10000 rpm only!?!?!

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
tomislavp4

10000 rpm only!?!?!

It´s ok to use 2,2l v6 engines, It´s ok to use biofuel but the 10000rpm limit is ridiculous :evil:

scarbs

If they still pump out 700bhp who cares about rev limits.....

think of the options with a boost button...!

tomislavp4

The sound and the feel won´t be the same, it will feel like road legal car...

I like everything else they have planned, but definitly not the limit :x

scarbs

perhaps you dont recall the days when 1.5 litre turbos were around. It didnt seem to so bad then.
As long as the FIA allow in-season development and no homologation I'm for it.

Carbon

Is F1 moving closer and closer to a spec series? Please no. We've got Champ Car if we want to watch the same cars with the same engines.

Steve Wilson

I'm sure many people will agree that the noise of an F1 car adds so much to the spectacle of watching the racing (especially when watching them at the track). The 10000rpm limit will make them quieter and will for sure change the sound of them quite significantly...

Development, if allowed will be somewhat stumped with having to use the same engine for 5 races.

modbaraban

I begin to hate Max who sounds like F1 is of no use unless it helps developing production cars :evil:

C'mon it's a sport that WE are so pationate about, dammit!

I don't wanna see more overtaking for **** sake. I can watch A1 for that or any other series. Who cares about overtaking if it's so simple to do :roll: I care about fair competition (technical too) a little restricted by simple regulations that don't change each season.

sorry for that... :roll: I'm just too astonished by the news... Now I'll go and cry a bit.... :cry: and then eat something =P~

:|

whiplash

That Idiot has lost the plot he should leave well alone and leave the running of F1 to a sane person

Giblet

When V8s's were coming down the pipes, we were all up in arms, but the cars to most people have lost little value, because the sound while choppier, is still extreme due to the high revs.

A move to a quiet engine will be pretty pointless as of course now the pressures are going to become extreme again.

rrrrrrrrrr*PASH*rrrrrrrrrrrrrrr*PASH*rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr...........

If slicks come back to handle the monster tourque these engines will produce, they will still be an incredible driving experience, but Max forgets this is still a spectator sport first, a constructors arena second, and a manufacturers arena third.

If things change drastically in the middle east by 2011, which I'm sure somewhow they will, petrol prices will either shoot to the moon or return to earth. Biofuels are only currently viable because petrol prices are so high.

F1 did turbo motors years ago. Lets let them get started on the 20kg energy reclaiming system.

modbaraban

Hey but they could as well move F1 to Biofuels in 2006 already. it's no rocket science... :roll:

siskue2005

OH thats really bad :?

And an engine should last 5 GPS ....WT........?????????
That would ruin every thing.....it will sooooo bad than now
Every car will be going slow, just to save their engines for next 5 GPs :shock: [/b]

checkered

I feel they're jumping

the gun with these proposals. Isn't this supposed to be the time when people should still be innovating about the stuff the future holds? If F1 can't innovate it can't be relevant, period. The first order of things, sustainability and (tautology be damned) innovation in mind, is to restrict the amount of energy available for a race. Everything else, as far as I can tell, will follow naturally from that.

johny

that was what we thought with 1 engine per gp rule and after with 1 engine per 2 gp so trust in engeneers

m3_lover

I believe Max is throwing out these proposals to see what people like and what people do not like. I do concede a point that there has to be some commercial revelance in that the technology in F1 should be passed on to road going cars. I don't see how mini winglets and chimneys should be in F1 since they wouldn't serve a purpose in road going cars because they do not reach speeds that F1 cars do. I subscribe to the theory that there has to be some type connection between F1 and Manufacturers. F1 is all about Change and this further illustrates the point that F1 will have to change to meet public expectation and the future. And by the this is all IMO
Simon: Nils? You can close in now. Nils?
John McClane: [on the guard's phone] Attention! Attention! Nils is dead! I repeat, Nils is dead, ----head. So's his pal, and those four guys from the East German All-Stars, your boys at the bank? They're gonna be a little late.
Simon: [on the phone] John... in the back of the truck you're driving, there's $13 billon dollars worth in gold bullion. I wonder would a deal be out of the question?
John McClane: [on the phone] Yeah, I got a deal for you. Come out from that rock you're hiding under, and I'll drive this truck up your ass.

checkered

I believe Max is throwing out these proposals to see what people like and what people do not like.
In that case, let me cast my vote already. I'll divide the main proposals in three categories:

1. Why?
- 2.2-litre V6 turbocharged engines, running on biodiesel fuels
- For aforementioned reasons. Just limit the amount of J available per race and let people innovate.

2. Why not?
- traction-control, four-wheel-drive
- As long as there's room for the driver to make mistakes

3. No F'ing way
- power-boost buttons and identical bodywork
- Power boost is disingenuous, not relevant etc.
- CFD will evolve drastically for decades to come. It will benefit businesses whose scope is far wider than mere car manufacturing. How'bout bringing them in and not shutting them out? Besides, NASCAR has already been invented.