto Corsa

CAEdevice

Thank you LDVH.

This is the release is going to be used for the next race?

rjsa

Trouble here:
NEVER MIND