Vettel's 4 vs Hamilton's 6.

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
raymondu999

Re: Vettel's 4 vs Hamilton's 6.

I think the point is that if performance was the only consideration, Hamilton could maybe have won that season. I say could because who knows if it's something Lewis did (maybe banged a kerb too hard or somesuch) that caused that eventual engine failure? I'm not saying it's him that did it I'm saying there is a non-zero chance of it.

However I think even such engine failures would not have flipped their championship order in 2014-2015, and that is proof rosberg stepped up in 2016.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

NathanOlder

sosic2121 wrote:
22 Jan 2021, 09:25
Just_a_fan wrote:
22 Jan 2021, 02:47
sosic2121 wrote:
22 Jan 2021, 01:47

Hmmm, I thought that he lost it because Rosberg did what needed to be done, for example winning the race(Japan) after Malaysia.
And after that race he switched into "I only need to finish second" mode.
Even that faul play in last race couldn't keep him from finishing second :wink:
Rosberg did enough over the season to ensure he was able to capitalise on his team mate's misfortune. Job done.

There was no foul play in the last race. Foul play is causing a yellow flag on someone's Q3 lap, or driving someone towards a wall at high speed.
In 2014 Rosberg had a failure in the final race which decided that championship.

That was evened out with Lewis retirement at round 1 in Oz and the spark plug issue.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

El Scorchio

NathanOlder wrote:
22 Jan 2021, 15:17
sosic2121 wrote:
22 Jan 2021, 09:25
Just_a_fan wrote:
22 Jan 2021, 02:47

Rosberg did enough over the season to ensure he was able to capitalise on his team mate's misfortune. Job done.

There was no foul play in the last race. Foul play is causing a yellow flag on someone's Q3 lap, or driving someone towards a wall at high speed.
In 2014 Rosberg had a failure in the final race which decided that championship.

That was evened out with Lewis retirement at round 1 in Oz and the spark plug issue.
Also, let's not forget Hamilton led that last race from start to finish and was comfortable in the race and championship with enough points in the bag before Rosberg's issue, so even if Rosberg's failure didn't happen Hamilton could have finished second and still comfortably taken the title. In 2016 those 25 points Hamilton lost were the decisive factor, because he was ahead of Rosberg in that race.

Raymondu is correct though- Rosberg did enough to stay in a position to capitalise on bad fortune for his rival if/when it came, and happily for him, he got that decisive bit of good fortune which decided the title. But he had to keep himself close enough to be able to use it, so he deserves the props for that.

raymondu999

Like I’m not saying he outperformed lewis necessarily that year. But he did step it up and he must be given credit for “being close enough” to Lewis. This is not something he could even achieve in 2014/2015. Alonso’s entire remarkable 2012 season was based on “being close enough” for most of the season.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

prince

Suggestion: F1Technical.net should be renamed to "F1Hamilton.net". :wink:

aMessageToCharlie

Sounds about right.

dans79

If you don't like it, don't read it, it's a pretty simple concept! for example i avoid certain team threads because i can't stand the fanchild lovin-in.
197 104 103 7

prince

Citizen 1: There is too much pollution in the air.
Citizen 2: If you don't like it, don't breath it.

TimW

To me it is fine to see these discussions in topics like this one. Sometimes it is hilarious to see how some people keep responding because they feel so strongly about their driver.
But it is annoying when it takes over more sensible topics. E.g. the race threads often become unreadable.

Just_a_fan

prince wrote:
24 Jan 2021, 09:48
Citizen 1: There is too much pollution in this room.
Citizen 2: Then go in to the next room where there is no pollution.

:wink:
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

El Scorchio

To be fair this thread is clearly marked as to what the content will be. I’d be annoyed if it were one titled and started with a completely different subject in mind which was then ‘taken over’ but I’m not sure what else you’d be expecting to find in this particular one.

Just_a_fan

Ham-haters can't abide any talk about him anywhere. That much has been clear for a while.

I agree that some threads do get taken over, but there are a couple of threads where it is perfectly reasonable to expect discussions about him, and one with his name in the title would seem to be an obvious location.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

raymondu999

prince wrote:
24 Jan 2021, 09:48
To be fair — your analogy does not fit because breathing air is essential. Reading this specific thread in this specific forum is not.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

prince

The topic said, "Vettel' 4 Vs Hamilton's 6" and not "Biopic of Hamilton's Championships", which is what is being made available in this thread, which was there in another thread the other day, which was what was there in another thread last month, the last year and year before. :wink:

dans79

Most wins, most poles, tied for championships, etcetera etcetera.

There is a reason why he is talked about so frequently even if some don't want him to be!
197 104 103 7