Thank you David!

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Principessa

Thank you David!

Thank you David Coulthard for all the fine moments in racing you've given us! I wish you all the best for the last races and for the rest of your career!

A great racer who will be missed!

roost89

Re: Thank you David!

Principessa wrote:Thank you David Coulthard for all the fine moments in racing you've given us! I wish you all the best for the last races and for the rest of your career!

A great racer who will be missed!
Very well said :)

At least he'll still be developing the cars in some form. Good work so far with RBR
"It could be done manually. It would take quite a while, but it could be done. There is however a much more efficient and accurate way of getting the data. Men with lasers." Wing Commander Andy Green

Scotracer

As a Scot, it's a sad day for me, because, even as much as I disliked him during the Shumacher/Hakkinen/Coulthard days, he was the sole Scotsman on the grid and it brought me a lot of pride to see someone from such a small country do so well.

He will be sorely missed -- but we need another Scot on the grid!!!
Powertrain Cooling Engineer

CMSMJ1

I agree - DC was never the outright fastest driver out there over one lap but he was excellent in a race.

I will miss him. F1 needs more people like him.

Hope he had a great retirement...and it would be great to see him on the BBC commentating!
IMPERATOR REX ANGLORUM

Belatti

I want to say thanks to David, too!

He was the first "poleman" I have ever seen "live and direct" in the Argentine 1995 GP. I even felt embarrased when our former president "Menem" gave him a trophy after obtaining that Pole Position.
I used to like him more than Hill in Williams but less than Hakkinen in McLaren. He won the first race for McLaren after almost 4 years there and broke the negative spell after left Senna. I rate him in the same driver category as Berger, Barrichello, Patrese, Alboreto and others: several wins, many many F1 races, good teammate, not WDC material.

I won´t miss his present driving as I think it´s time to say goodbye (Rubens, hello!) but hope he continues with his typical humorous comments!
"You need great passion, because everything you do with great pleasure, you do well." -Juan Manuel Fangio

"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication and competence." -Ayrton Senna

ben_watkins

Gonna miss him swearing in interviews on live telly!

Well played DC.. hope you enjoy yourself in the years to come..

=D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D>
BWP
Tripos Media Partners
#TriposMediaPartners

Scuderia_Russ

I think it's the right time to go but ultimately I will be sorry to see him go. He's a nice guy and very professional. A good ambassador for the sport.
"Whether you think you can or can't, either way you are right."
-Henry Ford-

donskar

I am not a fan of his, but DC had a career to be proud of and left before he outstayed his welcome. Very few drivers have done as well.

Now, what shuffling will this cause for next year?
Enzo Ferrari was a great man. But he was not a good man. -- Phil Hill

ESPImperium

The only driver ive stuck with thru F1 since i started watching in about 1992 as a 8 year old, then Senna had his accedent in 1994, and then i started following David. I always will have a soft spot for all of the teams he has driven for, Williams, McLaren and Red Bull.

He was one brilliant racer, giving wins to Mika and who was his team mate, when they needed it to try and win the drivers title. David should have won it, but because he was the best team player, he gifted wins to others. Ofcourse he also had a few near misses as well.

Another Scottish driver on the grid may happen next year i think, with maybes Dario and his recent NASCAR situation. Dario to Honda with Danica, with Jenson getting the boot there and Rubhino retireing at the Brazillian GP as well, but doing what Schumi does at Ferarri and what David will do at Red Bull and being a "Special Consultant" test triver at tests at Honda may be on the cards.

Jenson i think will eventually make his way to either Toyota or Renault i think.

Principessa

ben_watkins wrote:Gonna miss him swearing in interviews on live telly!
I believe that he will be giving plenty of interviews during Grand Prix weekends as he will be seen in the paddock quite often in my opinion. F1 is in his blood and it will be hard for him to let go.

waynes

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IVGBCY9kJR8

yeah, Coulthard is a class act alright

Spencifer_Murphy

Oh common waynes...he made a mistake. I swear Kimi made a few mistakes at Australia this year? Massa at Silverstone, Schumi at Monaco 2006, Hamilton Canada '08. They all make mistakes.

Also don't feel I'm having a go at you, I'm not, I laughed at your post because I had a feeling I knew what video was comming up, im just smiling thinking "Oh, be fair to the poor guy" lol.

I like DC though, don't always agree with him, but I do like him. He's never been the fastest, but he's a good and capable F1 driver with a quick wit and he ain't afraid to call it like he sees it. He's a character, and once again we find ourselves loosing the Irvine's, Alesi's, Mansell's, Piquet's (Sr.) and Villenurve's of this world. Like any sport we need characters in ours and DC will be missed.

Thankyou for moments like Silverstone '00 DC. (Oh and Adelaide '95 hehe) [that really was just too funnt then, and it still is now]
Silence is golden when you don't know a good answer.

Giblet

Nice waynes. Class act indeed.

Speaking of class, what does slagging a driver in a thread to respect him say about your class?

I think drivers lives may have actually been saved because of DC keeping such a keen eye on safety for the drivers.

We'll never know for sure.

Man... you even googled for a video.
Before I do anything I ask myself “Would an idiot do that?” And if the answer is yes, I do not do that thing. - Dwight Schrute

mx_tifoso

[b]ITV-F1: David Coulthard's latest column[/b] wrote:The timing is convenient in that, all being well, I will be a father at the end of this year. But that wasn’t the deciding factor because plenty of drivers have children and continue with their careers."
:arrow: http://www.f1technical.net/news/9725

Congratulations! Looks like racing hasn't been the only occupation for him lately...

So besides being a 'consultant' for RBR, he will have a new 'bundle of joy" to keep him busy after his retirement from racing. I presume the mother is fiancée Karen Minier.
Forum guide: read before posting

"You do it, then it's done." - Kimi Räikkönen

Por las buenas soy amigo, por las malas soy campeón.

waynes

Giblet wrote: Speaking of class, what does slagging a driver in a thread to respect him say about your class?
nice reply, it was a joke

deal with it
Spencifer_Murphy wrote:Oh common waynes...he made a mistake
oh i know, it amuses me though

to be fair to Coulthard, he's done an awful lot as an F1 driver, and wish him all the best in future