Are we seeing a Vettel era?

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.

Are we?

Yes
39%
No
61%

Total votes: 140

raymondu999

Are we seeing a Vettel era?

Hey folks. Just thinking; the RB8+Vettel package is very successful this year; and incredibly dominant with a very healthy lead in the title chase. Or the title getaway; you might say. Do you folks think we might see a repeat of the domination of the Schumi-Ferrari years? Will we see an era of a few years dominated by a single driver winning them all?

Michael Schumacher in 2002 was the last driver to get points in all races in the year; and Vettel is on track to take that record up as well. He also could potentially, after this year, beat the record for number of podiums in a year (I think).

What do you all think, and why?
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

HampusA

Re: Are we seeing a Vettel era?

Red Bull era i think is more correct. The fact that Webber is so far behind shows that he has lost it since the title was taken from him last year.

Ferrari are very bullish about next year, i´m very excited to see what they can do with some aggression mixed in the design.
Newey might build a really bad car next year, who knows.
The truth will come out...

Mr Alcatraz

A fair question raymondu
The Oxford English Dictionary online charges $ to use it so,
according to The Merriam-Webster Dictionary online here are your choices.
1 a: a fixed point in time from which a series of years is reckoned b: a memorable or important date or event; especially: one that begins a new period in the history of a person or thing
2 : a system of chronological notation computed from a given date as basis
3 a: a period identified by some prominent figure or characteristic feature <the era of the horse and buggy> b: a stage in development (as of a person or thing) c: a large division of geologic time usually shorter than an eon <Paleozoic era>

Not meaning any disrespect to Red Bull or Vettel, Era's are generally defined in retrospect. 1 b is a good definition in regard to the Vettel/RedBull case. To that definition they may well be on their way.
A little more time will tell. :wink:
Those who believe in telekinetics raise my hand

ced381

We need more options in the poll actually:

-Yes
-No
-Maybe
-I don't know.
-Let's wait & see.

Then I'll vote.
'09 Volkswagen CC Sportline 2.0TSI 'Jennie'

i70q7m7ghw

Many felt Alonso+Renault were going to do the same, then they quickly dropped down the pecking order never to return.

It's possible, but I suspect McLaren/Ferrari are likely to be alot stronger next year.

Robbobnob

well i certainly see Vettel winning 3 in a row at this point.

The Mclaren showed this year that without its EBD its at a loss for downforce. When Ferrari throw caution to the wind, they often show trumps so it will be interesting to see how they fare next season. However Vettel has a team built around him now, and Webber floundering this year whilst Seb flourished has only nourished Seb. Particularly his partnership with Rocky, those two work so well in unison to push the car to the front and control the race
"I continuously go further and further learning about my own limitations, my body limitations, psychological limitations. It's a way of life for me." - Ayrton Senna

Traction

its definately going to be a Vettel/RBR era, the combination of the two is phenomenal and as long as Vettel is out on the track feeding the crew the info they need and making the recommendations as to what set up teh car needs in regards to fine tuning for a track then they will have a winning formula.
Generally I don't care about what people say. I have to be clear with myself. When everything goes well, people celebrate you, when you make mistakes people criticize you.
Sebastian Vettel

Giblet

I see any driver on the level of Vettel, Hamilton, Alonso, or even Button being dominant in that car against any teammate that is not on that 'level'. If the car stays dominant, barring any unforeseen driver pairings like him and Hamilton, he will be champion.

I just want to see him have a car that is far from a winner and see how he copes with it and the situation.

When the engines change, the best powertrain will be the best car I think until every thing equalizes in a year or two.

Basically, his chances are based in the Renault engine.
Before I do anything I ask myself “Would an idiot do that?” And if the answer is yes, I do not do that thing. - Dwight Schrute

munudeges

It was the same with Schumacher. From 2000 to 2004 he had a period of domination in that Ferrari that certainly handed him at least two championships on a plate.

HampusA

Traction wrote:its definately going to be a Vettel/RBR era, the combination of the two is phenomenal and as long as Vettel is out on the track feeding the crew the info they need and making the recommendations as to what set up teh car needs in regards to fine tuning for a track then they will have a winning formula.
In lala land this might work but in reality things work in a different manner.

raymondu999

Yes; Traction I think you're a bit too idealistic there. A good driver also needs a good car to win; and even a good car needs a good driver to drive it across the line.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

HampusA

Everything must aligne for success not just a good driver, good car but also a good team good spirit etc.

The driver is the key part though as it´s up to him to bring the success or not.
But with a superior car things are way easier then driving a car that doesn´t do what you want it to.

Just look at how balanced the RBR is when it lets go. Vettel stayed on the gas and even upshifted easy peasy.

Do that in a HRT and they would have to scrape you and your car of the barriers.

flynfrog

Giblet wrote: I just want to see him have a car that is far from a winner and see how he copes with it and the situation.
Like the STR that he won with?

Giblet

I'm talking about now that he is used to entering every single race with a chance to win, but driving a crap car you are contracted to would be character building. Alonso seem to truly appreciate these decent Ferraris after those dismal seasons with Renault.

Aside from that in Monza 2008 it was raining which is a great equalizer of machinery. Bourdais got 4th on the grid, but left it there at the start. As for raw pace though, his fastest lap was 1.25 seconds faster and the second quickest of the race vs Vettel, again outlining the car was the class of the field for that day. The rest of the season it was basically nowhere.

Not to take too much away from that day, but that STR was completely hooked up. That race and every other race he has won he was very flattered by the car he won with.

I am still undecided on everything about Vettel other than his raw open track pace which is blinding. I am still undecided after that pass on Alonso. When in a clearly faster car, I am not sure putting two wheels on the grass at 200 is a move that shows wisdom or racecraft. A very high risk maneuver that would work as often as it would fail.

Its not that I want him to have to suffer, but it would just answer my questions about him, either way.
Before I do anything I ask myself “Would an idiot do that?” And if the answer is yes, I do not do that thing. - Dwight Schrute

ajdavison2

I think I remember the STR was set up for the wet, whereas the rest of the field was set up for the dry, this is the main reason why I do not hold that victory in very high regard.