Mercedes AMG F1 W05

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Thunder

Re: Mercedes AMG F1 W05

AMuS wrote something about a shorter Nose at the Bahrain Tests but it never made it to the Car. So maybe we will se this in Melbourne.
turbof1 wrote: YOU SHALL NOT......STALLLLL!!!
#aerogollum

bonjon1979

Owen.C93 wrote:A new Mercedes engine promo was released with a 3D car render, it looked more accurate than your usual team promo render but the nose has been made shorter and slightly higher which ties in with the rumor of making it interact with the front wing less. Probably nothing but thought I'd post it as there have been quite a few times in the past where 3D renders reveal future updates.

Render:
http://i.imgur.com/96k5Afy.png
Old:
http://i.imgur.com/FLsCLm5.png
Source:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=96cHD7H1ZEw

Soon find out anyway.
Really like the look of the rendered nose. If all the cars were like that I'd have nothing but full support for the new rules surrounding the nose. Much prefer it to the high nosed cars we've had the last few years.

heimana

Thunders wrote:AMuS wrote something about a shorter Nose at the Bahrain Tests but it never made it to the Car. So maybe we will se this in Melbourne.
we did not see this new nose because it did not spend the crashs tests and mercedes spent the tests yesterday but we have no informations about it. i hope they managed and we will see this new nose in fp1 or fp2 friday

siskue2005

Thunders wrote:AMuS wrote something about a shorter Nose at the Bahrain Tests but it never made it to the Car. So maybe we will se this in Melbourne.
It was told that it will debut at the final test but it didnot pass the crash test , so they moved its launch to Melbourne

f1316

Could be that, after the first day's incident with the front wing coming off, they decided not to risk the smaller attachment points in this design until they'd done further analysis.

Just a thought.

Morteza

So if the rumored new nose has successfully passed the crash test, we will see it this weekend, right?
"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

Dyanxx

Morteza wrote:So if the rumored new nose has successfully passed the crash test, we will see it this weekend, right?
Yes

SectorOne

Thunders wrote:@SectorOne: First, this belongs in the Team Thread.

And second, it's just Doomsday bla bla from RedBull.
Quote from the Autosport Forum on this Interview ->http://www.f1times.co.uk/news/display/08598
What makes me laugh is where Horner says "They invested more, they invested earlier," as if to make excuse as to why RBR are behind, because they invested more in last years car than others did before switching. However I clearly remember in 2009 when McLaren and Ferrari were behind and sighted the reason being they invested to the very end in 2008 where others didn't, Horner said in an interview words to the effect "These are just excuse from McLaren and Ferrari, teams with budgets like their's would have had two teams one working on '08 car and the other working on '09 car. We've just done a better job."
Just the typical RB Thing, i don't think any Team invests more Money than RB, well maybe Ferrari.
The quote has nothing to do with my quote though. It´s the 2 laps clear of everyone else that´s interesting, not what Horner said in 2008 as his reasons for being competitive has nothing to do with my quote.
"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

pmneo

Interesting detail in this Render:

Seems they have an asymmetric Fuel-Tank?

Why would they do that?

Ferraripilot

pmneo wrote:

Why would they do that?

Perhaps to offset weight from the other side which may house a sizable amount of various gear. Might make the car difficult under lighter loads? I don't think there's any way to have both sides of any of these cars to be exactly equal in weight anyway.

Owen.C93

Doesn't look like a great idea as the fuel load goes down though.
Motorsport Graduate in search of team experience ;)

Manoah2u

pmneo wrote:
Interesting detail in this Render:

http://i.imgur.com/IKsQUP5.png

Why would they do that?
maybe it's a solution to Lewis being "left bearing" =P~ "is it coz i iz black?"

Think it's safe to assume they'll be having some heavier equipment on the left side of the car, so they'll adapt by
balancing the fuel tank to the right.
If, you can take anything from this at all, for i feel like i wouldn't take too much honesty on CGI renders of the
car made for 'entertainment' purposes. they won't be given anything crucial away, so it's not a correct representation
of the actual car anyway.

wouldnt' look to much into it to be honest.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

motobaleno

http://www.omnicorse.it/magazine/35541/ ... ompressore

omnicorse reports MGU-H mercedes placed between turbine and compressor...
ferrari and renault inside the V...
actually something like that can be seen from the video above
Last edited by motobaleno on 11 Mar 2014, 18:47, edited 2 times in total.

Owen.C93

Yeah the merc has it's intake through the V which matches with the pics we've seen. Rollhoop actually goes to a cooler above the gearbox.
Motorsport Graduate in search of team experience ;)

FrukostScones

according to AMuS-Magazin, Mercdes got it sliglty wrong with their gearing, third and fourth are to short and the higher gears are too long.
McLaren are generally geared shorter for the early races but will use the "gearing joker" (one time change of gear ratios during the 2014 season) to have the best possible gearing for the faster cicuits later in the season.

Sounded a bit strange too me (Merc should have the best engine data and good sims), but in a recent interview Lauda was ranting about the fixed gear ratios in 2014.
Finishing races is important, but racing is more important.