2008 Jerez/Algarve Winter Testing (8th Dec - 17th Dec)

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
mx_tifoso

Re: 2008 Jerez Winter Testing Thread (8th Dec - 11th Dec)

November - Barcelona

December - Jerez

I can't tell any differences between the two wings, but the Jerez image wasn't taken at the best angle so the shot isn't that good. And the dark blue doesn't help much either.
WhiteBlue wrote:I don't think for a moment...
Yeah we know :mrgreen: .
Forum guide: read before posting

"You do it, then it's done." - Kimi Räikkönen

Por las buenas soy amigo, por las malas soy campeón.

Metar

Here's a Jerez picture, and it seems you're right - I don't see the differences I thought I saw earlier.

axle

There was another version too...

It's noticable that the inside edge of the McLaren and Williams wings are very similar but the Macca has 2 elements (ignoring the main plane) and the Williams just 1.
- Axle

i70q7m7ghw

Is it possible the wide noses are being used to claw back some of the downforce lost from the neutral central section of the wing?

modbaraban

Now that McLaren definitely looks like a boiled cancer with red pincers. #-o Although it's the most interesting and hi-tech looking 2009-spec shape yet.

timbo

Diesel wrote:Is it possible the wide noses are being used to claw back some of the downforce lost from the neutral central section of the wing?
Maybe and they surely get some DF from that arrangement, but why BMW has wide nose too? Someone hinted here that may be for weight distribution.

Michiba

sorry if this has been answered during the previous test, but was just wondering if those extensions below the nose of the BMW are legal for 2009? And what would their purpose be?

scarbs

Michiba wrote:sorry if this has been answered during the previous test, but was just wondering if those extensions below the nose of the BMW are legal for 2009? And what would their purpose be?
They are turning vanes, they will be legal as they are placed higher than the upper mounting for the front wing support. They are one of a few loopholes in the bargeboard ban zones..

flynfrog

to bad the rear wing wasn't wider then they wouldn't look so bad

Thanks for the insight Scarbs

Michiba

again, apologies if this has been discussed before, but how much scope is there for development of the suspension arms? Are we likely to see 'w' shaped arms to help flow around and behind the front wheels?

scarbs

Michiba wrote:again, apologies if this has been discussed before, but how much scope is there for development of the suspension arms? Are we likely to see 'w' shaped arms to help flow around and behind the front wheels?
They are still bound by the symmetrical 3.5:1 cross section ratio and 5-degrees nose\down attitude.

Despite this the wishbones will be one of the few area left to develop, expect teams to switch the arms through out the season.

mike

i reckon the 09 spec looks perfectly fine at this angle
http://f1.gpupdate.net/en/photolarge.ph ... catID=3667
i would expect the front wing to be more sculptured and the rear end-plate to be reduced

Conceptual

scarbs wrote:
Michiba wrote:again, apologies if this has been discussed before, but how much scope is there for development of the suspension arms? Are we likely to see 'w' shaped arms to help flow around and behind the front wheels?
They are still bound by the symmetrical 3.5:1 cross section ratio and 5-degrees nose\down attitude.

Despite this the wishbones will be one of the few area left to develop, expect teams to switch the arms through out the season.
And they say F1 is not a spec series??? What kind of actual development is possible when these ratios are enforced?

Wouldn't that mean that WIlliams' wishbones could fit onto the Red Bull?

My interest in this sport is just about flushed down the toilet with all of Max and Bernie's crap.

Scotracer

Conceptual wrote:
scarbs wrote:

And they say F1 is not a spec series??? What kind of actual development is possible when these ratios are enforced?

Wouldn't that mean that WIlliams' wishbones could fit onto the Red Bull?

My interest in this sport is just about flushed down the toilet with all of Max and Bernie's crap.
The gains that could be had from making the wishbones asymmetrical aerofoils are so minuscule that they do not warrant the costs in development therefore they were mandated. We really should get one thing straight: F1 is no where near the pinnacle of development or technology and just have to accept it.
Powertrain Cooling Engineer

yzfr7

Scotracer wrote:F1 is no where near the pinnacle of development or technology
agree. Even though it still is the pinnacle of car racing. But I am already putting MotoGP ahead, their engine development over the last years is amazing. Just check the new R1 engine derived from the M1.
Scotracer wrote:and just have to accept it.
disagree.
pax