Rule Interpretation - Double deck diffusers

Here are our CFD links and discussions about aerodynamics, suspension, driver safety and tyres. Please stick to F1 on this forum.
ISLAMATRON

Re: 2009 Difusser Rule Interpretation

Ruudje wrote:btw: mclaren's new:

Looks like a similar solution to Brawns but with the central section blocked off just in case it is deemed illegal.

wesley123
wesley123

This part will probably be the most interesting part of a f1 car in 2009, lots of possibilities around here.

I still odnt understand why no1 has adopted the RBr idea by pulling the end plate all the way down, the diffuser might be smaller for them, but that will be gained back by the deep endplates.
I think red bulls idea on this is even more efficient than the ones of the other teams, look at what the lmp's did in around 2002, they didnt made the diffuser at maximum width, but instead they left some space, why? Because by this the diffuser will generate more downforce as the rear hweels doesnt interupt the airflow that much anymore, similair is done by red bull, they probably got a cleaner airflow out of the diffuser and around it, because by the deep endplates the dirty air generated by the rear wheels wont hit the diffuser anymore, thus increasing the efficiency.
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

ISLAMATRON

Wesley it seems like an elegant solution(longer endplates) but Redbull does not seem to be 1 of the leading teams and no other teams has been quick to jump on that solution so maybe there is something we are not factoring into the equation.

shir0

Ruudje wrote:I'm not sure I understand what you mean. Could you try to explain?

When Looking at this picture:
how is different from:

please enlighten me! :)
The green line on top of the Brawn diffuser is not really part of the diffuser. It's a widened and sculpted base of the rear crash structure. The Brawn diffuser surface edge is made up by (L-R, based on the image): the left most light blue edge, the top-left yellow line, the curvy-middle red line, the top-right yellow line, and; the right most light blue line. So essentially, this is the single continuous line that is created when the diffuser surface is intersected by a lateral, perpendicular plane (perpendicular to the reference plane).

The Williams' diffuser, however, is a different matter. if you remove the 8 vertical strakes from the diffuser and once a perpendicular plane intersects what remains, you are left with an irregular shape instead of a continuous line. The same is true of the Toyota's diffuser.
"Fortunately I've got a bag with dry ice in [my suit], which I put next to my balls, so at least they stay nice and cool!"- Sebastian Vettel, 2009 Malaysian GP Friday Practice.

CMSMJ1
CMSMJ1

Great post shir0.

Well put and easy to understand =D>
IMPERATOR REX ANGLORUM

Crabbia
Crabbia

ok just thinking about these difuser interpretations, as i see it i think the ferrari, for one didnt need to have a hightened diffuser because it doesnt suit their design... look at the following photo and you'll see there is daylight all the way across the floor under the suspension components...

http://www.gurneyflap.com/Resources/f607.jpg
(didnt past it directly cause i think it may be high res)

my theory is they dont need to hieghten their diffuser because they have nice even airflow from the floor feeding the top of it. that is to say that there is airflow comming from the floor over the central section of the diffuser.

Similarly for red bull:

the airflow that flows over the side pods flows straight over the diffuser, with no necesssity to increase the hieght.

now take a look at williams, one of the 'high diffusers'...

it seems to be fed by a splitter futher back in the diffuser istelf to produce the pressure gradient between the uppper and the lower chambers of the central part of the diffuser.

again, the toyota, the central section has no clean flow over the top and so they created the hightened bit to compensate...
http://premium.f1-live.com/f1/photos-hi ... po_145.jpg
(another high res foto so just supplying the link...)

Also, you have to see the political side of this story, who are the teams with stock standard, to the letter diffusers. Among other, but mainly Ferrari Mclaren and Renault. Who forms the Overtaking working group? Ferrari Mclaren and Renault.
they could not be seen to be suggestting rules and at the first opportunity turn around and break them themselves. No doubt the FIA so an opportunity of this as a 'performance equaliser'...

Anyways...
A wise man once told me you cant polish a turd...

Keir

wesley123 wrote:This part will probably be the most interesting part of a f1 car in 2009, lots of possibilities around here.

I still odnt understand why no1 has adopted the RBr idea by pulling the end plate all the way down, the diffuser might be smaller for them, but that will be gained back by the deep endplates.
I think red bulls idea on this is even more efficient than the ones of the other teams, look at what the lmp's did in around 2002, they didnt made the diffuser at maximum width, but instead they left some space, why? Because by this the diffuser will generate more downforce as the rear hweels doesnt interupt the airflow that much anymore, similair is done by red bull, they probably got a cleaner airflow out of the diffuser and around it, because by the deep endplates the dirty air generated by the rear wheels wont hit the diffuser anymore, thus increasing the efficiency.
Red Bull remember have adopted a different way of mounting the rear wing to the other teams (with the exception of Brawn (and STR obviously)).
They have used the endplates as supports, something that was almost uniformally adopted across the F1 paddock until recent years, rather than a central pylon.

ISLAMATRON

If they wrote the diffuser rules they could have been predisposed to thinking it should be 1 way and 1 way only, whereas the other teams would have immediately be looking for a loophole.

imightbewrong
imightbewrong

Keir wrote:
wesley123 wrote:This part will probably be the most interesting part of a f1 car in 2009, lots of possibilities around here.

Red Bull remember have adopted a different way of mounting the rear wing to the other teams (with the exception of Brawn (and STR obviously)).
They have used the endplates as supports, something that was almost uniformally adopted across the F1 paddock until recent years, rather than a central pylon.
haha, nobody seems to notice that the toyota doesn't have a separate support either, it also uses the endplates

wesley123
wesley123

imightbewrong wrote:
Keir wrote:

haha, nobody seems to notice that the toyota doesn't have a separate support either, it also uses the endplates
my post wasnt about that the endlates supprot the wing but what gains/losses those deep end plates and smaller diffuser got.
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

Michiba
Michiba

Can someone explain to me why there are holes in the center section of the diffusers on some of the cars? I can't seem to find a reason for it anywhere. And I'm not talking about the gap as seen on the BGP, I'm talking about the one seen on the Ferrari, BMW and Maclaren

djos

Michiba wrote:Can someone explain to me why there are holes in the center section of the diffusers on some of the cars? I can't seem to find a reason for it anywhere. And I'm not talking about the gap as seen on the BGP, I'm talking about the one seen on the Ferrari, BMW and Maclaren
Simple, that's for the electric starter shaft to connect to the gearbox.
"In downforce we trust"

nudger
nudger

Crabbia wrote:Also, you have to see the political side of this story, who are the teams with stock standard, to the letter diffusers. Among other, but mainly Ferrari Mclaren and Renault. Who forms the Overtaking working group? Ferrari Mclaren and Renault.
they could not be seen to be suggestting rules and at the first opportunity turn around and break them themselves. No doubt the FIA so an opportunity of this as a 'performance equaliser'...

Anyways...
add to that, the fact that Mosley has warned the OWG in febuary that if it did not achieve its target downforce reduction, it would be the end of the expert group.
He cant have his cake and eat it.

axle
axle

Isn't Ross Brawn the chairman of the OWG? Or does he chair another group?
- Axle

blobslosak
blobslosak

From a Max Mosley interview from itv-f1.com about the 'illegal' diffusers:

"It's a very clever device and you can make a very good case for saying that it's legal and a very good case for saying that it's illegal," Mosley told the Daily Telegraph.

"It's going to be difficult.

"What's actually happened is that teams are saying 'We think it's illegal for this and this reason.'"

He said there was no longer time to resolve the issue before the first race.

"If there had been more time before the detailed objections to the system were sent in, I would probably have sent it to the FIA Court of Appeal before Australia, and actually I have given thought to that this week," Mosley said.

"But there isn't time. It wouldn't be fair.

"I think the thing will probably come to some sort of a head in Australia.

"One possibility is that all the teams agree that it is illegal, and therefore all the teams shouldn't have it from Barcelona.

"But then those teams who say it is legal will say 'Why should we do that?' And those that say it's illegal will say 'Why should we lose an advantage for four races?'

"And so probably what will happen is it will end up going to the stewards, who will make a decision.

"That will almost certainly be appealed by whichever side is disadvantaged, and then that will go to our Court of Appeal and be hammered out."

Mosley said he had no inkling whether the diffusers would ultimately be declared legal or not.

"It's not straightforward," he said.

"I have an open mind on it at the moment - I can see it going either way. I really can.

"But somebody has to make their mind up and fortunately it's not my job."

This could get messy :|