Is F1 about to experience a climate change debate related existential crisis?

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Big Tea

Re: Is F1 about to experience a climate change debate related existential crisis?

I just watched 'ask Elvis' doing this article, and he pointed out something I had not considered, that Formula E has the SOLE rights to an electric series for the foreseeable future.
This means F1 has to go down a different path and stick with some sort of combustion engine, even if it is mostly used to drive a generator.
It seems that a combination of things are coming together to reshape F1 in short order. It could turn out to be a development race between 'green' technology and electric for not only racing but everyones road car too
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

AJI
AJI

Re: Is F1 about to experience a climate change debate related existential crisis?

Big Tea wrote:
15 Jan 2020, 00:56
I just watched 'ask Elvis' doing this article, and he pointed out something I had not considered, that Formula E has the SOLE rights to an electric series for the foreseeable future.
This means F1 has to go down a different path and stick with some sort of combustion engine, even if it is mostly used to drive a generator.
It seems that a combination of things are coming together to reshape F1 in short order. It could turn out to be a development race between 'green' technology and electric for not only racing but everyones road car too
Interesting. I hadn't considered that either. FE own the rights to pure electric until 2039 apparently... No wonder Pat is pushing 2 stroke.
"Ross said that Formula 1 could go electric in 10 years - and basically, they can't," Agag told Autosport.

"Formula E has an exclusive licence with the FIA for 25 seasons, and we've only done four.

"So the earliest Formula 1 could go electric is 2039, if we don't renew our agreement with the FIA then, but I don't see any reason why we shouldn't renew for longer.

"We have exclusivity until at least 2039 - so no electric F1 until then at least.
https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/13796 ... tric--agag

NathanOlder

Unless someone gets paid a load of money, or the 2 merge and keep the Formula 1 name as it has the history.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

izzy

Big Tea wrote:
15 Jan 2020, 00:56
it's such a ridiculously long period, by 2030-35 even F1 will have to be electric. Hopefully FIA will get sued for anti-competitive practices, or Liberty will just take the whole show away from them

Big Tea

Thinks) Maybe Bernie had already considered this before he sold out :twisted:

izzy

Big Tea wrote:
15 Jan 2020, 18:15
Bernie knows nobody with a Rolex wants battery racing cars!

Big Tea

izzy wrote:
15 Jan 2020, 19:31
Big Tea wrote:
15 Jan 2020, 18:15
Bernie knows nobody with a Rolex wants battery racing cars!
Thats watchist that is :mrgreen:

izzy

Big Tea wrote:
15 Jan 2020, 21:04
Thats watchist that is :mrgreen:
it's a good ist to be i think, why does anybody need one?? The average age of Rolex owners is 68! that's part of F1's problems isn't it, those demographics, so it can't afford to be out of touch about climate that young people generally are more tuned into. But they do seem to be trying, which is great

Zynerji

Better racing draws viewers, not the gasoline they burn, nor the plastic straws that the drivers drink from.

izzy

Zynerji wrote:
15 Jan 2020, 22:53
Better racing draws viewers, not the gasoline they burn, nor the plastic straws that the drivers drink from.
lol where did you get that from? if that were true we'd all be watching karts, then F3 then F2 and F1 hardly at all. They have a 'race' in Monaco!

it's BRAND, status, that makes the result matter. And something old and out of touch, with the wrong values, will just fade away if they don't fix it. How do you thing a normal-looking quiet girl stood outside her school with a placard and suddenly was a global superstar that Donald and Vlad had to try and put down? I mean yes the racing is a factor, but it's just one of a lot of factors that make the F1 brand and these days climate has to be one of them. In the old days it wasn't an issue, but now it is. People underestimate the effect social media's having on values, but Liberty is a media company so they get it. Same thing with the grid girls. Values baby :)

Big Tea

izzy wrote:
15 Jan 2020, 23:49
Zynerji wrote:
lol where did you get that from? if that were true we'd all be watching karts, then F3 then F2 and F1 hardly at all. They have a 'race' in Monaco!

it's BRAND, status, that makes the result matter. And something old and out of touch, with the wrong values, will just fade away if they don't fix it. How do you thing a normal-looking quiet girl stood outside her school with a placard and suddenly was a global superstar that Donald and Vlad had to try and put down? I mean yes the racing is a factor, but it's just one of a lot of factors that make the F1 brand and these days climate has to be one of them. In the old days it wasn't an issue, but now it is. People underestimate the effect social media's having on values, but Liberty is a media company so they get it. Same thing with the grid girls. Values baby :)
Elvis Mcdonald and Harley?

Zynerji

izzy wrote:
Zynerji wrote:

I guess I'm just a boomer, as the only reason that I watch motor racing is to watch motor racing.

I despise the "woke crowd" personally.

nzjrs

izzy wrote:
Zynerji wrote:

Wow, that's a long bow.

AJI
AJI

izzy wrote:
... but Liberty is a media company so they get it...
Do they though? What exactly have Liberty done to improve the brand, or the spectacle, or the racing, or the public perception of the sport..? A whole lot of toothless window dressing is all I see. The worst part, there has never been more restricted access in an era when access is everything.

izzy

AJI wrote:
16 Jan 2020, 01:10
izzy wrote:
... but Liberty is a media company so they get it...
Do they though? What exactly have Liberty done to improve the brand, or the spectacle, or the racing, or the public perception of the sport..? A whole lot of toothless window dressing is all I see. The worst part, there has never been more restricted access in an era when access is everything.
Oh I'm not defending Liberty generally, but they have set out this net zero carbon footprint policy, with local hubs, sea transport, less plastic and all that, non-fossil fuel and more efficient engines. And that's obviously to try and protect their brand as it all becomes more and more of an issue