Belgian GP 2008

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
mx_tifoso
mx_tifoso

Belgian GP 2008

One day before the free practices start, but since their is quite a bit to talk about regarding changes to compounds and such, I thought I'd create the thread for it right now.

The compounds for this GP are medium and hard, which were tested at Monza last week. And are considered to favour the McLaren's over the Ferrari's, but only until they start actual running on Friday will we will be informed about the reality of it or not.
Last edited by mx_tifoso on 05 Sep 2008, 21:45, edited 1 time in total.
Forum guide: read before posting

"You do it, then it's done." - Kimi Räikkönen

Por las buenas soy amigo, por las malas soy campeón.

yzfr7
yzfr7

Re: Belgian GP 2008

Not only the hard compounds, but also the low temperatures. The forecast is for a maximum of 18 oC. Kimi was very open in recent races that they prefer warmer temperatures. McLaren seems less vulnerable to track temperature.
pax

WhiteBlue

looking forward to FP tomorrow morning.
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

guy_smiley

aside from the cars actually going around this great track and the awesome shots of them doing it (loved it), i thought last years race was pretty boring. the start--fernando pushing lewis off track--was the only exciting thing. so assuming it will be fairly processional, my one interest is whether kimi will bounce back or not. he keeps saying "there's time, there's time," but if he doesn't get the results in belgium and then italy, you have to assume he'll start backing felipe. he's been complaining about qualifying pace over the past few races, and personally i think the long spa track will help him with that and he should easily challenge for pole (plus he's the spa master). anyway, the first thing he needs to do if he wants to be the back to back champ is start beating his teammate...y'all think he'll do it?
Smiles all 'round!

WhiteBlue

biggest question will be the weather. if we get changing conditions Ferrari get another chance to screw things up. they are good at it now. If it rains Kimi should have the upper hand on Massa who will probably produce several spins. If it stays dry we could be in for another procession. So I pray for rain.

anybody remember Rubens qualifying on pole in Spa? with current format it is not going to be as exciting as it was then but those long laps and a bit of rain should still make qualifying worth watching.
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

WhiteBlue

it is relatively cold. only 16 C track and air temp.

Williams are running back to back tests of the new front wing with both cars.

it is starting to rain and all drivers have more than 10 laps allready.

Kubica has a big problem and is much slower than Heidfeld which is unusual.
Last edited by WhiteBlue on 05 Sep 2008, 11:00, edited 1 time in total.

Tehillim
Tehillim

Last year Ferrari were awesome here, but with the forecast temperatures McLaren might be in contention... then add in the prospect of rain and it's anyone's race! Personally I think Raikkonen's going to deliver one of his trademark Spa drives. [-o<

MattF1
MattF1

Smaller sidepods for McLaren? Can't really tell form just watching online.

WhiteBlue

they have converted many gravel traps to asphalt now. and Hamilton is still finding them.

Alonso is up to speed very quickly, now going to third.

Massa clearly faster than Kimi. The Toro Rossos very fast. Heidfeld faster on hard tyres and Kubica faster over all on the softer tyres.

carvetia
carvetia

I'm betting Jordan for a one-two, got great odds on it.

donskar
donskar

One report said that Kimi slammed into the barrier, breaking the rear wing and dumping a lot of oil.

Question: if such an accident should damage the engine (not likely, but possible) would the team be penalized for changing it?

So far Kimi seems rather ragged. If he does poorly here, I think we'll see another driver in his seat next year.
Enzo Ferrari was a great man. But he was not a good man. -- Phil Hill

mx_tifoso
mx_tifoso

Kimi spun and lost his rear wing when he hit the barriers, I'm surprised the car wasn't that badly damaged. He also mentioned that his car was experiencing 'electrical problems' early in the morning.

'Donskar', engines used on Fridays do not count towards the regulations stating that 'qualy and race' engines must last two consecutive events. So if the engine is damaged there will not be a penalty. Besides, oil could be from the gearbox, and not necessarily from the engine.

eDiT:
Does anyone know the reason for this sidewall design? Thanks in advance. But do you think its testing for next seasons markings for the different compounds? :?
Forum guide: read before posting

"You do it, then it's done." - Kimi Räikkönen

Por las buenas soy amigo, por las malas soy campeón.

ESPImperium
ESPImperium

Im thinking the side wall design will be the only way of knowing what compound they drivers are on for 2009 since we are going back to slicks.

yzfr7
yzfr7

donskar wrote:One report said that Kimi slammed into the barrier, breaking the rear wing and dumping a lot of oil.
The official timing at formula1.com said it was water on the track. It was spread when Kimi hit the tyres, that had water retained in them after the rain.

I thought the tyres had some cuts and holes made so they wouldn't accumulate water.
pax

GTO

It's strange. That tire is not on all cars or on both Hondas. Also I thought the tires are unidirectional. Those markings seem to indicate bi-dirctional. If not... could be accidentally put on other side. Might be Honda wasting money again testing some new bi-directional tire built just for their new suspension. :P