2014 Hungarian Grand Prix - Hungaroring

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.

Post Sun Jul 20, 2014 11:32 pm

Image

2013 Pole Lap


1:19.398

2014 tyre selection
Prime = Medium
Option = Soft

One of the most boring races of the year, with only one real overtaking zone. This year's lack of downforce will push down lap times to make it even more boring. I'm guessing pole will be in the 1:23 range. It is very hot there during this time of year, and the key to a fast lap time is high amounts of mid speed downforce to keep the highest amount of momentum through the second sector. Sector 1 is all about engine power, and sector three is characterized by slow never ending turns.

Weather forcasts are claiming a 38C temperature for the weekend which is the hottest of the year so far. I don't think it will rain, although I'm kind of hoping it does for the race.

Hamilton is massive around here, if nothing catastrophic happens he'll walk away with this one. This may be Red Bull's best chance to have a good result, although the Ferrari is slowly getting better. I don't think the Williams will do as well here as it has in the last two tracks because mid speed downforce is so important.
The height of cultivation is really nothing special. It is merely simplicity; the ability to express the utmost with the minimum. Mr.Lee
godlameroso
 
Joined: 16 Jan 2010
Location: Miami FL

Post Sun Jul 20, 2014 11:39 pm

Hamilton is massive around here, if nothing catastrophic happens he'll walk away with this one.

Then again, many said the same thing about Canada, and Nico took pole there.
Life is about passions, thanks for sharing mine - Michael Schumacher
Kingshark
 
Joined: 26 May 2014

Post Mon Jul 21, 2014 12:24 am

Kingshark wrote:
Hamilton is massive around here, if nothing catastrophic happens he'll walk away with this one.

Then again, many said the same thing about Canada, and Nico took pole there.


Then again, this is another race. We will see.
OK Lewis, if you let Nico past this lap, please. Let Nico past on the main start/finish straight. - I’m not slowing down for Nico. If he can get close and overtake, then he can overtake.
MercedesAMGSpy
 
Joined: 18 Apr 2014

Post Mon Jul 21, 2014 12:55 am

Surely RB will beat Williams this time

Williams were very bad at Monaco although maybe they have improved a little since then.
SamH123
 
Joined: 12 May 2012

Post Mon Jul 21, 2014 6:05 am

I wonder if the focus on cornering here will even put RB in the contention for the win. Not that hard on brakes to give them the chance they had in Canada though.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法
raymondu999
 
Joined: 4 Feb 2010

Post Mon Jul 21, 2014 6:50 am

raymondu999 wrote:I wonder if the focus on cornering here will even put RB in the contention for the win. Not that hard on brakes to give them the chance they had in Canada though.


After watching some of Vettel's onboard, no i don't think so, the Renault response isn't as good as the Mercedes and they struggle on the exits.

Also even if they, maybe, had the best chassis early on i don't think that still applies.
Sevach
 
Joined: 7 Jun 2012

Post Mon Jul 21, 2014 6:52 am

Not many important exits in Hungary though - traction is only important out of Turn 2 and the last corner.
I'm intrigued. What makes you say Red Bull no longer has the top chassis?
失败者找理由,成功者找方法
raymondu999
 
Joined: 4 Feb 2010

Post Mon Jul 21, 2014 7:32 am

No one mention Canada :lol: am still getting over that, the race where Hamilton was supposed to destroy Rosberg. So we don't know what's going to happen here. But Hamilton really needs a pole and win just as a confidence boost. He hasn't beaten Rosberg while both finished since Spain. #-o
"Leave it to Lewis Hamilton to ruin Redbull's day" - Martin Brundle

"Ok Lewis, Its Hammertime!!" - Peter Bonnington
SilverArrow10
 
Joined: 10 Mar 2013

Post Mon Jul 21, 2014 7:38 am

raymondu999 wrote:Not many important exits in Hungary though - traction is only important out of Turn 2 and the last corner.
I'm intrigued. What makes you say Red Bull no longer has the top chassis?


Mercedes seem to hit the apexes easier than they do, and of course better exits (not just the heavy accelerations).

I expect Red Bull to be better than the Williams but pose no threat to Mercedes.
Sevach
 
Joined: 7 Jun 2012

Post Mon Jul 21, 2014 7:49 am

I think if there´s one place on earth where Hamilton can switch the momentum to his side it´s in Hungary.

One more win here and he´s got the most wins on this track edging out Schumacher.
However winning the race three years in a row is gonna be tough.
Eternal Return.
SectorOne
 
Joined: 26 May 2013

Post Mon Jul 21, 2014 9:04 am

Sevach wrote:
raymondu999 wrote:Not many important exits in Hungary though - traction is only important out of Turn 2 and the last corner.
I'm intrigued. What makes you say Red Bull no longer has the top chassis?


Mercedes seem to hit the apexes easier than they do, and of course better exits (not just the heavy accelerations).

I expect Red Bull to be better than the Williams but pose no threat to Mercedes.

I beg to differ - I don't think that's necessarily a sign of a better chassis. The Merc since 2011 has always had a stronger turn in than the Red Bull.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法
raymondu999
 
Joined: 4 Feb 2010

Post Mon Jul 21, 2014 10:41 am

Kingshark wrote:
Hamilton is massive around here, if nothing catastrophic happens he'll walk away with this one.

Then again, many said the same thing about Canada, and Nico took pole there.


Then again, many said the opposite thing about China, and Lewis crushed Nico there.
[We can go on an on]

Rules are different, cars are different. So much can happen.
mkay
 
Joined: 21 May 2010

Post Mon Jul 21, 2014 11:00 am

It's probably safer to say that Hamilton won't be slow, he's always been good here, but Rosberg has been on form all year and will likely give him a run for his money.
Felipe Baby!
SiLo
 
Joined: 25 Jul 2010

Post Mon Jul 21, 2014 11:41 am

- Medium and soft, why? As Alonso-Vettel in GB and Germany race showed only different strategies and degradation can give us a bit of racing,
- What will be Hamilton's psychological weapon that backfires?
- Weird track, if Red Bull suck here and are clearly behind Williams they have no excuses. Did you notice how after contract signing Horner stopped his weekly Renault whining routine?
- Q: 1. Ham 2. Rosb - LH can't be awful at qualifying forever, percentages.
iotar__
 
Joined: 28 Sep 2012

Post Mon Jul 21, 2014 12:03 pm

raymondu999 wrote:
Sevach wrote:
raymondu999 wrote:Not many important exits in Hungary though - traction is only important out of Turn 2 and the last corner.
I'm intrigued. What makes you say Red Bull no longer has the top chassis?


Mercedes seem to hit the apexes easier than they do, and of course better exits (not just the heavy accelerations).

I expect Red Bull to be better than the Williams but pose no threat to Mercedes.

I beg to differ - I don't think that's necessarily a sign of a better chassis. The Merc since 2011 has always had a stronger turn in than the Red Bull.


Maybe, but what they gained on entry they lost on the exit back then, now they smoke RBR on exits.

Early on Red Bull had a very good front end, seeing them go through the stadium last weekend they had a lot more understeer than the Mercedes.

And compared to the Merc the Renault engine looks like it has old school turbo lag.
Sevach
 
Joined: 7 Jun 2012

Next

Return to Formula One races

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests