Force India VJM07 Pre-launch Speculation

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
turbof1

Force India VJM07 Pre-launch Speculation

This is the speculation thread about the 2014 car. Rumors, articles, ideas and fantasies about the car can be posted here. Once the car gets officially launched, this thread will be closed and discussion continues in the official thread.

Engine speculation has its own thread; unless it directly involves the 2014 Force India contender, please keep any speculation here: http://www.f1technical.net/forum/viewto ... ead#unread

For other 2014 topics, please check here
#AeroFrodo

FrukostScones

Re: Force India VJM07 Pre-launch Speculation

AMuS reported some while back that the nose has the shape of an ugly (not crazy :mrgreen: ) thin banana.
Finishing races is important, but racing is more important.

Godius

I've read somewhere that they are finally stepping into the five+ element front wing league. They really need to btw.

Racer X

Force India has two great driver next season I cant wait to see the ugly noses that will come out as a result of the reg and how well the Mercedez engine does. Does anyone know if the Chassis has passed its crash tests?
RedBull Racing Checo//PEREZ

LotusF1

apparently they are going to have a snowplough...

zzed_41

LotusF1 wrote:apparently they are going to have a snowplough...
Where'd you get that info?

trinidefender

Godius wrote:I've read somewhere that they are finally stepping into the five+ element front wing league. They really need to btw.
What kind of comment is that? Would you care to explain why this is a better solution? Or are you going by the "other teams are using it so it must be better" thought process?

Remember next year the front wings are narrower. A reason that some of the teams used so many elements on the outboard section of their wings is to be able to change the angle of the airflow even more to move it up and over and around the side of the tyre more. Also with more elements you can make it less sensitive to pitch changes of the wing, something the outboard section needs to create a very stable vortex around the outside of the front tyre. That is why the inboard section of wings use much fewer elements. They are simply not needed.

With the wings being so much narrower than 2013 then if a team goes for the in-wash front wing then most likely all those elements will be reduced to 2 or 3. If a team goes for an out-wash design then maybe a totally new school of thinking will have to be employed to get the airflow out to the side and over the top of the tyre.

On the flip side the neutral section is the same width (correct me if I am wrong) and the outer width has been cut down. This means that designers have less wing area to work with. To counteract this designers may decide to go with more elements for the entire wing area to run a higher angle of attack (AoA) to make up lost downforce from wing width reduction.

WillerZ

trinidefender wrote:… the neutral section is the same width (correct me if I am wrong) and the outer width has been cut down. This means that designers have less wing area to work with. To counteract this designers may decide to go with more elements for the entire wing area to run a higher angle of attack (AoA) to make up lost downforce from wing width reduction.
Before they want to do that they will first need to have reclaimed the lost downforce at the rear of the car. For 2014 there is no more diffuser-blowing, smaller diffuser-height, smaller rear-wings and no beam wing. The total lost at the back is way more than the loss at the front; at the start of the season they may end up looking for efficient ways to lose front-downforce in order to balance the car.

Having too little front downforce is a dream problem to have this year.

lio007

WillerZ wrote:...smaller diffuser-height...
Really? Haven't mentioned that yet.

WillerZ

lio007 wrote:
WillerZ wrote:...smaller diffuser-height...
Really? Haven't mentioned that yet.
I based that on the pictures in this article and a vague recollection of having read it elsewhere. However comparing the 2013 regs and the 2014 regs, there is no change to the wording of regulation 3.12.7 which sets the diffuser height. I apologise for the misinformation.

What there is, however is the removal of the wording in 3.10.1 which allowed ‘gurney’ type trim tabs on the diffuser trailing edge: presumably this is why the grey area in the picture for 2014 is smaller. So I should have said:

For 2014 there is no more diffuser-blowing, no more gurney flaps on the diffuser, no more beam wing, and smaller rear-wings.

I think the conclusion that they've lost far more from the back than the front stands ;)

Manoah2u

"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

FrukostScones

that doesn't look like the snowplough solution
Finishing races is important, but racing is more important.

ajprice

Looks at lighting on Perez's face, looks at name badge... Nooooooo he's not been photoshopped into that at all! :wtf:

Edit: very very definitely not photoshopped :mrgreen:

Huntresa

Hahaha, is that with Perez an official picture ? If it is thats fukkn sad...