BMW Sauber celebrated 50th race at Singapore
The premiere under floodlights was not the only milestone celebrated by the BMW Sauber F1 Team at the Singapore Grand Prix. It was also the 50th race for the team from Munich and Hinwil. We have put together some interesting facts and figures for you:
- The BMW Sauber F1 Team made its debut on 12th March 2006 at the Bahrain Grand Prix. Nick Heidfeld finished 12th and Jacques Villeneuve retired while running in ninth.
- In only the team's second race, the Malaysian Grand Prix, Villeneuve finished seventh to pick up two World Championship points. By the end of the 2006 season, the team has won 36 points. In 2007 it increases this tally to 101 points. Three races before the end of the current season, the BMW Sauber F1 Team has 120 points to its name - more than in any previous season.
- The BMW Sauber F1 Team has so far picked up 257 points. Only 12 teams in the history of Formula One can boast a greater total.
- At the 2006 Hungarian Grand Prix, Nick came third to claim the BMW Sauber F1 Team's maiden podium finish. Robert Kubica's debut on the podium came soon after that when he finished third in Italy. After 50 races, the team has 14 podium finishes under its belt.
- On four occasions, a BMW Sauber F1 Team driver has started from the front row of the grid. It was Robert, who claimed the team's first pole position at the 2008 Bahrain Grand Prix.
- Before this, Nick had claimed the BMW Sauber F1 Team's first ever fastest lap at a Grand Prix, in Malaysia. The 31-year-old repeated this feat at the 2008 German Grand Prix.
- 8th June 2008 is a huge date in the history of the team: Robert won the Canadian Grand Prix in Montreal. Nick came home second to make it a perfect one-two for the BMW Sauber F1 Team.
- The BMW Sauber F1 Team has so far held the lead at 12 races, and has completed 80 laps while leading.
- To date, the team has completed 5794 racing laps. This corresponds to a total distance of 28,321 kilometres.
Source BMW Sauber