Lotus F1 Team 2014

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
stefan_

Lotus F1 Team 2014

Base: Enstone, Oxfordshire - United Kingdom
Team principal: Eric Boullier
Technical Director: Nick Chester

Drivers:
Romain Grosjean Image - #8
Pastor Maldonado Image - #13

2014 Chassis:
Lotus E22

2014 Engine:*
Renault Energy F1 1.6 V6 Turbo

* - to be confirmed

Image Image Image Image Image
"...and there, very much in flames, is Jacques Laffite's Ligier. That's obviously a turbo blaze, and of course, Laffite will be able to see that conflagration in his mirrors... he is coolly parking the car somewhere safe." Murray Walker, San Marino 1985

Kiril Varbanov

Re: Lotus F1 Team 2014

AMuS exclusive: Lopez denies financial issues - http://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/form ... 83397.html

Blackout

Where did Lotus's depts come from ?

IMO, If you look at Lotus's 2012 and 2013 seasons , you should notice there is a big contrast between what Lotus did at the factory and what Lotus did on the track regarding developpment.

At Enstone, they must have spent a lot of money in order to renovate and upgrade the factory and prepare 2014.
They :
- installed a test bench for the gearboxes
- updated and upgrded the supercomputer
- replaced most of their 3-axis machines with modern 5-axis machines
- installed a modern simulator
- renovated the composites department
- started the 2014 program very early
etc. .

However, if we look closely at their development campaign in 2013, you'll find out that they have tried to be as economic as possible;
They kept the same chassis/monocoque design between 2012 and 2013 and they never did such thing befor AFAIR (Even between 2006 and 2007 were the regulations remained relatively unchainged, they produced a completely different monocoque) and only Williams and the two smallest teams did the same this year.
- They have clearly established a strict and limited development program. They didnt copy any other car AFAIR while all the other big/medium teams are copiying each other. There is plenty of fancy technical solutions that you can find on all the other cars but not on the E21...
- They did other savings regarding Raikkonen's salary and Grosejan's car :p

Their biggest 2013 developments; the DRD and the long wheelbase are long term investments. The DRD will remain legal in 2014 AFAIK and thanks to the long wheelbase, they killed three birds with one stone:

- they tested the simulator
- They prepared in 2014 as cars will probably have a longer wheelbase
- they have improved the E21

Holm86

Has Marco Sørensen been announced as new reserve driver?? Just thought I've heard that somewhere.

AnthonyG

Blackout wrote:Where did Lotus's depts come from ?

IMO, If you look at Lotus's 2012 and 2013 seasons , you should notice there is a big contrast between what Lotus did at the factory and what Lotus did on the track regarding developpment.

At Enstone, they must have spent a lot of money in order to renovate and upgrade the factory and prepare 2014.
They :
- installed a test bench for the gearboxes
- updated and upgrded the supercomputer
- replaced most of their 3-axis machines with modern 5-axis machines
- installed a modern simulator
- renovated the composites department
- started the 2014 program very early
etc. .

However, if we look closely at their development campaign in 2013, you'll find out that they have tried to be as economic as possible;
They kept the same chassis/monocoque design between 2012 and 2013 and they never did such thing befor AFAIR (Even between 2006 and 2007 were the regulations remained relatively unchainged, they produced a completely different monocoque) and only Williams and the two smallest teams did the same this year.
- They have clearly established a strict and limited development program. They didnt copy any other car AFAIR while all the other big/medium teams are copiying each other. There is plenty of fancy technical solutions that you can find on all the other cars but not on the E21...
- They did other savings regarding Raikkonen's salary and Grosejan's car :p

Their biggest 2013 developments; the DRD and the long wheelbase are long term investments. The DRD will remain legal in 2014 AFAIK and thanks to the long wheelbase, they killed three birds with one stone:

- they tested the simulator
- They prepared in 2014 as cars will probably have a longer wheelbase
- they have improved the E21

They didn't upgrade their car much, but on the other hand it was often the second fastest on track, only to be outpaced by Red Bull's machinery. And by second best I mean lapping half a second faster than the 3rd fastest.
Lotus shows that F1 is more than winning and good on track results, for a team performing this welll it's a shame they have these difficulties.

(P.S. It's deBt ;) )
Thank you really doesn't really describe enough what I feel. - Vettel

Gridlock

He probably wouldn't mind another season as an F1 reserve if it actually meant anything.

Jonnycraig

In an interview with F1Passion.it Valsecchi said he doesn't expect to stay at Lotus but revealed he has been contacted by (Patrick) Louis who wants to speak to him in person. Asked what he expects from the meeting, Valsecchi replied: "I really don't know.

"Maybe he wants to wish me a happy new year, or tell me that they hired Sorensen, or that he is resigning. I don't have expectations; we'll certainly have a good chat. If they were to offer me a job like that of last year, not to race, then I'd prefer to stay at home and help with my father's company, Ediltecnica. I'm not interested in Formula One just to comment about it on TV. I prefer to race."

As well as revealing that he hasn't yet been paid by Lotus and feels the team made a mistake choosing Kovalainen over him, Valsecchi said his main target for 2014 was now to secure a move to IndyCar.

"I have no news regarding my commitment to the sport at the moment. I'm not able to anticipate anything… For sure, if someone were to call me to race without asking me for money, I'd be ready to do it right away, but I'm not too worried about the situation. And I won't stop exerting myself to have a steering wheel in hand soon. In the meantime, I don't conceal my desire to get into IndyCar. There is someone who gave me a hand, although in the U.S. I'm not as famous as here in Europe, where my achievements in GP2 are well known."

Read more at http://en.espnf1.com/lotusf1/motorsport ... EK4sU1I.99

SkinnyMinnie

As seen on their twitter account the 2014 car has passed all the homologation tests !

dren

Autosport is reporting the team is still chasing quantum money.
Honda!

Callum

Does anyone know if an engine deal has officially been finalised?

Holm86

According to one Danish media Saxo Bank could be a new Lotus sponsor. Securing Marco Sørensen a role as reserve driver for the team. This is not a very credible media though so I'm taking it with a pinch of salt.

edit* just found out that a more credible source mentioned this first. Mentioning that there will be new on the subject at Jan. 20.

lio007

Callum wrote:Does anyone know if an engine deal has officially been finalised?
Lopez confirmed the renault engine in this interview:
AMuS

stefan_

This engine thing was an artifical "problem" that the media created. The deal with Renault wansn't supposed to be "confirmed" or "announced" as it was something that was natural to happen.
"...and there, very much in flames, is Jacques Laffite's Ligier. That's obviously a turbo blaze, and of course, Laffite will be able to see that conflagration in his mirrors... he is coolly parking the car somewhere safe." Murray Walker, San Marino 1985

Holm86

stefan_ wrote:This engine thing was an artifical "problem" that the media created. The deal with Renault wansn't supposed to be "confirmed" or "announced" as it was something that was natural to happen.
Many people thinks they should have announced the engine for this year. But did their contract with Renault even expire after last season?? I think when they announced their last deal with Renault is was till 2015 or something like that?