How soon can Vettel win 2011 WDC?

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
beelsebob

Re: How soon can Vettel win 2011 WDC?

Jeffsvilleusa wrote:Isn't it also possible that Vettel has already clinched the title, though the mathematical possibility of someone else taking it exists. For instance, lets say Vettel wins three of the remaining five races, ending with say 400 points; his nearest rival, Button finished with say 250 points. Therefore, the difference of 150 points, or 6 wins would mean Vettel clinched it in Italy/Singapore?

I'm no mathematician, but isn't there some logic to this? Couldn't Vettel have clinched it already?
There is exactly one way that Vettel will not win the world championship this year:
Vettel: p > 10; p > 10; p > 10; p > 10; p > 10
Button: win; win; win; win; win.

raymondu999

Bob; that wasn't jeff's question. It's about counting back from the final standings. Clinching is based on current standings, to see if any driver has FUTURE chance of clinching this year's title Jeff. It's not about how many wins you end up ahead in the constructors.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

mnmracer

Jeffsvilleusa wrote:Isn't it also possible that Vettel has already clinched the title, though the mathematical possibility of someone else taking it exists. For instance, lets say Vettel wins three of the remaining five races, ending with say 400 points; his nearest rival, Button finished with say 250 points. Therefore, the difference of 150 points, or 6 wins would mean Vettel clinched it in Italy/Singapore?

I'm no mathematician, but isn't there some logic to this? Couldn't Vettel have clinched it already?
While you could look at it that way, it isn't really counted that way, because it would all be in hindsight. It is considered clinched at the moment there is no other way.

Definition of clinched: Conclusively settle

However, if you can come up with a nice definition for "at which point, in hindsight, he secured the title", I'll come up with some fun stats for you.

beelsebob

To be fair – even if he had died in an air crash, it would still require button to win every remaining race for Vettel not to become the second champion to be crowned posthumously.

raymondu999

Having said that I don't think anyone wishes any competitor of any sport to pass away. At least I hope not
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

beelsebob

raymondu999 wrote:Having said that I don't think anyone wishes any competitor of any sport to pass away. At least I hope not
Death to alonso! #-o
You're dead right raymondu – I hope not too.

raymondu999

Yup; it's one thing to wish your favourite to do well; quite another to wish the other to do bad, or even to wish harm upon them
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

Richard

mnmracer wrote:However, if you can come up with a nice definition for "at which point, in hindsight, he secured the title", I'll come up with some fun stats for you.
Take the WDC points lead over the 2nd driver at the end of the season, and then count back to see how many races the WDC could have sat on a beach and still win by 1 point.

PlatinumZealot

CHT wrote:
ringo wrote:well naturally if you are the youngest in one thing you'll be youngest in the rest, once in a good car.
He's not the least experienced champion or points scorer, though he may be the youngest. Race starts tell the real picture.

Anyway will he do it tomorrow, or will he be denied by the desperados?
Please don't tell this to Lewis Hamilton. For him being the youngest WDC does mean alot to him. That's part of the key ingredient you need to be the best of your generation.

And now that Vettel has out scored him in both wins and pole, and on route to his 2nd WDC, this will be a big mental blow for him.

It's all in the car. Only two people can get the best car every year. Vettel just happened to get the best car (and a dominant one at that) three times in a row.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

raymondu999

If you had said 2 I'd have agreed. On the balance of 2009 the Brawn was still a much better car both in terms of pace and reliability
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

mnmracer

richard_leeds wrote:
mnmracer wrote:However, if you can come up with a nice definition for "at which point, in hindsight, he secured the title", I'll come up with some fun stats for you.
Take the WDC points lead over the 2nd driver at the end of the season, and then count back to see how many races the WDC could have sat on a beach and still win by 1 point.
Michael Schumacher, 6.7 wins difference to Barrichello in 2002.

raymondu999

ringo wrote:
ringo wrote:He wont win ....

I still believe!!!

vettel is going down!!
He crashes twice and 2 engine failures. 8)
Button for 2011 WDC then Ringo? :P
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

raymondu999

ringo wrote:
ringo wrote:He wont win ....

I still believe!!!

vettel is going down!!
He crashes twice and 2 engine failures. 8)
So much for that then :P
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

Traction

So much of fail....
Generally I don't care about what people say. I have to be clear with myself. When everything goes well, people celebrate you, when you make mistakes people criticize you.
Sebastian Vettel