Flexible wings controversy 2010

Here are our CFD links and discussions about aerodynamics, suspension, driver safety and tyres. Please stick to F1 on this forum.
Lorenzo_Bandini

Re: Ferrari F10

Red Bull and Ferrari have a front wing mobile, at the end of this race they will be invite by the fia

ecapox

Lorenzo_Bandini wrote:Red Bull and Ferrari have a front wing mobile, at the end of this race they will be invite by the fia
Uh oh. Crap. Autosport.com. dammit.

Ninja Edit:

So like the AUtosport article says, the cars have passed scrutineering at the previosu races. Clearly the FIA cant penalize either team if they passed the tests. All they can realy do is alter the tests so that the cars with this front wing behavior fail. It should not affect prior race results.

Either way, like Autosport says, a picture is not an effective way to prove something. There are many variables as to why the wing might be lower in the pictures. If the teams were serious about this, they would just file a formal protest. Not wave around pictures and say "look what i found"...

EDIT.
Sorry for adding to the garbage in this thread. It got out of hand and i got out of hand.

fausto cedros

Flexible wings controversy 2010

Does anyone know any new rumours coming from Germany about it?
"Adding power makes you faster on the straights. Subtracting weight makes you faster everywhere" Anthony Bruce Colin Chapman

Ganxxta

Re: Flexible wings controversy

http://www.motorsport-magazin.com/forme ... estet.html

FIA tested them,nothing illegal.
But they can improve their testing standards to make them illegal.

fausto cedros

I am not that good at German.
I uunderstood that the current test stress only the extremes of the wing and not the central part, isn't it?
"Adding power makes you faster on the straights. Subtracting weight makes you faster everywhere" Anthony Bruce Colin Chapman

marcush.

not much to understand there:
FIA has tested both Ferrari and RB wings according to current regulation tests and found no infringement.
It was mooted though that FIA might change their methods of checking legality .

autosport also reported on the issue,but a bit more detailed..

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/85563

enkidu

Has anyone got any pictures of Ferrari's flexi wing before and after shots?

horse

McLaren seem to be looking to copy the idea:

McLaren looking to copy rival front wing

Question is, what are they going to try and copy? The angle photographs of their car are taken at?
"Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words." - Chuang Tzu

doopie2you

horse wrote:McLaren seem to be looking to copy the idea:

McLaren looking to copy rival front wing

Question is, what are they going to try and copy? The angle photographs of their car are taken at?
That angle talk is not true, duh. You think Ferrari gonna say: yes our wings are flexible we like to ignore the rules and do everything to win! Of course not, that is just a excuse so the FIA will approve the wing, McLaren wouldn't say they will copy something if there is nothing different about the Ferrari and Red Bull wing.
What does IDK means?? (someone) i dont know (other dude) OMG no one knows

marcush.

3.17 Bodywork flexibility :
3.17.1 Bodywork may deflect no more than 10mm vertically when a 500N load is applied vertically to it 800mm forward of the front wheel centre line and 795mm from the car centre line. The load will be applied in a downward direction using a 50mm diameter ram and an adapter 300mm long and 150mm wide. Teams must supply the latter when such a test is deemed necessary.

has anyone seen this test performed on the car?

what is obvious ,the outer 100mm of the front wing are not restricted in their flexing so anything fixed only to the endplates may flex as it likes.

the load is applied only 800mm from the wheel centreline but the wing leading edge maybe 1000mm from the wheelcentreline...the adapter is 300 mm long so if youplace the hingepoint in the area of 650mm in front of the front wheelaxle ,the vertical force of 500n will not twist the wing at all..

adam2007

Flexible wing controversy 2010

who has pictures of this?

marcush.

Re: ferrari and redbull pictures ot the flexing wing

adam2007 wrote:who has pictures of this?
Mr.Whitmarsh.. :mrgreen:

shamikaze

the first thing that strikes me in the rules is that it is unspecified where on the horizontal plane the load will be applied (ie in the middle of the checked surface or towards the ends of it (75mm of the endplate). As long as it allows the adapter to be fitted, it isn't a problem where the flexibility is measured. Would the above imply that if the stiffest part passes the test the whole assembly/wing is approved ? if so, this test is completely useless.

If I read the rule above correctly, if the measured surface is smaller then the width of the adapter (ie less then 150mm), or lower from the ground then 50mm, according to the rule, they can't measure it's flexibility (becasue the adapter would not fit) hence, it can't officialy be disputed, even if it is flexing like grass in the wind. but I do admit, I don't know the whole rules and I haven't cross-checked the remaining articles in that particular section yet...

shamikaze

Found the rules and there are statements on where and how the load's are to be appliced depending the measured profile. For the sake of the thread, i'll copy-paste the 2 most relevant ones in here (rear-wing).

Unless I am reading the wrong rules, I did not find any similar detailled regulation on the flexing of the front-wing .

rear-wing:
3.17.6 The uppermost aerofoil element lying behind the rear wheel centre line may deflect no more than 5mm horizontally when a 500N load is applied horizontally. The load will be applied 950mm above the reference plane at three separate points which lie on the car centre line and 190mm either side of it. The loads will be applied in a rearward direction using a suitable 25mm wide adapter which must be supplied by the relevant team.

3.17.7 The forward-most aerofoil element lying behind the rear wheel centre line and which lies more than 730mm above the reference plane may deflect no more than 2mm vertically when a 200N load is applied vertically. The load will be applied in line with the trailing edge of the element at any point across its width. The loads will be applied using a suitable adapter, supplied by the relevant team, which :
- may be no more than 50mm wide ;
- which extends no more than 10mm forward of the trailing edge ;
- incorporates an 8mm female thread in the underside.

adam2007

Re: ferrari and redbull pictures ot the flexing wing

marcush. wrote:
adam2007 wrote:who has pictures of this?
Mr.Whitmarsh.. :mrgreen:
Thought their would be photos of this if its general knowledge to the public. thousands of photographers at the races surley some1 must have taken some, aargggg