New Jersey Grand Prix track in 2013

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
strad

Re: New York Grand Prix track in 2013

astracrazy wrote:only person that makes money is MrE
+1
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

Pup
Pup

WilliamsF1 wrote:NJ is yet to reveal anything.
Do we even know who the promotors are?

xpensive

astracrazy wrote:only person that makes money is MrE
Which was xactly my point, if it wasn't for my poor english...
"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"

sknguy

Pup wrote:Do we even know who the promotors are?
Right now I think it's this Leo Hindrey Jr guy http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leo_Hindery. Interesting that "He also races cars, winning his class at the 24 Hours of Le Mans in a Porsche GT3." And here's a story on the race: http://www.kxan.com/dpp/news/local/aust ... 2013-track

It might be a good plan to alternate this race with the Austin one.

Pup
Pup

Re: New Jersey Grand Prix track in 2013

Sylt has written a new article over at pitpass on the two US races. Ostensibly, it's about Jersey, but it's really about both.

As with all of Sylt's articles, imo, it's more important to wonder about the article's motive rather than it's content. Regardless, it's very positive on Austin, and not so much so on Jersey. So at least for the time being, Bernie - sorry, I mean Sylt - has flipped his take on the two races.

http://www.pitpass.com/46332-Clouds-gat ... Grand-Prix

Pup
Pup

More rumbling over Jersey. I suppose we should all start waiving our hands in the air screming OMG!!! ONOZ!!! like we always do at this point. Care to get us started, x?
Formula One supremo Bernie Ecclestone has thrown the prospect of next year's proposed Grand Prix of America into serious doubt.

The race, on a street circuit in New Jersey with the Manhattan skyline serving as a backdrop, is scheduled to make its debut next year.

Although the event was announced in October, it is understood to have run into financial, and in turn, contractual difficulties with Ecclestone.

Ecclestone said: "I don't know if it is going to happen.

"I hope everything will be okay. They are sorting things out internally with some of their funds. If they are ready for 2013 we will have them."

Ecclestone's dream has long been to hold a race in New York, but he has confirmed the organisers "are late" with initial payments.

The 81-year-old, speaking to ESPN, added: "We are waiting for different parts of the contract to be agreed."

A race spokesman, however, has refused to confirm Ecclestone's remarks as he said: "We don't comment on our contractual relationship with Formula One or its details.

"We are on track for a June 2013 race, with all course engineering and construction progressing precisely on schedule, a strong management team in place, and strong ongoing support from New Jersey, New York City and the local communities involved.

"We are very confident the 2013 F1 Grand Prix of America will be a great event."

mx_tifoso

The same discussion policies from the Austin thread apply here; no politics, useless rants, etc. Please keep it informative and to the point as over there.
Forum guide: read before posting

"You do it, then it's done." - Kimi Räikkönen

Por las buenas soy amigo, por las malas soy campeón.

Scorpaguy

I'm unsure how, or if any, new tracks/circuits outside of the US make fiscal sense....but there seems to be a pattern here in the States. The newer Mid Eastern tracks had nearly unlimited funds to draw from, so are not a good comparison. The recent Asain tracks seem to have faired a bit better (but India was close). What is the newest European Facility? ....or do they just refurb the existing ones and not even try to start new facilities under current F1 Mgmt?

FW17

Scorpaguy wrote:I'm unsure how, or if any, new tracks/circuits outside of the US make fiscal sense....but there seems to be a pattern here in the States. The newer Mid Eastern tracks had nearly unlimited funds to draw from, so are not a good comparison. The recent Asain tracks seem to have faired a bit better (but India was close). What is the newest European Facility? ....or do they just refurb the existing ones and not even try to start new facilities under current F1 Mgmt?
Silverstone is the best example. The secret to turning a profit for the track is to have a busy season with as many race events as possible.

xpensive

Pup wrote:More rumbling over Jersey. I suppose we should all start waiving our hands in the air screming OMG!!! ONOZ!!! like we always do at this point. Care to get us started, x?
Formula One supremo Bernie Ecclestone has thrown the prospect of next year's proposed Grand Prix of America into serious doubt.
Oh no, that's just the usual bitching from MrE, I still believe that he went along with the NJGP as he was getting nervous about Austin ever going to happen. If you can't make a street-track in that part of the country economically viable, I think you might as well forget about Formula One in the US once and for all.

For us Europeans, the NJ race will simply be perfect when you can motivate the trip in combo with so many other things to do in the proximity, things which with all due respect Austin don't even come close to. Heck, I doubt if most Europeans would even know where the city is at, let alone try to talk your mistress into coming with you, but if you say New York, that's a different story!

bhall

Pup wrote:More rumbling over Jersey.
Ecclestone wades into these waters, without exception, for every new event.

The cynical side of me suspects he's floating the idea to aspiring countries that there may just be an opening available, "so have your money ready." The sensible side of me wishes that once, just once, the journalist or whoever he's feeding this tripe would logically follow up with something along the lines of, "Why do all new races seem to go through this period of doubt? Is FOM a stranger to DUE DILIGENCE?"

I wonder if Ecclestone knows that this tactic will blow up in his face after F1 goes public.

strad

They are sorting things out internally with some of their funds. If they are ready for 2013 we will have them."
Somebody is slow to deliver the bag money.
Reminds me a scene from the Godfather..Down in Cuba.
IF,,He looks in his account and there is 50 million he'll know we have a deal. ;)
And X is right of course about New Jersey being better for attracting all that euro trash. Image
Seriously I do think it would have better pulling power to the world tourist market, with no disrespect to our Texan friends.
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

beelsebob

WilliamsF1 wrote:
Scorpaguy wrote:I'm unsure how, or if any, new tracks/circuits outside of the US make fiscal sense....but there seems to be a pattern here in the States. The newer Mid Eastern tracks had nearly unlimited funds to draw from, so are not a good comparison. The recent Asain tracks seem to have faired a bit better (but India was close). What is the newest European Facility? ....or do they just refurb the existing ones and not even try to start new facilities under current F1 Mgmt?
Silverstone is the best example. The secret to turning a profit for the track is to have a busy season with as many race events as possible.
And to encourage nearly every single F1 team, and every engineering firm in britain to think they need to be on your doorstep, and paying you rent of course.

xpensive

strad wrote: ...
Somebody is slow to deliver the bag money.
Reminds me a scene from the Godfather..Down in Cuba.
IF,,He looks in his account and there is 50 million he'll know we have a deal. ;)
A business resemblance between MrE and Hyman Roth? Naah...?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PteyEDStTOE

This post will be erased of course but I couldn't help myself, sorry mods.

Pup
Pup

xpensive wrote:...I still believe that he went along with the NJGP as he was getting nervous about Austin ever going to happen...
He's always wanted the race, but certainly he used Austin as a negotiating tool with NJ, and then turned around and used NJ in his renegotiations with Austin. I don't think Bernie ever thought Austin wouldn't happen, but I do think he was more than happy to help or at least allow the original deal collapse if it meant that he could renegotiate after NJ had been announced.