2008 Jerez Test 22-25 July

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.

Post Sat Jul 26, 2008 9:13 am

Indeed if we looked at the test times on 1 day you'd expect Torro Rosso to do a front row lock out next race ;) :p

All the teams are trying different things, the times are very subjective.
- Axle
axle

Post Sat Jul 26, 2008 9:36 am

Is that an extra winglet on the engine cover for ferrari? Quite low down, on the last photo of massa.
bazanaius

Post Sat Jul 26, 2008 2:27 pm

On the last day of testing, I saw some pics of BMW's F1.08 which has a black section by the chimneys all the way up the T-wings. Whats up wth that? Lack of paint? What's its purpose?
shotzski

Post Sat Jul 26, 2008 2:30 pm

I just found out that Kovalainen's fastest lap time on day 4 was with 2008 wings + 2009 slicks. Yet, he was only 4 tenths faster than Bourdais who was using 2009 slicks and 2009 aero. Wow.
'10-'11 Head of Powertrain - Glasgow University Formula Student
Scotracer

Post Sat Jul 26, 2008 3:07 pm

The cut in downforce means that the tyres coefficient of friction decreases less with speed, thus the total grip is near the one with the full 08 levels+slicks.

That also explains why slicks+09 levels provide around as much grip in high speed sections as the actual cars.
Ogami musashi

Post Sat Jul 26, 2008 3:53 pm

Ogami musashi wrote:The cut in downforce means that the tyres coefficient of friction decreases less with speed, thus the total grip is near the one with the full 08 levels+slicks.

That also explains why slicks+09 levels provide around as much grip in high speed sections as the actual cars.

I realised this but I didn't think it was to that degree. Quite extraordinary. By the end of next year F1 cars will be rocket-ships.
Scotracer

Post Sat Jul 26, 2008 6:01 pm

Scotracer wrote:
Ogami musashi wrote:The cut in downforce means that the tyres coefficient of friction decreases less with speed, thus the total grip is near the one with the full 08 levels+slicks.

I realised this but I didn't think it was to that degree. Quite extraordinary. By the end of next year F1 cars will be rocket-ships.

We can always hope... :D
Conceptual

Post Mon Jul 28, 2008 12:48 pm

there will be another track added in 2009.... i think it would be somewhere on the moon...
chasefreak

Post Mon Jul 28, 2008 1:27 pm

With the low gravity, that's bound to be a high-downforce track :). Also, moondust is notoriously sharp, so I'm guessing hardest tyre-compounds and plenty of stops :p.
Saribro

Post Mon Jul 28, 2008 1:29 pm

Saribro wrote:With the low gravity, that's bound to be a high-downforce track :). Also, moondust is notoriously sharp, so I'm guessing hardest tyre-compounds and plenty of stops :p.

How will teams get around the problem of no atmosphere in terms of aerodynamic setup? :D
Scotracer

Post Mon Jul 28, 2008 1:42 pm

just for that one race they will allow moveable aero parts
chasefreak

Previous

Return to General chat