Renault Sport F1 R.S.17

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
everythingisawesome
everythingisawesome

Re: Renault Sport F1 R.S.17

aral wrote:The Renault rear wing support has been deemed as illegal and they have to alter if before Melbourne. Apparently it is too far forward and does not meet the mainplane as required.
'Article 3.9.6 of F1's technical regulations states that the support must be extended until it meets the area of the regulations that is related to the area of the rear wing main plane as defined in article 3.9.1. '

It's a technicality - Renault bolted the pylon to the drs mechanism, which is then attached to the mainplane.
The regs imply that the pylon should attach directly to the mainplane, but are not specific - they found a loophole.

aral
aral

everythingisawesome wrote:
aral wrote:The Renault rear wing support has been deemed as illegal and they have to alter if before Melbourne. Apparently it is too far forward and does not meet the mainplane as required.
'Article 3.9.6 of F1's technical regulations states that the support must be extended until it meets the area of the regulations that is related to the area of the rear wing main plane as defined in article 3.9.1. '

It's a technicality - Renault bolted the pylon to the drs mechanism, which is then attached to the mainplane.
The regs imply that the pylon should attach directly to the mainplane, but are not specific - they found a loophole.
As stated, the FIA have said that it is illegal, so it sure aint a loophole.

zioture
zioture

everythingisawesome
everythingisawesome

aral wrote:
everythingisawesome wrote:

As stated, the FIA have said that it is illegal, so it sure aint a loophole.

I think you need to give the engineers a little more credit, they wouldn't intentionally do something illegal if the rules did not allow them to. They read the rules you know.... :D
Certain teams complained, so the FIA cleared up the 'loophole', this happens a lot.

PhillipM
PhillipM

Yes, it was down to ambiguous wording in the regulation, not the engineers fault.

Morteza

Via AMuS
"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

Blackout

Enstone wrote:New wheel nuts and new brake duct for today
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C5wRg_QWQAItzi_.jpg:large
To sum up the changes since day1

https://twitter.com/Albrodpul

Blackout

estormell wrote:Hello all, first post here :mrgreen:
I wanted to share a rear view comparison with the Mercedes. The picture is scaled so that 1 pixel == 2 mm.

For me the most obvious difference is the rake: I measured a rear ride height of roughly 96mm for the Renault and 58mm for the Mercedes (as pictured, it may differ from static setup).

http://oi63.tinypic.com/2vts585.jpg

(originals from F1fanatic)
And I wonder why the exhaust pipes going through the gearbox casing/bell housing, arent visible on any of the pics that show the back of the RS.17. They were visible in the older cars...
2015-2016 Gbox with the exhaust opening:

Blackout

bhall II
bhall II

This car sounds ferocious...

Enstone
Enstone

bhall II wrote:This car sounds ferocious...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rTj2fJ1Q7J8
Yup ! i love this sound, way much better than last year... even if it's remain an hybrid V6 !

Vladimir
Vladimir

Great looking new rear wing,seems that working well.I also notice that R.S.17 sound a bit diferent. Good potential, will inprove a lot next week.

F1Krof

Vladimir wrote:Great looking new rear wing,seems that working well.I also notice that R.S.17 sound a bit diferent. Good potential, will inprove a lot next week.
Yes, sounds like a P-51D propeller WWII plane. Finally we're getting something positive out of the sound.
Wroom wroom

Enstone
Enstone

Seems like Renault has some agressive ideas about the rear wing/DRS system, sounds promising !

Let's sum up @blackout so far :

-New rear wing
-Some aero changes : bargeboards/aero stuff around the mirrors slighty differents
-New wheelnuts/brake ducts

But still no T-wing (thanks god :mrgreen: ), monkey seat or "sharklets" under the mirrors area (like hass, ferarri etc...) and aero stuff under the nose for the Vortex Y250, maybe next week then ?! really excited and impatient to see what's going on next !

Vanja #66

Enstone wrote:Seems like Renault has some agressive ideas about the rear wing/DRS system, sounds promising !

Let's sum up @blackout so far :

-New rear wing
If you are thinking about the one with a big DRS flap, it's illegal, above the height limit. :) I haven't seen other new rear wings, but I could have missed it!
And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#Aerogimli
#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie