Renault Power Unit Hardware & Software

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
PlatinumZealot

Re: Renault V6 Power Unit

mclaren111 wrote:
18 Oct 2017, 13:40
wuzak wrote:
18 Oct 2017, 12:46
mclaren111 wrote:
18 Oct 2017, 12:35

What is PS ?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Horsepowe ... s.2C_ch.29
Not an Engineer. Please explain in layman terms. Thx
PS is horsepower in German. The unit of measure is only slightly bigger than horsepower but you may approximate 1 horsepower to be 1 PS if you like.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Tommy Cookers

the PS 'unit of measure' is smaller than the horsepower

1 PS is c. 736 W
1 hp is c. 746 W

1.01387 PS is 1 hp
we might imagine a 1000 hp Cosworth engine has the same power as a 1013.87 PS Mercedes engine
though we might imagine that Mercedes etc tell us they have eg 850 hp when they mean 850 PS
http://www.statman.info/conversions/power.html

Craigy

Tommy Cookers wrote:
18 Oct 2017, 23:20
the PS 'unit of measure' is smaller than the horsepower

1 PS is c. 736 W
1 hp is c. 746 W

1.01387 PS is 1 hp
we might imagine a 1000 hp Cosworth engine has the same power as a 1013.87 PS Mercedes engine
though we might imagine that Mercedes etc tell us they have eg 850 hp when they mean 850 PS
http://www.statman.info/conversions/power.html
Probably also worth remembering that in F1 terms, Cosworth and Mercedes-Benz High Performance Powertrain are both based in England (Northamptonshire) around in fact, are only around 8 miles from each other. A 20 minute car ride. It's not by accident - Mario Illien was a Cosworth employee, and when he wanted to set up his own company, Ilmor, he chose a base somewhere close enough to permit Cosworth staff to move companies without needing to move house. It's also close enough to the Cosworth suppliers to make it basically the same market in terms of logistics.

Map -> https://goo.gl/maps/A9w1dbPHz5R2

Given where they are, it's consequently pretty unlikely that one would be reporting BHP, and one PS based on percieved "German-ness" or "Britishness".

I'd be pretty surprised if either didn't work internally in SI units like kW for development work anyway, these days.

Tommy Cookers

before British dominance over mainland European racers came we Brits (I guess) didn't correct our power measurements to sea level dry air conditions
being a low country with lowish temperatures, so lowish and consistent absolute humidity, measured hp was only c. 2.5% lower than a 'corrected' value
the correction is anyway bogus as engines never run on dry air

adding their bogus correction % to the 1.4% difference between British hp and European may explain why ......
Ferrari etc later talked of 'Coventry horsepower' ie as the reason those silly old Nortons, Jaguars, Climaxes etc beat Italian machines claiming more power

NL_Fer

Verstappen is taking a new ICE this weekend. Would be the latest spec, what power are we talking about?

baybars

NL_Fer wrote:
20 Oct 2017, 00:12
Verstappen is taking a new ICE this weekend. Would be the latest spec, what power are we talking about?
I found a news on Amus about it
As I understand upgrade brings more power and improved reliability.

Abiteboul said that Sportchef Cyril Abiteboul confirms: "The modifications bring us more power in qualification and in the race . And they improve reliability. It is a nice step, which already includes solutions for our next year's engine. "In addition, new BP / Castrol petrol comes. These are a few more PS. The progress with regard to roundness is estimated to be one to one and one-half tenths.

https://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/for ... 67739.html

Jejking

baybars wrote:
20 Oct 2017, 08:43
NL_Fer wrote:

Abiteboul said that Sportchef Cyril Abiteboul confirms: "The modifications bring us more power in qualification and in the race . And they improve reliability. It is a nice step, which already includes solutions for our next year's engine. "In addition, new BP / Castrol petrol comes. These are a few more PS. The progress with regard to roundness is estimated to be one to one and one-half tenths.

What does the term 'roundness' mean? Is it the overall laptime which would come down by 0.1-0.15s / lap?

baybars

Jejking wrote:
20 Oct 2017, 11:54
baybars wrote:
NL_Fer wrote:

What does the term 'roundness' mean? Is it the overall laptime which would come down by 0.1-0.15s / lap?
I think Lap time will be improve between 0.1 and 0.15

baybars

baybars wrote:
20 Oct 2017, 16:11
Jejking wrote:
baybars wrote:

I think Lap time will be improve between 0.1 and 0.15 sec per lap

Craigy

Jejking wrote:
It's a mistranslation. He's talking about lapping. In French, lap is "tour".
It's the same root as the word "turn" in English. It means to "go round".
That's why "lapping" has been incorrectly robo-translated into "roundness".

Jejking

Craigy wrote:
24 Oct 2017, 14:39
Jejking wrote:
It's a mistranslation. He's talking about lapping. In French, lap is "tour".
It's the same root as the word "turn" in English. It means to "go round".
That's why "lapping" has been incorrectly robo-translated into "roundness".
Ah thank you, I didn't take the translation itself into account there!

FW17

Is there 1 sec between the old and new Renault engines?

Ricardo is a long way behind.

JonoNic

FW17 wrote:Is there 1 sec between the old and new Renault engines?

Ricardo is a long way behind.
Horner mentioned yellow flags and traffic on Sky.

Sent from my SM-A700F using Tapatalk

Always find the gap then use it.

FW17

Let us see what it is at end of Q3

There looks to be a significant improvement, definitely closer to Ferrari now.

lio007

WOW...that was a pretty expensive weekend in terms of broken PU-parts.

Any guesses why Renault had so many damages? Even Honda has been better.