Are we seeing a Vettel era?

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.

Are we?

Yes
39%
No
61%

Total votes: 140

raymondu999

Re: Are we seeing a Vettel era?

The Pirellis changed a lot in behavior from the last test of last year to the first race of last year though; so I'm not sure that can be taken as a conclusive thing just yet.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

Pierce89

Shrieker wrote:First comments on 2012 tyres say the rears hold out longer, might be an indication that overall the Pirelli tyres will be closer to Bridgestones compared to 2011.
let's hope not. I loved the chaotic races at the start of 2011.
“To be able to actually make something is awfully nice”
Bruce McLaren on building his first McLaren racecars, 1970

“I've got to be careful what I say, but possibly to probably Juan would have had a bigger go”
Sir Frank Williams after the 2003 Canadian GP, where Ralf hesitated to pass brother M. Schumacher

raymondu999

I don't think it will change much to be honest - I think the chaos was more down to teams and engineers being unable to really plot out and predict the tyre lives and so there was probably still a bit of guesswork involved - since Turkey most races have really been about covering off the other guy's strategy IMO
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

PlatinumZealot

I will be keen to see If Red Bull pulls away out of DRS reach after race starts this year. EBD is gone now.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

raymondu999

I think by extension you mean - will the Red Bulls still be the fastest car without the EBD. Especially as last year there were many times when the McLaren were quicker in the races - the EBD loss could be the straw that breaks the camel's back.

But yes, I think that's the question on most people's minds
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

PlatinumZealot

Mclaren was only quicker in Japan. Only after RedBull made a setup error. All other races was just Vettel controlling the pace as any good driver does.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

raymondu999

Arguably there were others - Canada; Spain for example. It was just unfortunate that Spain is very in-conducive for overtaking - otherwise Lewis probably would've won the race with a 10 or so second gap.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

Shrieker

Just saw Vettel in the grandstand in Barca vs. Valencia game :mrgreen: He really seemed to be enjoying his time there !
Education is that which allows a nation free, independent, reputable life, and function as a high society; or it condemns it to captivity and poverty.
-Atatürk

raymondu999

Oh? Really? Any YouTube vids of it? :mrgreen: I don't follow footy, so... :P

Ironically it's the missus that follows footy :lol:
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

Hail22

Hopefully there will be no Red Bull/Vettel era.

I would like to see the Silver Arrows (not a fan of them by the way just an enthusiast), Ferrari and Mclaren duke it out this year with the Bulls staying in the pen at 4th place.

Imagine...Button/Hamilton Vs Alonso/Massa Vs Schumacher/Rosberg.

Rosberg has the potential for a WDC or two he just needs the support, Schumacher is the king of drift and rain affected racing so we shall see.

Alonso is a nut in a box that was proven last year with a horrible car.

Massa has something to prove as this may be his last year if he cannot perform.

Lewis wants to move on from 2011 due to his relationship issues.

Button he is a fans man he seems to hold pride especially at Melbourne/Silverstone.

Schumacher possibly his last year in Formula 1 can he pull off one more WDC to make it 8?
If someone said to me that you can have three wishes, my first would have been to get into racing, my second to be in Formula 1, my third to drive for Ferrari.

Gilles Villeneuve

CHT
CHT

Stirling Moss describes Sebastian Vettel as a modern Juan Manuel Fangio
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/97570

jamsbong
jamsbong

There are some who reckons Mclaren and Ferrari must have caught RedBull by now because they tend to have 'more resources'. Did Ross Brawn save all of 2011 development on this year's car? If so, Mercedes could be a dark horse which will bring a 4th team to a close match.

I am anxious to know if RedBull still have the edge over their opponents. Will it be an even match? if so, can Vettel take the pressure? Or will it be a year when another team dominates (although it seems unlikely)?

I think Mercedes is keen to continue to have Schumacher even after contract ends. I guess he contributes a lot behind the scene despite weaker in the championship standing compared to teammate.

Hail22

We must remember Vettel in 2010 when pressure was put on him he created a lot of mistakes, we only need look at Silverstone 2011 he was tail sliding when Webber put him under the pump.

If the grid is closer this year which i'm presuming will be watch Michael Schumacher, Alonso, Rosberg and Hamilton those 4 amigos do not like giving away positions and we can be assured of some action this year unlike last years lack luster season, we already knew who the winner was after turn 4... (a part from Canada of course that was a fantastic race!).
If someone said to me that you can have three wishes, my first would have been to get into racing, my second to be in Formula 1, my third to drive for Ferrari.

Gilles Villeneuve

raymondu999

Hail22 wrote:We must remember Vettel in 2010 when pressure was put on him he created a lot of mistakes
Yup. But at the same time - I don't think that the current Vettel is the same driver
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

RB7ate9
RB7ate9

raymondu999 wrote:
Hail22 wrote:We must remember Vettel in 2010 when pressure was put on him he created a lot of mistakes
Yup. But at the same time - I don't think that the current Vettel is the same driver
I second Raymond's notion.

In regards to Silverstone 2011, I think there's another factor there that continues to be overlooked (and I preface my following statement with the fact that I am a Webber fan, but the team aspect of Formula 1 cannot be underestimated) and that is Webber also being out on the track. If you are to include Rosberg and Schumacher and Massa in the tussle for the WDC with Vettel, than you cannot forget that Webber is a major thorn in their - and every other contender's - sides.

If Vettel was alone on the track, then I do not see him holding out for a 3rd WDC, as the field has a strong list of contenders that are aggressive enough to either overtake or hold him off in the first part of any race day. However, because he is part of a larger team that has Webber out there, there is that one other additional fast driver aching for points, but will also act as a player to upset other teams.

That is why I hope that whoever eventually replaces Webber has to be as fast as him or faster. The greatest advantage that Red Bull gets on race day is the full front row, and a teammate that can put pressure on those seeking pressure on the front-man. If the team, in addition to a great car and Vettel's improving skills, continues on the same strengths as last year, Vettel is sure to get another WDC.