Are we seeing a Vettel era?

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.

Are we?

Yes
39%
No
61%

Total votes: 140

lebesset

Re: Are we seeing a Vettel era?

richard_leeds wrote:"WDC material" is a rather absolute category. Unfortunately for some, luck does not go there way and we forget those who came second due to misfortune.

How many remember Peter Collins who was within 15 laps of the WDC in the final race of the season with the nearest rival sitting on the sidelines with a broken car?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peter_Coll ... _driver%29
I will never forget that...he said that fangio deserved another champiuonship and was at the end of his career

he didn't know he was at the end of his own career
to the optimist a glass is half full ; to the pessimist a glass is half empty ; to the F1 engineer the glass is twice as big as it needs to be

PlatinumZealot

Mandrake wrote:And your point is exactly what?
:roll:

When was the last time you hear a RedBull driver say that?
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

raymondu999

Abu Dhabi 2011. Here's the offending excerpt; from the post quali press conference:
especially after yesterday where to be honest I wasn’t very happy with the car
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

PlatinumZealot

raymondu999 wrote:Abu Dhabi 2011. Here's the offending excerpt; from the post quali press conference:
Who said it Vettel? And we all know what happend to him on lap one! haha..

Same for Balance. I don't recall an RBR driver complaining about working on balance right after a session.

This is ominous for the race ahead (AUS).
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

raymondu999

I think he said something to that effect in Hungary as well - though I can't be arsed to rifle through interview/quotes transcripts right now. How do you mean ominous? Ominous for who?
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

Nando

Funny how it´s called Vettel-era.

Sure he is without a doubt a good driver but like when Schumacher won everything with Ferrari i would probably refer that era to "The Ferrari Era"
Just as i would refer this to "The Red Bull Era"

They are hugely dominant cars of their times (well RB8 we don´t know but RB6, RB7)

I find years like 07-08 where cars are equal that you´ll see who´s really was the best driver of the top teams.

07-08 there was 4 to 5 drivers capable of winning the championship all taking points from each other.
"Il Phenomeno" - The one they fear the most!

"2% of the world's population own 50% of the world's wealth."

Mandrake

raymondu999 wrote:Abu Dhabi 2011. Here's the offending excerpt; from the post quali press conference:
I recall that Silverstone wasn't particularly good for Vettel in the beginning as well, too lazy to find out about exact statements......but you're style is really tabloid like...blow up a small statement to a massive problem...

*Thx for digging deep Ray :)

raymondu999

Nando wrote:Funny how it´s called Vettel-era.

Sure he is without a doubt a good driver but like when Schumacher won everything with Ferrari i would probably refer that era to "The Ferrari Era"
Just as i would refer this to "The Red Bull Era"

They are hugely dominant cars of their times (well RB8 we don´t know but RB6, RB7)

I find years like 07-08 where cars are equal that you´ll see who´s really was the best driver of the top teams.

07-08 there was 4 to 5 drivers capable of winning the championship all taking points from each other.
I don't dispute any of your statements; and to call it "drivername-era" or "teamname-era" is a bit of a judgment call. But you can't deny that during the "Ferrari era" in 2000-2004, and this "Red Bull era" (as you put it) in mid-2009-2011 (2012 is yet an unknown) one driver has consistently gotten the better of the other.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

PlatinumZealot

See? I know what I am talking about, you know.. :wink: the signals were there.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Fredy4

20120317 - the Vettel era ends, it was fun while it lasted.

yener

I told it would end and people called me stupid and dumb after posting it.

It's over :)
"Life is about passions - Thank you for sharing mine" MSC

raymondu999

Careful not to speak too soon. You never know - Red Bull's China updates might suddenly see them back at the top and taking the last 18 poles of the season.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

Mandrake

yener wrote:I told it would end and people called me stupid and dumb after posting it.

It's over :)
Second place in the championship after race 1. It's over, yes!

This is now what all of you wanted to see, Vettel in a worse car than the best of the field. Way too early to judge, but using Australia as benchmark he did bloody well...

raymondu999

Yep. He hounded down two clearly-quicker McLarens. He didn't make many inroads to them; but he was able to maintain a small enough gap to be able to jump Lewis with the safety car stop. Had he not kept up the pace before that - he still wouldn't be ahead of Lewis.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

N12ck

I believe we now know the answer to this question :)
Budding F1 Engineer