Young Drivers Test: Abu Dhabi - 15th to 17th Nov 2011

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Giblet

Re: Young Drivers Test: Abu Dhabi - 15th to 17th Nov 2011

From the article I read interviewing a Cosworth engine guy, he spoke of oil analysis being very advanced as you say, but at the same time they would like to be able to crack open engines all the time as oil analysis is only one tool.

Having particles of an oil ring (random example) might tell you that your oil ring is deteriorating, but it doesn't tell you which one. Knowing which one can point to a bad materials batch and subsequently disqualify other oil rings from being used. Rebuilding an engine between races can also tell you things that are not discovered in oil analysis, such as a faulty bolt or other part not withing the lubrication system.
Before I do anything I ask myself “Would an idiot do that?” And if the answer is yes, I do not do that thing. - Dwight Schrute

JohnsonsEvilTwin

Re: Young Drivers Test: Abu Dhabi - 15th to 17th Nov 2011

The oil ring example you used was apt. Here's why :wink:

I read that no 2 rings are exactly the same, purposefully so. Something along the lines of they will use a certain material (minuscule in quantity) that shows up precisely which ring. We are talking molecular level here so trace quantities are all that is required.
I'm certain they'd all still kill to see the innards first hand, but this is near as dammit the next best thing that seems to be working a treat.

When you see their capacity and knowhow, you realise where all engine R&D cash is going. 8)
More could have been done.
David Purley