Toro Rosso STR9 Pre-launch Speculation

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
turbof1

Toro Rosso STR9 Pre-launch Speculation

This is the speculation thread about the 2014 car. Rumors, articles, ideas and fantasies about the car can be posted here. Once the car gets officially launched, this thread will be closed and discussion continues in the official thread.

Engine speculation has its own thread; unless it directly involves the 2014 Torro Rosso contender, please keep any speculation here: http://www.f1technical.net/forum/viewto ... ead#unread

For other 2014 topics, please check here
Last edited by turbof1 on 04 Dec 2013, 01:40, edited 1 time in total.
#AeroFrodo

Dream Theater

Re: Torro Rosso STR9 Pre-launch Speculation

It's Toro (with only one "r", which means Bull) instead of Torro. Please correct it. :P

turbof1

Re: Toro Rosso STR9 Pre-launch Speculation

Whoops, my bad. Thanks for noticing!
#AeroFrodo

Coefficient

Re: Torro Rosso STR9 Pre-launch Speculation

Dream Theater wrote:It's Toro (with only one "r", which means Bull) instead of Torro. Please correct it. :P
What a dramatic turn of events! We need more images and words in this thread! ;-)
"I started out with nothing and I've still got most of it".

AnthonyG

An inwash wing and a double'esque floor like 2012?
Thank you really doesn't really describe enough what I feel. - Vettel

WillerZ

I speculate:

Broadly rectangular in plan
V6 combustion engine
ERS
Front wing
Rear wing
5 wheels; 4 near the corners, one in the middle
The 3 wheels nearest to the front wing to be (indirectly) connected to each other to enable steering
The 2 wheels nearest to the rear wing to be connected to each other and the engine/ERS

SectorOne

In theory, what is stopping Newey from designing this car as well?
RBT is building cars for both teams, and Newey is employed by RBT. (as is Ascanelli if i´m not mistaken)
"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

CBeck113

I believe that RB is using TR not just to test their drivers, but their engineers, mechanics, and other "talents" as well.
“Strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony!” Monty Python and the Holy Grail

Tim.Wright

SectorOne wrote:In theory, what is stopping Newey from designing this car as well?
RBT is building cars for both teams, and Newey is employed by RBT. (as is Ascanelli if i´m not mistaken)
Time for one thing...
Not the engineer at Force India

SectorOne

Yea that´s one but maybe he doesn´t have to be that involved.
He could work full time on the RB, then tell what direction STR should go in like with their double floor etc.
If it works then he´s got all the blueprints in house to incorporate such an idea pretty quickly.

Using the STR as a guinea pig sort of.
"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

Gridlock

Toro Rosso are the most obvious A/B test in the world, IMO, so their general 2014 design direction will be "to test whatever RBR can't" - see eg TR always being at the other end of the speed trap figures to the RBs (until recently, when top speed apparently became fashionable at MK - I guess Mr Newey had some spare time after the 2012 tyres came back).

If TR start running exotic keel designs we'll know someone's mind has moved onto America's Cup :D

Dream Theater

Crash test passed and first STR9 chassis currently being assembled, according to Toro Rosso official website. Here the source: http://www.scuderiatororosso.com/cs/Sat ... 3361370458

CottrellGP

Dan Cottrell

Master Of Innovation!

zioture

I noticed an interesting detail
it seems the pylon and is high, so 'I think the nose might be like in the picture

http://www.newsf1.it

Thunder

Looks like an STR8 to me.

turbof1 wrote: YOU SHALL NOT......STALLLLL!!!
#aerogollum