New points system for 2010

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
zgred

New points system for 2010

FIA suggests new points system
gpupdate.net wrote: Formula 1 governing body the FIA has suggested that the top ten finishers should be awarded World Championship points as the field increases in size next season. The proposal would see race winners collect 25 points as opposed to 10 and a margin of 5 between the leading two positions.
(...)

With 13 teams entered (as opposed to 10) for next season, the FIA suggests that the scoring system should be as follows:

1st - 25
2nd - 20
3rd - 15
4th - 10
5th - 8
6th - 6
7th - 5
8th - 3
9th - 2
10th - 1

The FIA Commission will be together for its next meeting on Wednesday 10 March in Bahrain.
I like the idea and I hope it will be accepted. More distance between first 4 and general 10 drivers scoring points. And no more Bernie idea of a Champion.
Last edited by Steven on 31 Dec 2009, 13:26, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Changed topic title

roost89

Re: FIA suggests new points system

I'm not sure what to make of this new system of points. The one thing that's definitely better is that there're more points given to more positions.

I'm not sure how the top 4 places, with 5 points between each, will allow for a tight end of year finalé.
"It could be done manually. It would take quite a while, but it could be done. There is however a much more efficient and accurate way of getting the data. Men with lasers." Wing Commander Andy Green

sticky667

it's hard to imagine but i agree it's necessary with the induction of 3 more teams.

hopefully we don't have a championship secured by August.

ISLAMATRON

Totally absurd, why is the difference between 8th & 7th bigger than between 7th & 6th? And why is the differnce between 3rd & 4th the same as the difference between 1st & 2nd.

another totally arbitrary points system, with no basis in mathematics, that does not give enough empphasis on WINNING! What F1 is all about.

timbo

ISLAMATRON wrote:Totally absurd, why is the difference between 8th & 7th bigger than between 7th & 6th? And why is the differnce between 3rd & 4th the same as the difference between 1st & 2nd.

another totally arbitrary points system, with no basis in mathematics, that does not give enough empphasis on WINNING! What F1 is all about.
What's wrong with it? It was proposed by FIA, not FOTA.

xpensive

What do we have here, please educate me? On the one hand MrE's winnner-takes-all medal system, now some Nascar "Everyone-get-a-point" thing?
"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"

ISLAMATRON

timbo wrote:What's wrong with it? It was proposed by FIA, not FOTA.
Regardless who proposed it, it is bad... and I have already explained why.

timbo

ISLAMATRON wrote:
Regardless who proposed it, it is bad...
Can't be))) You don't like Jean very much, aren't you?)

Well, yeah, double gap seems strange.
I'd go with 20,15,12(or 11),9,7,6,5,4,3,2,1

Fil

I have to admit i don't like Todt much either, but credit where its due, he's beginning to show a breathe of fresh air & making things happen already. I hope this continues.
roost89 wrote:I'm not sure how the top 4 places, with 5 points between each, will allow for a tight end of year finalé.
Well anyone within 25 points of the championship leader at Brazil, will be a championship contender. sounds thrilling to me!

I'm sure we can all agree, this is an improvement on the current system, despite some flaws.
5pts difference is better than 2.
More teams scoring points brings more excitement further down the field & provides a tangible incentive for a top 10 finish.
Any post(s) made by this user are (semi-)educated opinion(s), based on random fact(s) blurred by the smudges of time.
Any fact(s) claimed by this user will be supplemented by a link to the original source of said fact(s).

thestig84

[quote="Fil"
Well anyone within 25 points of the championship leader at Brazil, will be a championship contender. sounds thrilling to me!
[/quote]

That wont be the case. They have looked at the last few years to make sure it wont change the outcome. The 'Points as % of a race win' are very similar so last year Rubens would have been 40 odd points behind Button. Remember 25 points wont be a large amount with this system so not many people will be within 25 points!

With the same outcome all we would gain is more difficult maths! Fail for me...give the winner more reward, simple!

ISLAMATRON

timbo wrote:
ISLAMATRON wrote:
Regardless who proposed it, it is bad...
Can't be))) You don't like Jean very much, aren't you?)

Well, yeah, double gap seems strange.
I'd go with 20,15,12(or 11),9,7,6,5,4,3,2,1
Who cares about Jean, or Max, or FIA or FOTA.. these points are simply numbers... who cares what proposed which... The points system should be a good representative of who did what over the course of the season and award the most deserving driver & constructor with the championship... in my eyes that should be the driver and Constructors with the most wins.. because thats what F1 is about Winning.

And the numbers the FIA proposed here are stupid.

Ciro Pabón

Well, we have come to that happy time of the year when the brain of our typical Formula One poster reaches the stage we like to call "The Scoring System Total Blank Out".

There are times when a moderator must toot his own horn, and for me, the time has come. I have a new theory, that I first proposed in 1965, a theory that explains perfectly why Formula One Fans have to argue endlessly about the scoring system and come to this sorry state.

The problem is that Formula One fans suffer from an hideous genetic flaw, a special weakness -- The Formula One Genetic Scoring Blindness (FONGSB) -- This puts Formula One fans at a huge disadvantage when compared to regular persons.

Regular persons can, for example, floss their teeth, eat and have a perfectly normal sex life, while we, impaired by FONGSB cannot: we have to devote around seventeen months of each season to argue about the scoring system.

Bernie Ecclestone has proposed a simpler scoring system: he calls it, when among friends, the "He won" system. It's utterly complicated and borderly stupid. You know, the guy that wins more times, well... wins.

This absurd proposal has moved the soul of fans to levels never experienced before. Many of them have been seen outside Bernie's house, some holding their forks and torchs, some others waving their calculators and chanting in a friendly way: "We will take your bowels out and make festoons with them".

Mr. Ecclestone wise as he is, has refused to go out of his house for the last year, but who could blame him? Some people claims to actually have seen him at races, but, no, it's a robot he has sent to several venues, made by Honda, that appears to be Mr. Ecclestone but in reality is a small (very small) home appliance developed for that purpose. That's how absurd the proposal is.

However, I digress. Let's go back to FONGSB. Every year since I started to moderate this forum (when the number of posts were written in roman numerals and Tomba was a three years old baby, already proficient in Java) we reach the happy season of meddling with the scoring system. Is this time of the year: as soon as I see the Christmas tree in the living room, every time I see the Christmas candles alight and my kids in flames running happily around the yard, I know we have reached the merriest point of the year: the Scoring System Yule.

FIA, that is, the "Fedegation Integnationale du les Agsholes", a french name that means International Federation of the Anual Scoring System, proposes every year a new scoring system, that in the words of Ron Dennis and Luca Montezzezzzmolo, their vitalicious presidents and friendly dictators, "will be fairer, giving the championship to Lewis 'The Blacko Arrowo' Hamilton without any doubt" ('Blacko Arrowo' is a nickname that spanish fans have chosen for their most beloved driver, which is translated in French as "That Agshole").

I know that as soon as the teams start to actually build the cars they will race, all the fans will stop their vigil at Bernie's house and they will run hurriedly toward their computers to start arguing endlessly about the tiniest wing and detail that FIA has painfully regulated in a 620 inches thick, 3028 pounds volume we call affectionately "The Short Version or Racing Regulations".

So, I feel perfectly tranquil, completely sure that during this season the discusion about the scoring system will not extend beyond December 2010.

Considering that, and knowing perfectly that nobody read my posts (I've considered to write them in Serbo-Croat, nobody will notice), I propose here a NEW, FAIRER scoring system that all fans will immediately adopt as their own. I took it from "Phineas and Ferb" a program that my daughter claims is her favorite for reasons unknown.

1st Place: The number Pi
2nd Place: The figure of a duck
3rd Place: A Wii
4th Place: A paper form for competing in American Idol

From the Fifth place up to the last place (that is Sixth place: we all know that in Formula One there was only one race when more than 5 cars ended intact, and that was the 2005 US GP) I propose to arrange a piñata with the leftovers found after the race at McLaren race party table.

Then, for the sake of the spectacle, we could have everybody under the 4th position to stage a fight for them, right under the podium. You all know what a piñata is: that funny latino thing in the shape of a burro (spanish for burro) that brown kids whack with a baseball in movies, normally hitting Alan Sanders's bollocks.

As you can see, the difference between 3rd place and 28th place is exactly the same.

Now, pass the floss, my girlfriend is waiting me, and no, thanks, you don't have to start posting smart remarks about how to travel to Colombia, because you like what we're smoking down here...
Ciro

WhiteBlue

As always I cannot care less for whatever points they award. It is the same for everyone. The only thing that bothers me is that all previous points results will not be easily comparable. This is why I would prefer them to stick to what they have instead of endless meddling.
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

deus1066

Apparently the rationale for the top points, 25, 20 and 15 was to keep the same distance between the positions proportionally compared to the current 10, 8, 6 system e.g 1st is 20% more than 2nd:

"Although Bernie Ecclestone and others have argued that there needs to be a greater reward for winning in F1, the revised points system maintains the existing relative differential between the top three finishers (25-20-15 being equivalent to 10-8-6), while increasing the gap between third and the non-podium places."

Source: http://www.itv-f1.com/News_Article.aspx?id=47532

I agree its annoying that points totals will no longer relate to history... but with an ever increasing number of races, this was hard to do anyway.

Richard

Hold your horses - it is within a whisker of the current point system:

New = 91 points in total
Old = 39 points in total

Pos - New% - Old %
1st - 26% - 26%
2nd - 21% - 21%
3rd - 16% - 15%
4th - 11% - 13%
5th - 8% - 10%
6th - 6% - 8%
7th - 5% - 5%
8th - 3% - 3%
9th - 2% - 0%
10th - 1% - 0%

The advantage is that it does give the lower teams a chance of establishing some sort of pecking order. How else is Fernandes going to know if he has to retire and kill himself???

Henceforth this should be known as the Fernandes suicide points system