Bore x stroke

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.

Post Wed Feb 01, 2006 12:43 pm

Somebody have the bore and stroke dimensions of the new F1 V8 engines ?
Rafael de Oliveira

Post Wed Feb 01, 2006 4:12 pm

yeah

Post Wed Feb 01, 2006 11:09 pm

Same as V10
manchild

Post Thu Feb 02, 2006 1:11 am

anybody know what the figures are though?! :shock:
Silence is golden when you don't know a good answer.
Spencifer_Murphy

Post Thu Feb 02, 2006 2:09 am

98/45 I think, not sure... something like that
manchild

Post Mon Feb 06, 2006 3:48 pm

New rules on engine limit bore to a maximum of 98 mm and very likely most of teams will tend to the maximum, consequently stroke has to be 39.7 mm

BTW, did you know that Cosworth collaborated with FIA to write the rules for the V8 ? I’ve never seen it reported in news, but the man who told it to me is usually a reliable source.
If it’s true it’s no surprise variable length intake are now banned considering that Cosworth was the only manufacturer not using them on the V10...
Reca

Post Mon Feb 06, 2006 8:33 pm

Reca wrote:New rules on engine limit bore to a maximum of 98 mm and very likely most of teams will tend to the maximum, consequently stroke has to be 39.7 mm

BTW, did you know that Cosworth collaborated with FIA to write the rules for the V8 ? I’ve never seen it reported in news, but the man who told it to me is usually a reliable source.
If it’s true it’s no surprise variable length intake are now banned considering that Cosworth was the only manufacturer not using them on the V10...

Can you imagine if Ferrari had collaborated with the F.I.A. on the V8...Christ, Manchild would have had a field day! :lol:
Scuderia_Russ

Post Tue Feb 07, 2006 1:36 am

:roll:
manchild

Post Wed Feb 08, 2006 12:51 am

you mean they didnt then?

Post Wed Feb 08, 2006 5:22 am

Who, me?
manchild

Post Sun Feb 12, 2006 6:41 pm

I didn’t want to start a conspiracy theory... was just pointing out one of the possible reasons for the removal of the variable length intakes, after all isn’t a particularly complex or expensive technology so the ban was, IMO, curious.
Anyway, assuming that the info is true, I’m convinced that it was a good idea to ask help from an engine manufacturer, after all the rules needed to be pretty specific (particularly on materials) and certainly, in that light, Cosworth was probably the best choice.
Nevertheless it’s indubitable that if instead of Cosworth it was Ferrari, the reactions in the news (and by manchild ;-)) would have been very very different.
Reca

Return to Engine, transmission and controls