New IndyCar concepts break cover

Please discuss here all your remarks and pose your questions about all racing series, except Formula One. Both technical and other questions about GP2, Touring cars, IRL, LMS, ...
ESPImperium
ESPImperium

New IndyCar concepts break cover

http://www.motorauthority.com/blog/1059 ... t-speedway
Dallara are particularly proud of the cost reduction in the new car, which has an initial purchase price of $349,000. This includes everything but the seat and steering wheel and does include one set of suspension pieces.

http://www.topspeed.com/cars/car-news/2 ... tures.html

Muulka
Muulka

Re: Indy Car 2012 Concepts Break Cover

It's quite funny how that everyone starts to introduce shark fins on their cars (GP2, LMS, this) just as F1 bans them. It's also quite strange to see that this has a translucent one...

Anyway, what do we think of it? Why does Dallara insist in keeping such a ridiculously low nose? It can't be good for aero (unless ovals need it) and it would only serve to send another car straight onto the driver's helmet in a head-on (and fact it, it's IndyCar- there's gonna be crashes). At least a high nose would help absorb some of the impact, making less brains come out. Oh well, design doesn't really matter in a spec series TBH.

Scania
Scania

give me back delta wing plz....... :shock:

gridwalker
gridwalker

Are there any close up shots of the high downforce rear wing? I'd like a better look at the layout ...
"Change is inevitable, except from a vending machine ..."

Giblet
Giblet

Before I do anything I ask myself “Would an idiot do that?” And if the answer is yes, I do not do that thing. - Dwight Schrute

Pierce89

Scania wrote:give me back delta wing plz....... :shock:
seriously? :wtf:
“To be able to actually make something is awfully nice”
Bruce McLaren on building his first McLaren racecars, 1970

“I've got to be careful what I say, but possibly to probably Juan would have had a bigger go”
Sir Frank Williams after the 2003 Canadian GP, where Ralf hesitated to pass brother M. Schumacher

Pierce89

Other than the rear wheel pods, I like it. Oh, and the low nose is for saftey. F1's rule makers want to get back to low noses because the rasied noses launch when they hit a spinning tire(Webber, Valencia 2010)
“To be able to actually make something is awfully nice”
Bruce McLaren on building his first McLaren racecars, 1970

“I've got to be careful what I say, but possibly to probably Juan would have had a bigger go”
Sir Frank Williams after the 2003 Canadian GP, where Ralf hesitated to pass brother M. Schumacher

Shrek
Shrek

i wonder what would happen if they hadd the regular(todays) monocoque and just made it to where you would switch everything else, i would think it would save the teams money no buying the new one (which is one of the reasons owners want to wait a year)
Spencer

Sebp

I like what they have done to the rear of the car. Especially behind the wheels.

Why is everyone going combine harvester now? Do Indycars seriously need to emulate F1 in that respect? I can understand why the new GP2 car has similar aero to F1, being a feeder series and all. But Indy?

mx_tifoso
mx_tifoso

Why is the front end so simple yet the rear so "complicated"? It doesn't look balanced.

And oddly (or not) it keeps the traditional Indy look to it. Not that it will bother me since I haven't watched this series since 2004/5.
Forum guide: read before posting

"You do it, then it's done." - Kimi Räikkönen

Por las buenas soy amigo, por las malas soy campeón.

Scania
Scania

Pierce89 wrote:
it is uglier than DW so so much! :shock:

RabMcH

Scania wrote:
Pierce89 wrote:
it is uglier than DW so so much! :shock:
1. Delta wing is a plane with wheels and I quote Jeremy Clarkson when I say "public transport fails".
2. How did you plan on getting DW round a hairpin? It looks as if it would be much more suitable on a drag strip than a racing circuit.
3. IMHO that is the sweetest ass I have ever seen on a car. (I'm a sucker for aero :D )

wesley123
wesley123

they couldnt probably make it more uglier (well the Delta wing is uglier, but you can hardly call that a road vehicle, rahter call it an ground fighter). The indy version would actually look good without the hunp in front of the rear wheel and without the cover on the back of the rear wheel.
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

RabMcH

wesley123 wrote:they couldn't probably make it more uglier (well the Delta wing is uglier, but you can hardly call that a road vehicle, rahter call it an ground fighter). The Indy version would actually look good without the hump in front of the rear wheel and without the cover on the back of the rear wheel.
I agree with the large bump looking rather stupid, but on the road course version it looks much more suitable, I disagree with the covers behind the rear wheel. If you take a look at the past few Indy car races, many drivers are involved in collisions involving a cars front wing being picked up by the rear wheel, of the car in front, cause full course yellows and thus making the race more boring, these covers should reduce that chance and allow for a more competitive race. :)

shelly
shelly

It is strange that thy have put an airscoop: the engine is turbo so it is not needed
twitter: @armchair_aero