Lotus E21 Renault

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter does not belong here.

Post Mon Jan 28, 2013 3:48 pm

A quick reminder that the car threads are a haven for exploring the actual features of the actual car.

We have other threads for team & race conversations.

______________________________________________________________________________________________

The pre-launch speculation thread can be found here:

:arrow: viewtopic.php?f=12&t=14311

(Will be unlocked at launch time - 19:15 GMT)
Richard

Post Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:15 pm

Nice ending to the pre-launch speculation thread. Let's see it!
"...and there, very much in flames, is Jacques Laffite's Ligier. That's obviously a turbo blaze, and of course, Laffite will be able to see that conflagration in his mirrors... he is coolly parking the car somewhere safe." Murray Walker, San Marino 1985
stefan_

Post Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:24 pm

Still has the ugly step nose sadly
morefirejules08

Post Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:25 pm

Looking forward to the first one who notices it's actually last year's car.
I think overtaking is an art - Montoya
AnthonyG

Post Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:26 pm

Crappy launch is crappy.
I cried like a baby when I saw Alonso win the 2012 Malaysian GP. I almost died of happy when he lifted the trophy.
Ferrari Magic.
SchumacherM

Post Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:28 pm

Omg step nose... haha you guys were right its last years car I. Bet we wont see the new car till testing..
"Suddenly I realised that I was no longer driving the car consciously. I was driving it by a kind of instinct, only I was in a different dimension."
__Ayrton Senna
KATO

Post Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:28 pm

So they didn't put the panel due weight. Weird; the panel would weight near nothing.
turbof1

Post Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:29 pm

The exhaust ramp is there, the duck-like nose is still there...new livery, though...

Just like James said: "The devil is in the details":)
Carmack

Post Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:30 pm

It's a painted E20, they don't show their cards.
The boss follows me on twitter.
Mika1

turbof1 wrote:So they didn't put the panel due weight. Weird; the panel would weight near nothing.

It has to deflect up-to 200mph air masses without exploding so while light it's never gong to be an 8g CF special - and given the height above reference plane I guess it was CoG vs aero vs aesthetics and the most important one (in current F1 racing) won.

...Or we just saw a PR event and there's benefits in not revealing your solution yet. But since when has logic or probability figured in our speculation on launch cars :D
Last edited by Gridlock on Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gridlock

turbof1 wrote:So they didn't put the panel due weight. Weird; the panel would weight near nothing.

I'm confident that what they mean is "we found some downforce in a loophole in the rules for the vanity cover, but we're keeping it back for the first race".
beelsebob

Post Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:31 pm

actually as i understand it...James Allison is saying F the modesty panel...its not worth it..if someone does something clever with it to produce some downforce we will copy it...if not thats how it will stay
Last edited by amouzouris on Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
amouzouris

Post Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:31 pm

If Kimi stopps gobbling down those ice-creams that will save some weight to be used in the panel :mrgreen:
"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose." - Ayrton Senna
diego1960

Post Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:32 pm

I think we'll see the real thing on the 5th.
"...and there, very much in flames, is Jacques Laffite's Ligier. That's obviously a turbo blaze, and of course, Laffite will be able to see that conflagration in his mirrors... he is coolly parking the car somewhere safe." Murray Walker, San Marino 1985
stefan_

Post Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:32 pm

Mika1 wrote:It's a painted E20, they don't show their cards.

3rd year in a row they do that I think.

(Richard, if I were you, I'd close this thread and re-open the old one :mrgreen: )
I think overtaking is an art - Montoya
AnthonyG

Next

Return to F1 Car Hardware & Development