New Jersey Grand Prix track in 2013

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
FW17

New Jersey Grand Prix track in 2013

Formula One could have two grands prix in the USA by 2013 if new plans for a race in New Jersey come to fruition.

The Wall Street Journal reports that mayors of New Jersey townships Weehawken and West New York are in talks with private investors to put together an event by 2013. The proposed layout would be a street circuit on the New Jersey side of the Hudson River with the New York skyline as a backdrop. Key to the project is that it is self-sustainable and not reliant on tax dollars.

"In these uncertain economic times when every direct and indirect revenue source is vital, our own Formula One race could be a very positive boost to our citizens," mayors Richard Turner and Felix Roque said in a joint statement.

"This said, we need to ensure that the financial benefits from the privilege of having these races in our towns are equitably shared and that no tax dollars are used. The investor group has already told us that our towns would be substantially compensated annually."

According to the Wall Street Journal the talks are in "early stages" with Leo Hindery Jr. heading up the potential investors. A spokesman for New Jersey governor Chris Christie said the mayors have held preliminary talks about the proposal.

"The prospect of having Formula One come to New Jersey is exciting," he said.

The race would run alongside the US Grand Prix in Austin which will hold its inaugural race next year. F1 CEO Bernie Ecclestone has shown interest in bringing F1 to New Jersey before and last year revealed plans for a race there should Austin - which at that time was still in its planning stages - fall through.

"It would be in front of Manhattan in New Jersey, with the skyscrapers in the background," Ecclestone said, adding: "Fifteen minutes from the centre of New York to the circuit would be marvellous."

There were also talks last year of hosting a grand prix in Jersey City's Liberty State Park but mayor Jerramiah Healy vetoed the plans. The difference with the new project is that it has the local mayors' backing.
http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF&m ... 72be88fb6d

A 5 km track, looks quiet good on Google street view. I guess Mayor is hoping for a free GP (without sanction fee) to put it on par with Monaco.
Last edited by mx_tifoso on 21 May 2012, 03:03, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: changed NY to NJ

donskar
donskar

Re: New York Grand Prix track in 2013

williamsf1 wrote:
A 5 km track, looks quiet good on Google street view. I guess Mayor is hoping for a free GP (without sanction fee) to put it on par with Monaco.
"Free"? "without sanction fee"? Surely you jest. Not even the Sopranos (based in NJ, remember) could pull that off. Even though I live in the USA, I'd rather see how Austin does before dumping more bales of dollar bills in Bernie's coffers.
Enzo Ferrari was a great man. But he was not a good man. -- Phil Hill

Harvey
Harvey

WilliamsF1 wrote:

A 5 km track, looks quiet good on Google street view.

Where did that route come from..?

FW17

donskar wrote:williamsf1 wrote:
"Free"? "without sanction fee"? Surely you jest. Not even the Sopranos (based in NJ, remember) could pull that off. Even though I live in the USA, I'd rather see how Austin does before dumping more bales of dollar bills in Bernie's coffers.
NYC has the same appeal to F1 teams and Bernie as Monaco. If the city can put the plan together, NYC is in a lot better bargaining position than BE.

But if it happens I see Austin loosing big time, do not expect F1 fans to travel to 3 American Grand Prix's.

FW17

Harvey wrote:
WilliamsF1 wrote:

A 5 km track, looks quiet good on Google street view.

Where did that route come from..?

Was part of the article from Wall Street Journal

wesley123
wesley123

The route is looking pretty decent, although the area isnt quite attractive and they certainly wont be pulling off an Monaco by not paying to host the gp, if it goes around Ground Zero, the Metlife building and what not they might pull it off, but here, no way
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

Ferraripilot

won't happen. NY politics are insane. F1 will return to Watkins Glen before a race in the city will take place

Harvey
Harvey

WilliamsF1 wrote:

Was part of the article from Wall Street Journal
Ahh ok. Read pretty much the same article on Autosport and it didn't have any proposed track at all.

But I have to say, surely if they're going to propose a track in NY they'd put it in a bit of the city that the world thinks of when they picture "NY"? You know, Wall Street, Times Square, Brooklyn Bridge.

Mr Alcatraz

These are big-dinero entrepreneurs trying desperately to come up with money making ideas. They are playing with your head. This will never happen until it is realized that The US has a lot of F1 fans (not per capita) and can support two races. As for Canada we citizens of the US don't care if their race fails and it would not be part of the equation from our greedy perspective. :lol:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a1KtIJq5 ... ature=fvwp
Last edited by Mr Alcatraz on 03 Aug 2011, 18:10, edited 1 time in total.
Those who believe in telekinetics raise my hand

Giblet
Giblet

I thought Texas was given carte blanche for the USGP for a set number of years.
Before I do anything I ask myself “Would an idiot do that?” And if the answer is yes, I do not do that thing. - Dwight Schrute

Jersey Tom
Jersey Tom

If this goes down, better not be calling it the New York Grand Prix. That's weak and disgraceful.

Grand Prix of New Jersey. I'm down.
Grip is a four letter word. All opinions are my own and not those of current or previous employers.

Richard
Richard

pah!

To rival Monaco they need a DRS straight down Broadway, paddock in Battary park, a trip across the Brooklyn bridge, and an arena complex in Central Park - all linked by hopping on and off the shoreline freeway. Simples!

Just need a wormhole to link between Central park and Manhattan :D
Last edited by Richard on 03 Aug 2011, 19:23, edited 1 time in total.

SiLo

There is one problem here: The people in Monaco generally have enough money to just stop the a large part of the city for a couple of days for a race, can you imagine how difficult that would be in New York? Millions more people in New York than in Monaco, it could become too much I feel.

Not that I would love to see one there of course and it would probably sound pretty spectacular.
Felipe Baby!

Richard
Richard

Monaco may not pay an upfront fee, but that's more than compensated by the tax breaks. Bernie's not too fussed how the cash comes in, a rebate is as good as a fee.

jddh1

Ferraripilot wrote:won't happen. NY politics are insane. F1 will return to Watkins Glen before a race in the city will take place
Doesn't have anything to do with NY state or the city of New York. This is all New Jersey (and Jersey City in particular). As far as NYC goes, they'll probably just use it for the parties and hotels.