New Jersey Grand Prix track in 2013

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
FW17

Re: New York Grand Prix track in 2013

xpensive wrote:"New York Grand Prix", will it really be called that, no wonder I couldn't find the thread?

This should be a race with certain credibility, politically-wise, access-wise, money-wise and local interest-wise.

This rightly should is a bigger question than the Autin GP. NJGP will be not be (as they say without any govt. support) will cost atleast as much as Melbourne but without the govt. hand out. How is this going to be sustainable for the promoter?

Also feel that way too many people are going to be watching the race for free from their houses overlooking the track.

RobertPthe3rd

I live in Fairfield County ct. Which touches westchester N.Y. there is huge money in this area. Between North Jersey, Westchester, and faifairfield couties. I'm not sure of the present rankings but all are in the top ten richest counties in the U.S.A. This race is gonna be awesome. I live like 2hr drive from the track. And for a street circuit it is fast. I can't wait. I never in a million years though a gp would show up in my back yard, when most are half a world a way. So psyched

countersteer

xpensive wrote:"New York Grand Prix", will it really be called that, no wonder I couldn't find the thread?

This should be a race with certain credibility, politically-wise, access-wise, money-wise and local interest-wise.
Just something to bitch about. Here we go again...

bhall

X, have you decided on your meme for this one yet?

xpensive

bhallg2k wrote:X, have you decided on your meme for this one yet?
Ah, but this one I like, just the way I described above, it should have all all the pre-conditions, which Austin so sadly misses,
in the box from the word go. Even access roads and parking lots perhaps?

Besides, when I believe you can find a natural interest for F1 within reasonable distance by car, train and air, you won't need
no PSL to fill the grandstands. Take a map of NE America and you will find some major cities within a 300 mile radius.

NYC, Philadelphia, Baltimore, DC, Pittsburgh, Toronto, Montreal, Boston...
"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"

Ferraripilot

I actually believe this is going to be the first US GP in a long time that has a good cultured crowd in attendance. I went to a few of the US GPs in Indianapolis and each year swore I would never go again as they were nothing more than a glorified tailgate party like the Indy 500 always has been. However, in Jersey, NYC is right there and we will see a more interested and cultured crowd IMO. I'm still on the fence about Austin as I believe it is going to be similar to how Indy was.

bhall

That this one will go off without a hitch is, I feel, a cosmic certainty. It was announced a mere few weeks after I moved away from the Philadelphia metropolitan area, where I'd lived for ten years, to Texas, which then, coincidentally, began having problems with its race. I doubt there's any correlation in the matter, but it wouldn't surprise me, either.

xpensive

The other thing I like is that these plans at least seem realistic timewise, no fantasies about building a brand new 300 MUSD
track with access roads, parking lots, electricity, broadband, waterlines, sewers and what not inside a 12 month timeframe.

Pup
Pup

It certainly should be realistic, since the only permanent structure is actually a parking garage for the ferry.

I think is a good strategy, frankly. But I do wonder how the 'temporary garages' that the lower half of the grid get will work.

And given the layout, I also wonder if this race will be Monaco-without-the-passing. :wink:

I mean, I hope it isn't, but the only good passing spot seems to be the hairpin, and even it's been Tilkefied with a weird kink.

Here's a somewhat high-res plan - don't think it's been posted yet...

flynfrog

Ferraripilot wrote:I actually believe this is going to be the first US GP in a long time that has a good cultured crowd in attendance. I went to a few of the US GPs in Indianapolis and each year swore I would never go again as they were nothing more than a glorified tailgate party like the Indy 500 always has been. However, in Jersey, NYC is right there and we will see a more interested and cultured crowd IMO. I'm still on the fence about Austin as I believe it is going to be similar to how Indy was.
If the Jersey shore crowd is the "good cultured" Ill take the tailgaters at Indy

Jersey Tom

flynfrog wrote:
Ferraripilot wrote:I actually believe this is going to be the first US GP in a long time that has a good cultured crowd in attendance. I went to a few of the US GPs in Indianapolis and each year swore I would never go again as they were nothing more than a glorified tailgate party like the Indy 500 always has been. However, in Jersey, NYC is right there and we will see a more interested and cultured crowd IMO. I'm still on the fence about Austin as I believe it is going to be similar to how Indy was.
If the Jersey shore crowd is the "good cultured" Ill take the tailgaters at Indy
Cast of Jersey Shore are all New Yorkers. They give my state and people a bad rep.
Grip is a four letter word. All opinions are my own and not those of current or previous employers.

Websta

I assume they will have an Indycar support race which will surely add to the local interest, providing that there is space for the IRL circus. Probably wouldn't be enough garage space. If that is the case, someone screwed up royally. Either way, I am as excited for this race as I was for Singapore in 2008!

xpensive

Websta wrote:I assume they will have an Indycar support race which will surely add to the local interest, providing that there is space for the IRL circus.
I doubt it. F1 don't need neither that circus of different color Dallaras driven by no-names, CART fifteen years ago would have
been a different matter though, nor their BBQ crowd. Besides, Tony George would never play second fiddle to anyone?

Don't think you find many beer soaked BBQs at this race, hoping for petrolheads, wealthy wasps and polished new englanders.

And of course, plenty of pissed-off texans.

strad

But I do wonder how the 'temporary garages' that the lower half of the grid get will work.
So do I after the hell Phoenix got put thru to provide the spoiled brats with "proper permanent paddock" structures.
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

Websta

xpensive wrote:
Websta wrote:I assume they will have an Indycar support race which will surely add to the local interest, providing that there is space for the IRL circus.
I doubt it. F1 don't need neither that circus of different color Dallaras driven by no-names, CART fifteen years ago would have
been a different matter though, nor their BBQ crowd. Besides, Tony George would never play second fiddle to anyone?

Don't think you find many beer soaked BBQs at this race, hoping for petrolheads, wealthy wasps and polished new englanders.

And of course, plenty of pissed-off texans.
I don't see the IRL staying away from what will become the most extravagant street circuit in the USA. If not on the F1 weekend, they surely will race there. But it would be most logical for them to be run at the same time.