4 cylinders?

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
Jagboy
Jagboy

4 cylinders?

No, please, no. Not in 2011, not ever. I'm still in love with the V10. Any thoughts? No limit turbo could be amazing and I'm confident that the brilliant engineers in F1 would find a way to make it perform, but the best cars on earth shouldn't be four-bangers.

JB

West
West

The best engines in the world should be light, powerful, and efficient. If a turbo four can do that, why the hell not?
Bring back wider rear wings, V10s, and tobacco advertisements

manchild
manchild

Most powerful F1 engine ever was 4 cyl. in-line 1.5 L and no one complained back than so why complain now?

http://www.gurneyflap.com/bmwturbof1engine.html

Ciro Pabón

Instead of "pinnacle of motorsport" we could use the motto "We shouldn't be what we are... and we love it!!!"
Ciro

Tom

You have a point Jagboy, a mini cooper, triumph of marketing, a 4 cylinder, my Citroen ZX, triumph for anti-cone folk and old woman going to pick up their shopping, 4 cylinder, Shelby Cobra Daytona, Le Mans triumph in 1965, Ford V8. See the pattern?

Anyone can get a nice little 4 cylinder car, hell rally cars are usually 4 cylinder and we all know those boys are nancies (ok, bad example, rallying is awesome) but to have an engine twice that size and in a completely different formation which provides more power, only very special cars have those, we all know F1 cars are very special right?
Murphy's 9th Law of Technology:
Tell a man there are 300 million stars in the universe and he'll believe you. Tell him a bench has wet paint on it and he'll have to touch to be sure.

Ogami musashi
Ogami musashi

The goals aimed by FIA by 2011 both on aeros and engine are quite high, i don't have a clue on engines but i bet thoses engines will be far from the production ones.

By the way if you read to Engine framework PDF you'll see FIA plans to free a lot on engine regulations and limit performance only by fuel flow.

They even stated the engine will not have to be constrained by aero requirements.

Also note that turbo is not required, teams can use different type of engines.(no RPM limit)
I think both aero and engines regulations are quite different from the Max-no-future version we had a glimpse for.

Of course to be taken with caution but i have the feeling this is more positive than many regulations so far.

They also plane to have an upgrade of 3% of tyre grip performance (tyres alone), that's quite good.

Actually you should read the Pdfs they are informative.

joseff

Ogami musashi wrote:By the way if you read to Engine framework PDF you'll see FIA plans to free a lot on engine regulations and limit performance only by fuel flow.
Bring on the Wankels! No seriously, listen to this!

This year's Ducati is a very good example of what you can do in a fuel-limited engine formula: http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/58578
And the 16kRPM V4 sounds darned good if you ask me.

bhall
bhall

According to an article at grandprix.com, the engines "will probably only be producing around 400 horsepower."

That doesn't seem right to me, nor does the "push-to-pass" feature.

Jagboy
Jagboy

I think some of you mistook me. I think the engines would be fantastic pieces of machinery and engineering. I would love to see them run, but not in F1. I think that there should be no piston regulation at all but if they must, V10 or V12 engines allow F1 cars to keep their sound and aura. Maybe I'm a bit too stubborn.

400HP does seem a bit low.

And Tom, yes, F1 cars are very special :)

JB

tomislavp4

I´m for Wankell too :wink: but that´s not going to happen :(
How can u compare ordinary street V4 with max RPM of 7000 with the F1 intended engine for 2011 with no RPM limit? Both are V4´s, OK but the one revs atleast tvice as much as the other, so I think it is quite special :wink: And, yes manchild has a point there, just look at the BMW engine 8)

pRo

Tom wrote:You have a point Jagboy, a mini cooper, triumph of marketing, a 4 cylinder, my Citroen ZX, triumph for anti-cone folk and old woman going to pick up their shopping, 4 cylinder, Shelby Cobra Daytona, Le Mans triumph in 1965, Ford V8. See the pattern?

Anyone can get a nice little 4 cylinder car, hell rally cars are usually 4 cylinder and we all know those boys are nancies (ok, bad example, rallying is awesome) but to have an engine twice that size and in a completely different formation which provides more power, only very special cars have those, we all know F1 cars are very special right?
Did you know that one of the fastest supercars in the world is a 4 cylinder? ;)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ariel_Atom

It's not ALL about the number of cylinders. F1 cars, or the Atom, doesn't weight as much as your ZX. ;) Everyone can also buy a V8 car these days, it's not like they are all sporty or fast or even expensive.
Formula 1, 57, died Thursday, Sept. 13, 2007
Born May 13, 1950, in Silverstone, United Kingdom
Will be held in the hearts of millions forever
Rest In Peace, we will not forget you

C/\D

I remember a conferance about engine volumes from VW. I am not sure but i remember they were planning 1.6 TSI with 550 HP. They may use it for TT or r series from audi. If the charging is not limited, they can produce more power than this in F1 i tihnk. Am i right?
Vodafone McLaren Mercedes

johny

in the 80s with 1.5l V4 turbocharged engines were the most powerfull ones. But that's not the point with those proposals, the main goal is making f1 cars more efficient with some good looking rules and advance technology

Ogami musashi
Ogami musashi

The planned engine power in F1 is 400HP without the extrapower by regenerative systems that will be aviable not only for push to pass.

in addition the drag is to be reduced by 50% wich is just huge, so you don't need as much horsepower as now.

The maza sound is just gorgeous!

enkidu
enkidu

400 BHP?? LOL There's no way they will be that low!! My Vauxhall Astra Z20LET engine produces 290BHP on stock internals!!

They will be a hell of a lot higher than 400 lol Remembering these engines will run massive massive boost and will rev to the end of the earth.

I'm quite looking forward to it, finally technology that WILL be used in road cars again!! Come on its so rare unless your rich to have an engine in your motor over 2.0L 4 pot....