BMW Sauber F1.09

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter does not belong here.

Post Tue Jan 20, 2009 11:32 am

Is it just me, or does that front-wing on the official pic's look computer-animated somehow?
"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"
xpensive

Post Tue Jan 20, 2009 12:08 pm

Was the windtunnel malfunctioning? This can't do anything but generate drag can it? What are those? The paint job makes the nose look deceptively smaller than it really is. :wtf:

Astro1

Post Tue Jan 20, 2009 12:27 pm

We@sel wrote:Image

This is interesting...

It looks like they moved the KERS intake to that spot right above those 'bargeboards' or whatever they are (where the red arrow is pointing). And look at the mirror supports. They might be used as fins to direct the air into those tiny inlets.

Compare it to the older version
modbaraban

Post Tue Jan 20, 2009 1:26 pm

Anyone got high res pics?
"Unbelievable how silly this Formula 1 is these days, with this stupid overtakes."
—Sebastian Vettel, 2012 US GP
Diesel

Post Tue Jan 20, 2009 2:03 pm

The final video for the F1.09

Also a comparison shot between the F1.08 and the F1.09
It does appear to have a similar box thing to the R29 on the front wing.
"It could be done manually. It would take quite a while, but it could be done. There is however a much more efficient and accurate way of getting the data. Men with lasers." Wing Commander Andy Green
roost89

Post Tue Jan 20, 2009 2:54 pm

Seeing as BMW threw away most of 2008 for the 09 car it dont not look that special. Very basic and not much different to the 08 model.
enkidu

Post Tue Jan 20, 2009 3:18 pm

Well, it almost seems like the car is underdeveloped. But they already had reasonable track time and their KERS is probably is in better shape than others', so I guess their chances are good.
timbo

Post Tue Jan 20, 2009 3:23 pm

timbo wrote:Well, it almost seems like the car is underdeveloped. But they already had reasonable track time and their KERS is probably is in better shape than others', so I guess their chances are good.

Actually, this surprised me a little bit: http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/72893

Is there a team on the grid which is sure to have KERS ready in time for the first race?
FLC

Post Tue Jan 20, 2009 3:38 pm

FLC wrote:
timbo wrote:Well, it almost seems like the car is underdeveloped. But they already had reasonable track time and their KERS is probably is in better shape than others', so I guess their chances are good.

Actually, this surprised me a little bit: http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/72893

Is there a team on the grid which is sure to have KERS ready in time for the first race?

Mclaren as they used it in 1998! Also Honda had theirs ready... I think this is good news people are having trouble with this. Engine failure will probably be so rare but KERS failures could lose you the race.
enkidu

Post Tue Jan 20, 2009 4:47 pm

Good, clean looking car.
Grip is a four letter word.

2 is the new #1.
Jersey Tom

Post Tue Jan 20, 2009 4:52 pm

I don't think the front wing is final.
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)
WhiteBlue

Post Tue Jan 20, 2009 5:22 pm

DarkSnape

Post Tue Jan 20, 2009 5:36 pm

That car has many flat forward facing flaps, I wonder if they are meant to somehow work similar to garney flaps... but they seem too big for that...

As for the car, the shape is not all, probably there is un-imaginable amount of work that has gone into the car's design in terms of component design and layout and wheelbase.

As for the outer-areo look - don't most cars look like a set back due to the new regs?
NDR008

Post Tue Jan 20, 2009 6:02 pm

Many strange aero bits here and there :? I´m confident that the guys at BMW know what they´re doing but I´ll definitely need some time to get used to it. I mean compared to the old car, the new one is, well, strange #-o
I have that Twitter -thingie now!
tomislavp4

PreviousNext

Return to F1 Car Hardware & Development