COVID-19 could affect more races this year.

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
FrukostScones

Re: COVID-19 could affect more races this year.

nzjrs wrote:
26 May 2020, 21:00
Was meant as a joke, career ruined.

https://www.racefans.net/2020/05/26/abt ... from-audi/
poor boy.
I shed a tear.
Finishing races is important, but racing is more important.

NathanOlder

He's crap anyway. shouldn't have been in FE anywhere near as long as he was. Personally I thinks its crazy that he looks to have lost his seat over it, but he won't be missed.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

nzjrs

FrukostScones wrote:
26 May 2020, 23:07
nzjrs wrote:

poor boy.
I shed a tear.
It's reassuring to see some other FE drivers express their displeasure https://www.racefans.net/2020/05/26/str ... uspension/

siskue2005

What he did was unethical and no defending his actions in the online race, BUT to have real life consequences for a game is pushing the limit too much
Maybe ban him from future online races, thats it nothing more should have been done
Just my humble opinion

nzjrs

FrukostScones wrote:
26 May 2020, 23:07
nzjrs wrote:

poor boy.
I shed a tear.
Your hot takes are deep no doubt, but here is the best thing written on this whole subject:

https://katyfairman.com/2020/05/26/my-h ... ssion=true

strad

Guess he should have realized his bosses take the series seriously.
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

nzjrs

strad wrote:
27 May 2020, 18:58
Agree with you there. Some rather negative news about dieselgate also came out at the same time. Probbably unrelated I guess.

3jawchuck

nzjrs wrote:
27 May 2020, 19:24
strad wrote:
Some rather negative news about dieselgate also came out at the same time.
Oh, what?

nzjrs

3jawchuck wrote:
27 May 2020, 20:00
nzjrs wrote:
27 May 2020, 19:24
strad wrote:
Some rather negative news about dieselgate also came out at the same time.
Oh, what?
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-52795376

Wouter

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/14965 ... ilverstone

Formula 1 is reserving the first two weekends of August for races at Silverstone if UK government quarantine restrictions allow personnel to travel freely at that time.

The latest version of the European leg of the 2020 calendar is expected to be announced on Monday.

Hockenheim remains in reserve should other events, including Silverstone, fail to come to fruition.
Provisional 2020 European F1 calendar:

5 July - Austria

12 July - Austria

19 July - Hungary

2 August - Britain

9 August - Britain

16 August - Spain

30 August - Belgium

6 September - Italy
The Power of Dreams!

Just_a_fan

As we're missing so many races this year, here's an idea by one journo for his ultimate circuit:

I rather like it, although the GP would only be a handful of laps and they'd be changing tyres after two or three laps, but there is a bit of something for everyone in it. =D>
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

PlatinumZealot

AMG.Tzan wrote:
26 May 2020, 21:16
As for the racially discriminatory language...people these days are way too sensitive to WORDS and not ACTIONS! When at home alone everyone has the right to say whatever they want as long as no one is listening to them! And guess what...that's what he thought...that no one was listening to him! He wasn't referring to someone specifically! (I don't even remember his name)

And as i said back then he instantly regretted it and instantly apologized! Would you like not being given the chance to apologize or explain yourself for a moment of stupidity? It happens to everyone and it could have happened to you also...would you be ok if they ended your career when you know that you didn't mean to hurt anybody? I don't think you would be ok with that...
I know not targeted at me but..

I don't see how Racist language in public is a excused as a "moment of stupidity" for an experienced adult?

Ooh, maybe he is really racist but only in private, and since he was "working from home" he forgot he was being viewed by tens of thousands of persons? So it's Ok to let this person represent the sport? Nah...

For Daniel Abt. He had to be let go... What he did was cheating and in virtually all sports cheating is punishable by suspension or dismissal.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Tommy Cookers

PlatinumZealot wrote:
29 May 2020, 05:52
.... Ooh, maybe he is really racist but only in private ...
I thought that the law punishes (some) actions but doesn't punish thoughts/feelings
in part because the law cannot punish without evidence ie actions
in part because the law eg can/does measure blood alcohol but not thoughts/feelings

in this way the emergence of democracy has advanced the law
as pre-democracy the law did punish when it imagined people's thoughts/feelings were 'wrong'

have we now advanced to where we were before democracy ?

Just_a_fan

Tommy Cookers wrote:
29 May 2020, 10:03
PlatinumZealot wrote:
I thought that the law punishes (some) actions but doesn't punish thoughts/feelings
in part because the law eg can/does measure blood alcohol but not thoughts/feelings

as pre-democracy the law did punish when it imagined people's thoughts/feelings were 'wrong'

He was punished for an action - a public uttering of a word that is socially unacceptable because of its links to violence and degradation in the past (*). He might have thought he was uttering it in private, and if he did then that would be ok (in so far as no one would know and thus it wouldn't matter), but he was caught out.

The issue for some, is that things we say and think in private will possibly (probably) have a bearing on how we behave in public. Thus by association those who are linked to him will be tainted by that concern. Hence he was dropped.

I think he was stupid and was caught out. I think he needed to be shown to be getting some fall out from that. I don't think he deserved to lose his livelihood over it. I can see personal sponsors wanting to distance themselves from him, but his team could have just publicly bollocked him and given him a big fine (in the way of a pay cut, or even an actual fine which is then given to a suitable charity).

(* I'm not a fan of the moves by some to reach back in to history and demand apologies for things done many generations ago by people with very different attitudes to life than our own. Was slavery wrong? For us it absolutely is. For many back in the late 1700s etc., it was a way of life and entirely acceptable. Just like girls being married to old men (Princesses to Kings) was acceptable at certain points in history. Demanding apologies for things that happened 200 years ago isn't about justice, it's about personal revenge for something that never even happened to the person making the demand. Anyway, enough on that or it'll start a sub thread and awaken the Kraken. Sorry, Turbo. :wink: )
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

3jawchuck

Tommy Cookers wrote:
29 May 2020, 10:03
PlatinumZealot wrote:
He said n*gger, in public, at an official event of his series, while representing his employer and sponsors. Keyword here is "said".

He's not going to prison for it, he's not being sent to the colonies, he's not getting hung at dawn. He is, however, now a job-seeker. He didn't get punished for thoughts, he got punished for actions. I am not a big fan of PCness, but I am also not a fan of stupidity, that dude was dumb and paid the penalty for it.