2014 British GP - Silverstone

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
raymondu999

2014 British GP - Silverstone

Tyres - Hard (prime, orange) and Medium (option, white)

Tyres - Hard (prime, orange) and Medium (option, white)
Polesitter - Lewis Hamilton (1:29.607)
Winner - Nico Rosberg (Medium - Hard - Hard - Hard)

Tyres - Hard (prime, silver) and Soft (option, yellow)
Polesitter - Fernando Alonso (1:51.746)
Winner - Mark Webber (Soft - Hard - Hard)

Tyres - Hard (prime, silver) and Soft (option, yellow)
Polesitter - Mark Webber (1:30.399)
Winner - Fernando Alonso (Intermediate - Soft - Soft - Soft)

2013 pole lap - Lewis Hamilton (1:29.607)
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ANOL1gMtjw[/youtube]
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

Kingshark

Re: 2014 British GP - Silverstone

As the two hardest tyres will be in use this weekend, I expect Mercedes to have another Bahrain or Barcelona-style advantage over the rest of the field.

raymondu999

Why Bahrain an Barcelona? I was actually thinking that considering the number of corners in Silverstone - and especially "new" corners - T1, 2 and 5 for example are now no longer flat out - that could really play to Red Bull's hand. If Red Bull really do have superior downforce as some people say they do, they could have a shot at pole or the win. Even more so if wet.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

Mandrake

I do not believe we will see a red bull pole in near future. The Renault engine is just not up to the game

SpecialCircumstances

Yep, Red Bull may be up for a good result but however good the car is, it is not enough to overcome their power deficit. especially when it comes to Mercedes which is also a good car.

And even if there would be a small chance for a win, they won't come anywhere near a pole this season.

godlameroso

This may be a very aero heavy track, but engine power is very important as well. After turns 4, 7, 14, and 17, it's all about putting down the power. The only saving grace for other teams is that Silverstone has relatively easy braking zones, there's no tricky low speed braking aside from turn 3 and club corner(17). After that, it's not so much about breaking as it is about finding the proper entry angle.

It is merry ol' England so I expect unexpected rain showers all weekend.
Saishū kōnā

WaikeCU

Corners 3-4 en 6-7 are the places where the time will be won or lost. This season with even less downforce, cars will be going wide in 7 more often as we seen a lot in the past.

SectorOne

raymondu999 wrote:If Red Bull really do have superior downforce as some people say they do, they could have a shot at pole or the win. Even more so if wet.
I think they possibly had an edge in the beginning of the season but it does seem the Merc is just as quick in the fast stuff.
Any corners RB takes flat and Merc has to lift is probably because Mercedes arrives at the corner much faster.

I think Red Bull will have to keep their eyes open for Alonso and Ferrari in general.
"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

prince

SectorOne wrote:
raymondu999 wrote:If Red Bull really do have superior downforce as some people say they do, they could have a shot at pole or the win. Even more so if wet.
I think they possibly had an edge in the beginning of the season but it does seem the Merc is just as quick in the fast stuff.
Any corners RB takes flat and Merc has to lift is probably because Mercedes arrives at the corner much faster.

I think Red Bull will have to keep their eyes open for Alonso and Ferrari in general.
Although Canada was not representative of downforce levels, it was still a good situation where Nico was doing similar sector times to Dan, other than straights due to lack of MGU-K. And that too with a lot of forward biased braking, which was compromising corner entry. That tells some story.

SiLo

Yeah I think this might be a real Mercedes stomping ground. Good chassis, great engine and two drivers that seemingly go well here. I reckon Williams will again be up there though behind the mercs and racing Alonso.

Hamilton for pole? He destroyed Rosberg in qualifying last year and is due to at least NOT have any bad luck by now right?

I can see a very tight race though between the two Mercs. Ric to beat Vettel yet again as well.
Felipe Baby!

SamH123

I reckon Force India will fall back a bit, downforce definitely isn't their strength.

Williams a bit too. RB will comfortably be 2nd best if it rains, maybe Ferrari could get 3rd if Alonso is perfect.
Also Lotus could have a good shot of points, Grosjean's pace at Barcelona might finally appear again

smr
smr

One things for sure, we're having absolutely lovely weather over here in England (I live an hour drive away from Silverstone)... really nice, sunny, warm circa 25 degrees celcius. It's been like this for a week or so. What that usually means is that two weekends away from now it's likely to be very unsettled weather, probably a lot cooler and more than likely rain - I wonder if we're going to see our first properly wet race?

Last year we hardly had one wet race - infact I think the Brazilian GP was about the only wet Sunday of the whole season!

raymondu999

godlameroso wrote:This may be a very aero heavy track, but engine power is very important as well. After turns 4, 7, 14, and 17, it's all about putting down the power. The only saving grace for other teams is that Silverstone has relatively easy braking zones, there's no tricky low speed braking aside from turn 3 and club corner(17). After that, it's not so much about breaking as it is about finding the proper entry angle.

It is merry ol' England so I expect unexpected rain showers all weekend.
I'm quite sure you're mistaken and you mean turns 5, 8 and 18 ;) - the teams are fairly confident that turn 5, 8 and 18 will no longer be flat out anymore. They will become "corners" and no longer "kinks"
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

mikeerfol

smr wrote:One things for sure, we're having absolutely lovely weather over here in England (I live an hour drive away from Silverstone)... really nice, sunny, warm circa 25 degrees celcius. It's been like this for a week or so. What that usually means is that two weekends away from now it's likely to be very unsettled weather, probably a lot cooler and more than likely rain - I wonder if we're going to see our first properly wet race?

Last year we hardly had one wet race - infact I think the Brazilian GP was about the only wet Sunday of the whole season!
Actually there were a few laps on inters at the Malaysian race last year but yeah the last proper wet race was Brazil in 2012 so I hope we see some rain in Silverstone's race.
Last edited by mikeerfol on 24 Jun 2014, 17:05, edited 1 time in total.

gray41

Another Mercedes 1-2 with RedBull challenging with the two Williams for 3rd.
Lewis Hamilton #44
Poles: *****
Wins: ***