F1 tipped to return to Austria in 2014

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.

Bomber_Pilot

Re: F1 tipped to return to Austria in 2014

Very good news. I like this track a lot.

motorloon1993

Lovely circuit with some great elevations, I watched the 2003 (and last) Austrian Grand Prix just last night, spooky.

edit: What lap times could we expect?

Kiril Varbanov

motorloon1993 wrote:Lovely circuit with some great elevations, I watched the 2003 (and last) Austrian Grand Prix just last night, spooky.

edit: What lap times could we expect?
My guess would be less than 1:10 given the track total distance of 4.3 km. I had a colleague driving Renault 2.0 car over there few weeks ago, so let me ask him about the time.

gandharva

stefan_

It would be great to have an extra Grand Prix in Europe starting next year and the scenery of Austria is great.
"...and there, very much in flames, is Jacques Laffite's Ligier. That's obviously a turbo blaze, and of course, Laffite will be able to see that conflagration in his mirrors... he is coolly parking the car somewhere safe." Murray Walker, San Marino 1985

astracrazy

good we are getting an addition to europe instead of them getting removed. But now we are getting 3 new tracks next year, meaning 22 GP's.

Blanchimont

The best lap time in F1 qualifying is from Rubens Barrichello who did a 1:08.082 in 2002.
Bruno Spengler achieved a best time of 1:24.588 this year in DTM qualifying.

And as the Red Bull Ring is a high speed course i don't expect the downforce cut next year will slow down F1 there that much.
Dear FIA, if you read this, please pm me for a redesign of the Technical Regulations to avoid finger nose shapes for 2016! :-)

CBeck113

That means no more three week breaks (except for the summer break). This is good news, considering how much we are currently suffering in this lull. We don't need a NASCAR schedule, but up to 25 races will keep the weekends interesting...and the wives unhappy :-D .
“Strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony!” Monty Python and the Holy Grail

SectorOne

I bet FIA will ruin it by using 457 DRS zones.

Can´t complain though, always nice to see more European racetracks.
"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

Kiril Varbanov

I'm happy to have Red Bull Ring, as this will allow much more people from the regions around to visit the race.

I had further talks with my colleague who was driving over there, and from driver point of view his impressions are very good. I can't elaborate further for the lap times, as he was "driving on the south side" whatever that means. According to him the negotiations for F1 comeback have started as early as 2011, at this time Bernie wanted the race back in 2015.

Mika1

I love the track, very good news.
The boss follows me on twitter.

WhiteBlue

This could be an opportunity to alternate with the German GP. Generally I'm very pleased with the return and I think that more races are a good idea as long as we find enough slots for off season races that stretch the traditional European season into October, November, February and March. I do not like the idea of extensive winter testing very much and I don't like very long winter breaks. As long as the teams can make enough money to pay bigger race teams and give their mechanics decent holidays I'm all in favour of up to 26-30 races.
Last edited by WhiteBlue on 23 Jul 2013, 15:52, edited 1 time in total.
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

sennafan24

astracrazy wrote:good we are getting an addition to europe instead of them getting removed. But now we are getting 3 new tracks next year, meaning 22 GP's.
Unless they drop 1 or 2 races.

SectorOne

Which they probably will...
He´s already mentioned Monza needing to get their sh*t together. Which probably means upgrade the infrastructure.
"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"