Vettel has a 10 kg weight advantage

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Captain Nemo

Vettel has a 10 kg weight advantage

This means Red bull can load him with 10 kg less fuel or 10 kg more fuel and tell him to beast the hell out of it.

Anyone disagree? F1 is becoming a farce again - the lightest driver in the fastest car wins...

marcush.

Re: Vettel has a 10 kg weight advantage

no .The minimum weight is without fuel.
The advantage is solely in ballast placement (height only this year) or if your team has failed to produce a underweight car you will be heavier.

a few years back the car was weighed without driver .Back then a more robust pedaler was always f..d as you could not even remove ballast to compensate.Today the team at least can try to compensate this .

Steven
Owner

Also note that the minimum weight of cars without fuel was also increased this year, especially to remove the need for drivers to lose weight for performance reasons (and to not suffer a weight penalty when fitting KERS).

HampusA

What is it this year 660kg?

Also should be said that even if he has a ballast advantage you still can´t put ballast wherever you like. I think there´s almost a fixed weight distribution this year aswell right?
The truth will come out...

ESPImperium

640kg this year.

However the weight limit is due to rise, i belive it will go to 650kg for 2013 and then stay at that for 2014 and there after.

Personally id like to see refueling back with the cars being 650kg so they can run larger KERS batteries for more boost from KERS, or instead of 6.6 seconds a lap, raise it to 15 seconds a lap. As for refueling, make it that the fuel stop has to be seprate from tires and done via two 22kg bottles simmilar to what they had in GT racing and what they have in NASCAR, like this:

http://www.chicane23store.com/index.php ... s_id=13636

Id also make it that each car has to have a spec 90kg fuel cell that has to be filled with at least 70kg of fuel for leaving the pit lane for the reconasance lap to the grid.

Captain Nemo

Precisely the minimum weight is without fuel, therefore you use the lighter driver to your advantage 10kg is a huge advantage, which is why generally Webber cannot catch him..

Giblet

So Massa should be the quickest driver then? Alonso is bulkier and taller than Massa who is pretty diminutive, but regularly out qualified and out raced.

They should really be trying to get Danica Patrick then. Shes like 100lbs! Or Zanardi, no legs at all. Imagine the packaging possibilities!
Before I do anything I ask myself “Would an idiot do that?” And if the answer is yes, I do not do that thing. - Dwight Schrute

raymondu999

Captain Nemo wrote:Precisely the minimum weight is without fuel, therefore you use the lighter driver to your advantage 10kg is a huge advantage, which is why generally Webber cannot catch him..
With 0 fuel; Webber+RB7 = 640kg. Vettel+RB7 = 640kg

Vettel is 10kg lighter but he has to use 10kg more ballast
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

godlameroso

Giblet wrote:So Massa should be the quickest driver then? Alonso is bulkier and taller than Massa who is pretty diminutive, but regularly out qualified and out raced.

They should really be trying to get Danica Patrick then. Shes like 100lbs! Or Zanardi, no legs at all. Imagine the packaging possibilities!
:lol: :lol: =D>
Saishū kōnā

Captain Nemo

Yes so Vettel can have 10 kg, less fuel... Even the team boss confirmed that
Last edited by Captain Nemo on 12 Sep 2011, 18:23, edited 1 time in total.

raymondu999

Huh? What? With a dry car, both weigh 640kg. If you want to use the same engine modes to run the races at the same speed for both drivers; you have to put in EQUAL amounts of fuel.

If they are both on the exact same strategy, they will weigh EXACTLY the same in qualifying; and EXACTLY the same in the race start. They means Vettel/Webber and their cars combined.

Because car+driver, with ZERO fuel, must = 640kg; then there is no "weight" advantage to the whole equation.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

LionKing

Obviously the creator of this thread is clueless about Formula 1 and he doesn't get it very quickly, if at all, when multiple people explain it to him ...
Last edited by LionKing on 13 Sep 2011, 17:40, edited 1 time in total.

raymondu999

Basically Nemo; Vettel has to have 10kg of metal put into his car so that he and Webber are the same weight in their cars. That's the easiest way I can think of explaining it.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

Traction

He obviously does not know what ballast is....
Generally I don't care about what people say. I have to be clear with myself. When everything goes well, people celebrate you, when you make mistakes people criticize you.
Sebastian Vettel

timbo

raymondu999 wrote:Basically Nemo; Vettel has to have 10kg of metal put into his car so that he and Webber are the same weight in their cars. That's the easiest way I can think of explaining it.
And that ballast would be of little use since we have fixed weight distribution this year.