B.A.R introduce BAR007

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
bernard

Re: BAR Center wing !!!!!!!!

tabulous2003 wrote:Why do people think the wing in the center near the engine air in take is there to produce downforce ?????

it's there to aid air flow to the rear wing thus making the rear wing more effcient

:D
I don't think anyone has said anything stating the opposite. Or maybe it's just you who just found out about that and wanted to gloat with it, came here, found a random thread and posted that out of context post? :wink:

KJM3

BAR Sandbagging or Genuinely Slow???

Hey guys,

Over the past few weeks, BAR's lap times have been absolutely horrible. From my past observations of their team, they are not a team that sandbags to hide their true strength from the competition. In testing 2-3 winters ago, they were slow during testing and slow during the season. Last year, they were fast during testing and everyone said they were running underweight, but it turned out they were genuinely fast.

This year, they are constantly at the bottom of the time sheets along with Toyota.

From my perspective, there are 2 possibilites right now:
A: BAR are genuinely slow and have decided to take a risk on the "seamless shift" transmission in order to bridge the gap

B: BAR are sandbagging so that the FIA doesn't say "Hey BAR, you guys are so fast already, if you guys use your advanced tranny, you'll be too fast and the other teams will cry foul. Therefore we will ban your tranny"

Either way, this is NOT the pace I was expecting from BAR this winter.

The BAR 007's sidepods are much bulkier than the other top teams and it seems that they may not have packaged everything as tightly as they could have.

Plus, the rear wing failure on Sato's car leads me to believe that BAR have really dropped the ball after the departure of David Richards.

What do you guys think?

- KJ

Scuderia_Russ

You cannot say that the team has lost it just because of one wing failure.The only time we will find out the truth is on the 6th of March when everyone is on the same peice of tarmac. B.A.R. are relly pushing the boat out team wise and engineering wise to win the championship this year.
"Whether you think you can or can't, either way you are right."
-Henry Ford-

sid
sid

Sato has been having problems with that car very frequently :(
Scuderia_Russ wrote:You cannot say that the team has lost it just because of one wing failure.The only time we will find out the truth is on the 6th of March when everyone is on the same peice of tarmac. B.A.R. are relly pushing the boat out team wise and engineering wise to win the championship this year.
i agree with him on one point and that is we cant judge untill march 6th,
this is just testing. Hopefully they will improve.

Oh and while on the topic of sandbagging how many teams have done it before, does anybody know ?
sid - BAR 007 all the way

KJM3

Lots of teams do this on a regular basis. Ferrari did this last year, they were near the top of the timesheets during late winter testing after starting off very slowly in early testing.

Then when the season started, they blew EVERYONE out of the water.

- KJ

KJM3

BAR's Gearbox gets approved by the FIA and button ends up being 0.518s Faster than the next closest car which was JPM in the McLaren.

Looks like BAR quit the BS now that their gearbox has gotten the FIA's approval and can run the car as fast as possible without fear of the FIA changing their mind before the start of the season.

However, it still looks like the gearbox has some reliability problems. I'm sure they'll have that sorted out by Melbourne though.

- KJ

sid
sid

KJM3 wrote:BAR's Gearbox gets approved by the FIA and button ends up being 0.518s Faster than the next closest car which was JPM in the McLaren.

Looks like BAR quit the BS now that their gearbox has gotten the FIA's approval and can run the car as fast as possible without fear of the FIA changing their mind before the start of the season.

However, it still looks like the gearbox has some reliability problems. I'm sure they'll have that sorted out by Melbourne though.

- KJ
so this is a huge advantage for BAR or what?
sid - BAR 007 all the way

Scuderia_Russ

I have just read on Autosport.com that three other teams are developing seamless shift 'boxes with a view to running them from the start of the season. I cannot post a link because it is subscription only, but they are speculated to be McLaren, Renault and Williams. It is thought that the latter will not be reliable enough for Melbourne though.Mosely was reported to have praised the technology but also said "whether F1 can afford them or not is a different matter"
B.A.R.'s gearbox is carbon fibre though and McLaren are reported to have sorted their carbon fibre 'box out at the end of last season.
"Whether you think you can or can't, either way you are right."
-Henry Ford-

Reca

KJM3 wrote: BAR's Gearbox gets approved by the FIA and button ends up being 0.518s Faster than the next closest car which was JPM in the McLaren.

Actually I would be very interested in knowing if that time was achieved with the 2005 front wing or with the 2004 wing that Button was apparently using Friday :
http://www.f1racing.net/en/photolarge.p ... catID=1580

If the latter then I wouldn’t read so much in the sudden improvement, according to several sources the real issue for 2005 cars is the generation of downforce at the front (on the contrary downforce at the rear is relatively easier to find) as it’s also clearly visible judging by the experiments on the front wings made by different teams.
So, if it’s true that one of the 007 problems is the lack of downforce (as Sato said) it’s plausible that the problem is more at the front than at the rear and it’s very likely that a 2004 front wing could solve it, at least in part.
Well, after all there’s something we can read in the improvement... guys, you have to work on the front wing !!

BTW, when was the last time FIA said “that part would be illegal but since you’re slow you can use it” ?

Spencifer_Murphy

To be honest, as a fan Its nice to see all the winter testing and the development parts...this year in particular with Mclaren's strange bullhorn like airbox wing and Ferrari's interesting (rediculous?) mini-wing on their development car's front wing.

But the lap-times really mean nothing to me anymore. Mclaren's MP4-19 seemed like it was the car the 18 should have been...and it wasn't. The Williams FW26 was great in winter testing...and it was far from that throughout the season. Also if you remember a few years back...2001 I think...Prost started topping the timesheets at tests in Barcalona...they went into liquidation that same season.

Basically you really can't read too much into winter testing times...we have to wait untill Melbourne to find out whos hot this season and who is not.
Silence is golden when you don't know a good answer.