2017 Williams Martini Racing Team - Mercedes

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
LookBackTime

Re: 2017 Williams Martini Racing Team - Mercedes

US GRAND PRIX PRACTICE
20 OCT 2017

FP1
Weather: Overcast
Air & Track Temperatures: 20-21°C / 22-24°C
F. Massa, FW40-04, Mercedes-AMG F1 M08 EQ Power+, 1:37.570 (6th)
L. Stroll, FW40-03, Mercedes-AMG F1 M08 EQ Power+, 1:38.534 (12th)
Quickest time: L.Hamilton 1:36.355

FP2
Weather: Warm and dry
Air & Track Temperatures: 25-28°C / 30-35°C
F. Massa, FW40-04, Mercedes-AMG F1 M08 EQ Power+, 1:36.460 (8th)
L. Stroll, FW40-03, Mercedes-AMG F1 M08 EQ Power+, 1:37.788 (16th)
Quickest time: L. Hamilton 1:34.668

Paddy Lowe, Chief Technical Officer: We had a slightly damp start but we managed to get some good runs, comparing the baseline intermediate tyre with a new intermediate test tyre that Pirelli have brought to this event. We also managed a few of our own tests in the midst of that. In the rest of FP1, we completed a dry tyre run on each car and got a good baseline. FP2 was run to a more normal plan, comparing the soft and ultrasoft on Felipe’s car and the supersoft and ultrasoft on Lance’s car. Felipe’s pace looked reasonably good, unfortunately Lance had a loose headrest on his low fuel lap with the ultrasoft so his ultimate time on the sheet was compromised. It’s a very tight midfield, as always, so we need to work hard overnight to find every little bit of margin to get ourselves good grid positions tomorrow.

Felipe Massa: It was a good Friday and it’s nice to be in the top 10. I feel the car is competitive so I’m happy. I was happy with the balance, and even in the wet conditions this morning the car felt okay. I really hope tomorrow we have a car as competitive as the one we had today so we can hopefully fight at the front and score some points.

Lance Stroll: It was okay and the usual Friday, getting into it and figuring everything out for tomorrow. We had a couple of issues here and there with little things like the headrest coming loose on my best lap so I couldn't complete it, but all in all it was okay. Because of the problems in Japan, and again here with the headrest, I have never been able to feel the car with the new wing and the new configuration. That is a bit frustrating so we just have to start putting things together to finish the runs to show where we are. The car feels competitive so it is just about putting it all together tomorrow.

LookBackTime

Williams TV: US GP with Karun and Rob

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=odcZhiiI9II

LookBackTime

US GRAND PRIX QUALIFYING
21 OCT 2017
Circuit of The Americas, US
5.513 km / 3.425 miles

Weather: Warm and dry
Temperature: Air: 31-32°C Track: 39-41°C

Q1
F. Massa 1:35.603 (6th)
L. Stroll 1:36.868 (17th)

Q2
F. Massa 1:35.155 (11th)

Qualifying Notes
- Felipe Massa qualified 11th and Lance Stroll 17th for the United States Grand Prix
- Lance was hampered by an energy deployment issue and was unable to get out of Q1, meanwhile Felipe finished the first session in sixth
- In Q2, Felipe’s time put him inside the top 10 before late improvements from others knocked him down to 11th
- Both drivers qualified on the ultrasoft Pirelli tyre
- Felipe and Lance will both benefit from other drivers serving grid penalties however Lance has also been given a three-place grid penalty for impeding Grosjean during Q1

Paddy Lowe, Chief Technical Officer: It’s disappointing not to get either car into Q3 as we felt we had the potential to do so. Lance had a problem in Q1 on his second run with the lap trigger which caused some problems with energy deployment. He lost eight tenths down the back straight, which clearly would have been more than enough to put him into Q2, but, unfortunately, he was knocked out in P17. In Felipe’s case, it was a very close fought battle at the end of Q2 for the final spots in the top 10. He missed out by about half a tenth, so he finished in 11th place. We will benefit from a number of grid penalties which puts us within touch of the points tomorrow, so we look forward to seeing what we can do in the race.

Felipe Massa: My lap was clean. There was little difference between three teams today but, unfortunately, we were the car behind. We need to analyse everything. My lap was clear, no mistakes, but, unfortunately, we couldn’t get to Q3. I was happy and confident with the car the whole weekend, the only thing I expected was to improve more.

Lance Stroll: It was a bad day. It was a problem with the power unit not deploying its energy correctly. It cost me eight tenths of a second on the back straight and it cost me my last lap. It is just one of those things, not a human error, just an unlucky situation. With these very complicated power units this sort of thing can happen, as the energy went into a saving mode and not a qualifying mode. I am obviously very disappointed, but now we can see what we can do tomorrow as there was more pace in the car. It’s another race, we are starting near the back and we will go forward.

LookBackTime

Williams "exploring" whether Kubica can return to F1

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/will ... f1-969007/

FrukostScones

STR doesnt belong into F1.
Finishing races is important, but racing is more important.

LookBackTime

UNITED STATES GRAND PRIX
22 OCT 2017

Circuit of The Americas, US
5.513 km, 3.425 miles

Race Notes:

- Felipe Massa finished ninth with Lance Stroll 11th in the United States Grand Prix
- Felipe and Lance both started on the supersoft tyre
- On lap one, Felipe gained a place to go P9 with Lance initially dropping to P17 before climbing back up to P15
- Felipe ran as high as sixth before making his one-stop onto the ultrasoft tyre on lap 29, re-joining in P12 before overtaking both Haas cars to claim P10
- In the final stages he made a move on Kyvat to take P9
- Lance made his first pitstop to switch to the soft tyres on lap 10
- Lance made his second and final stop on lap 36 to switch to the ultrasoft tyre, re-joining in P15
- Felipe moves up to 10th in the Drivers’ Championship, ahead of Lance in 12th. The team remains fifth in the Constructors’ Championship with 68 points

Paddy Lowe, Chief Technical Officer: I think it was a great race for everyone concerned and especially for the fans. It’s a fantastic event that’s been put on today which included some new initiatives. Ultimately, we’re happy to get ninth and 11th but it’s a bit frustrating as I know we could have done better. We ran a contrary strategy to most of the other runners with both cars fitting supersoft tyres to start, with a plan to move on to the ultrasoft tyres for the final stint. In Felipe’s case, that worked okay and he drove to plan, making up places in the first stint on the faster tyre. Ultimately, we would have made more places but the DRS of Kvyat and Perez in combination caused too much of a delay. On Lance’s side, he had two tough first stints but when we converted to a two-stop, he made up good places at the end to finish a very worthy 11th.

Felipe Massa: It was definitely a good result. It was a good race, and points were always what we were looking to achieve. We lost a few points to Renault, but it was a positive race and I’m happy with the result. Unfortunately, the blue flag took away my opportunity to overtake another car at the end and take eighth instead of ninth, but I’m happy with the race and the job I did. That’s the most important thing.

Lance Stroll: It was okay and a decent race from where we were starting on the grid in 15th, but it is always disappointing to finish 11th with no points. There were a lot of tyre problems and I had to stop twice as I had a lot of degradation, which was a lot more than expected and not ideal. We did gain some positions, unfortunately not enough to get us into the points, but passing the two cars of Grosjean and Vandoorne at the end of the race was quite positive. Now I am looking forward and hoping for a trouble-free weekend as this one proved tricky after what happened in qualifying.

Manoah2u

let Kubica, Massa, Wehrlein, DiResta all play 'chicken' against eachother. The one that pulls out first loses the chance on a seat. if they smash into eachother that's 2 people out.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

LookBackTime

Some people are speculating that it will be a Abu Dhabi test - post race - with Williams FW40.

bill shoe

Why is Williams not resigning Massa? Is Massa asking more money than Williams want to pay, or are there concerns about Massa's pace? Or something else?

LookBackTime

From user @MarcoCardoso
He found the info on a Polish web site - google translate was used.

"Robert Kubica goes on trial at Formula One.
His first tests were in Renault and now Williams. He first drove on to the British race track Silverstone and then to the Hungarian Hungaroring. Although the tests were a mystery, we learned that the Pole made good lap times that would allow him to compete in F1 races.
The opinion that Kubica is able to compete without any restriction is of Igor Rossello - a doctor who operated a Pole after an accident in 2011. In an interview with radio three, he stated that there are no contraindications to return to F1. - The condition we brought Kubica's hand to meet the requirements of driving at this level.
The greatest limitation is the elbow rotation.
This is a very complicated part of the body, but Robert has learned to replace some other movements. I am sure that in these extremely modern machines it can run as if there were no limits, "Rossell said. The doctor hopes to see Robert Kubica soon in the Formula 1 car."