Silly Season 2020/2021 (starting with silliness in 2019)

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
nzjrs

Re: Silly Season 2020/2021 (starting with silliness in 2019)

kptaylor wrote:
22 Oct 2020, 18:53
I guess it'll be Perez & Latifi for Williams since the new owners want money to rebuild the team and then sell to profit. Shame for Russell but hopefully frees him up from a Merc contract to be available to any team. Would love to see a VER/RUS team @ RB!
That's an interesting thought. Do RB have anything to bargain with that could convince Mercedes to give them Russel?

siskue2005

Wouter wrote:
22 Oct 2020, 11:38
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Ek7ConrXUAA ... name=small

I think Mazepin and Kvyat, if Dad Mazepin buys the team, only then.
And only if Mazepin finishes 5th or higher in the current F2 season :)
He currently only have 25 points in his superlisence, he needs 15 more.
Last edited by siskue2005 on 22 Oct 2020, 19:46, edited 1 time in total.

Big Tea

nzjrs wrote:
22 Oct 2020, 19:05
kptaylor wrote:
22 Oct 2020, 18:53
I guess it'll be Perez & Latifi for Williams since the new owners want money to rebuild the team and then sell to profit. Shame for Russell but hopefully frees him up from a Merc contract to be available to any team. Would love to see a VER/RUS team @ RB!
That's an interesting thought. Do RB have anything to bargain with that could convince Mercedes to give them Russel?

Ring, Ring. Hello. Hi Toto its Helmut.
Oh hi, what can I do for you?
Well, it's about this engine freeze thing. I understand you are trying to place one of your drivers?
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

NL_Fer
NL_Fer

They should fire Bottas for Russel. If Redbull fuss it up again, at least we will still have a show at the front row.

Wouter

NL_Fer wrote:
22 Oct 2020, 19:45
They should fire Bottas for Russel. If Redbull fuss it up again, at least we will still have a show at the front row.
Russell vs Hamilton a show? I don't think so! :wink:
The Power of Dreams!

NathanOlder

Wouter wrote:
22 Oct 2020, 19:50
NL_Fer wrote:
I think you would be surprised. Russell is an outstanding talent.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

Racer X

NathanOlder wrote:
23 Oct 2020, 01:04
Wouter wrote:
NL_Fer wrote:
Against Hamilton tho i think Mercedes is letting him properly develop so that they dont burn him out too quickly the way RedBull burns out all their drivers. Russell will be promoted when its time which will probably be when Hamilton leaves or Bottas's contract ends. Which ever comes first but another 2 seasons in a midfield team wont harm George. He will just further develop his skills and add experience then will be able to perform at the level Mercedes is looking for without being mentally unprepared for the pressure of being in a big team.
RedBull Racing Checo//PEREZ

NathanOlder

Racer X wrote:
23 Oct 2020, 01:32
NathanOlder wrote:
23 Oct 2020, 01:04
Wouter wrote:

Against Hamilton tho i think Mercedes is letting him properly develop so that they dont burn him out too quickly the way RedBull burns out all their drivers. Russell will be promoted when its time which will probably be when Hamilton leaves or Bottas's contract ends. Which ever comes first but another 2 seasons in a midfield team wont harm George. He will just further develop his skills and add experience then will be able to perform at the level Mercedes is looking for without being mentally unprepared for the pressure of being in a big team.
Maybe so. If I were Toto I would be looking at getting Lewis to sign a 3yr deal, so he can have a couple of years in the new regulations to see how it goes. Then that gives Mercedes chance to put George in with Lewis for 2 of those years. Year 1 for George he gets a free swing at it. No way will he be as bad as Albon or Gasly when they got thrown in next to Max. George can finish behind Lewis and not be criticized for it as its his first year. He can learn even more when racing the same car as Lewis instead of watching for a year like Ocon. Then in year 2 he will have to at least challenge Lewis over a season which I fully expect in year 1 anyway. Then George would have completed 5yrs in F1 and will be ready to lead the Mercedes Team as Lewis then retires. If Mercedes are still top dog they can then choose any driver they like to fill Lewis' seat with no pressure as they already have a new team leader. I cant see any other outcome other than this. The only possible stumbling block is Lewis not staying that long. I think he will definitely want to try the new cars in 2022, and Mercedes should only agree if he commits to 2yrs in the new rules. Everyone should be happy.

2021 - Hamilton - Bottas
2022 - Hamilton - Russell
2023 - Hamilton - Russell
2024 - Russell - any driver they think will fit.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

Manoah2u
Manoah2u

I don't think Russell will go anywhere but stay with Williams. If he DOES however move, it'll be lent out to HAAS. And I think that'll be either alongside Perez or alongside Schumi Jr.

It would greatly surprise me if Perez would go to Williams alongside Latifi. I can not for any chance believe that as he's getting manhandled by canadian rich pr*cks and there's been claims to avoid getting manhandled by russian Mazepin roebels, negotiations with Haas have been 'pauzed'. So i would be greatly surprised but very suspicious about any indication he'd go to Williams.
Only could see him go there if Latifi goes to Haas for example. But it's 2020. Nothing is sacred anymore.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

ScottB
ScottB

If Russell isn't in the Williams he'll be a Merc reserve next year. It's all down to money, presumably Mercedes will be given a chance to match whatever package Perez is willing to bring to Williams. Merc's CEO has recently spoken about the need for cost cutting, particularly in F1, so I can't see them upping their arrangement with Williams, and placing him with a non Mercedes team would cost even more in cash, with no engine / tech discounts to pair it with.

What it does do is likely put Bottas on notice that '21 will likely be his final year, assuming Mercedes really do think Russell is the real deal, there'd be no point loaning him back out in '22.

JordanMugen

ScottB wrote:
23 Oct 2020, 11:45
If Russell isn't in the Williams he'll be a Merc reserve next year.
That sounds ridiculous. Surely, by Mercedes having passed on Russell's services, Russell becomes a free agent from Mercedes GP Petronas and picks up a tasty Red Bull Racing contract for 2021 and beyond!

You snooze and inexplicably contract Bottas yet again, therefore you lose Mercedes. :wink:

The snail's pace at which the Mercedes junior driver program moves is just beyond ridiculous, neither Wehrlein or Ocon can be best pleased with the program either... Nor can di Resta or even Heidfeld whose works Mercedes or McLaren-Mercedes drives never materialised either...

ScottB
ScottB

JordanMugen wrote:
23 Oct 2020, 13:22
ScottB wrote:
23 Oct 2020, 11:45
If Russell isn't in the Williams he'll be a Merc reserve next year.
That sounds ridiculous. Surely, by Mercedes having passed on Russell's services, Russell becomes a free agent from Mercedes GP Petronas and picks up a tasty Red Bull Racing contract for 2021 and beyond!

You snooze and inexplicably contract Bottas yet again, therefore you lose Mercedes. :wink:

The snail's pace at which the Mercedes junior driver program moves is just beyond ridiculous, neither Wehrlein or Ocon can be best pleased with the program either... Nor can di Resta or even Heidfeld whose works Mercedes or McLaren-Mercedes drives never materialised either...
Might sound ridiculous, but that's the way it will go. Red Bull aint taking George Russell.

I'm not sure I agree, did di Resta or Heidfeld ever deserve a top seat? Maybe as a number 2, at the very best. Given the data they had available, Merc decided Bottas was a better bet than Ocon, releasing him to go to Renault. Pascal was a diva by all accounts who again never showed anything to suggest he deserved a Mercedes seat.

What happens to George depends on what's in his contract, but even if it had, say, a break clause that without a race seat he's free, where's he going without Mercedes backing? Nowhere. He has no sponsors, no money behind him. Haas are clear that they want 2 pay drivers, and Red Bull aren't going outside their stable for someone so prominently linked to Merc.

So in the end, George spends a year in the Merc simulator, and we wait to find out whether Mercedes think he's better than Bottas or not when deciding who gets a seat in 2022.
Last edited by ScottB on 23 Oct 2020, 16:13, edited 1 time in total.

Fulcrum
Fulcrum

I don't think Hamilton will be around in 2023. If he wins this year and next year I think he retires at the end of 2021.

NL_Fer
NL_Fer

Wouter wrote:
NL_Fer wrote:
Russel has been called the accountant in F2. His style not spectacular, but always maximizing his performance. I rate George higher than Lando Norris, who is has really impressed from his 1st race at McL. If Lando keeps up with Ricciardo next year, Russel must be exceptional.

Wouter

NL_Fer wrote:
23 Oct 2020, 15:42
Wouter wrote:
NL_Fer wrote:
Russel has been called the accountant in F2. His style not spectacular, but always maximizing his performance. I rate George higher than Lando Norris, who is has really impressed from his 1st race at McL. If Lando keeps up with Ricciardo next year, Russel must be exceptional.
If Russell were to ride alongside Lewis next season ( Lewis with all his years of experience and possibly the best driver at the moment), he will never be able to get close to Lewis, so no show. Maybe in a few years.
The Power of Dreams!